Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
I'm not aware of such a bug with elogind, no.

Are you aware of joke?
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp_Rulez wrote:
Right, found it!! Thanks, and yes it does mount it! Although there is no icons to "mount", the eject is showing up for the umount.

I've been holding off going with KDE 5 until things could settle out. (Like or not folks, this is the fifth iteration of what comes out of the KDE project, and regardless of how they want to package and update everything, disowning the name "KDE" is disingenuous. So while KDE 5 is not a single project but rather a major organizing principle for multiple products, it is in fact a thing. This constellation of stuff made a big transition between versions 4 and 5, and we're expected to jump.)

It's been ten months since Sharp_Rulez posted. How is it that no one at the KDE upstream has noticed this? For what it's worth, here's a bug report for the problem that a Gentoo user posted four years ago for Plasma 4: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=344438

In KDE 4, at least, the two icons of interest are emblems/emblem-mounted.png that displays when the device is present but unmounted (go figure!), and actions/media-eject.png when the device is mounted. Here are my observations in KDE 5: 1. no icon displays in the not-mounted state but a transparent-background eject icon displays in the mounted state, 2. the image that appears in the mounted state looks like actions/media-eject.png from the Breeze icon set, 3. the Breeze icon set has no emblems/emblem-mounted.png file (which accounts for the missing icon), but 4. that Breeze-style eject icon appears even though I have Air set as the desktop theme and Oxygen set as the icon theme.

So it looks like the Device Notifier ignores the global icon theme setting and does its own thing. Years ago I noticed that the global desktop themes include their own icon sets and that these govern what icons show up in the system tray. It's possible to override these by setting up your own preferred icons under your home directory. In KDE 5, the path for that directory is ~/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/theme-name/icons/. (In my case theme-name is "air".)

So now I got annoyed enough to dig through the source code to find what icon names the Device Notifier expects. The two file names are in the applets/devicenotifier/package/contents/ui/FullRepresentation.qml file in the plasma-workspace tarball. The .qml file specifies neither directory path nor filename extension. Those base names are media-eject and media-mount. Sure 'nuff, Breeze includes media-eject.svgz and media-mount.svgz, but Oxygen has only media-eject.png. The best I can say for KDE 5 on this score is that the file names make more sense now.

Great!...or not. I copied the two Oxygen-enriched files to my override directory:
Code:
 cp -p /usr/share/icons/oxygen/base/22x22/emblems/emblem-mounted.png \
     ~/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/air/icons/media-mount.png
 cp -p /usr/share/icons/oxygen/base/22x22/actions/media-eject.png  \
    ~/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/air/icons/
and found this still doesn't display the icons I want.

The Breeze set uses SVG's rather than PNG's. Could this be the problem? Actually, I suspect not. Just to try it out, I tried to copy some other .svgx file into the name media-mount.svgx, but I still got nothing.

I wish I had an answer, but I still don't.
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miket wrote:
The Breeze set uses SVG's rather than PNG's. Could this be the problem?

Still no idea about how to get the icons to work in the Device Notifier, but I did find a source of SVG's for the icons. They're a part of the oxygen-icons tarball you already have. The scalable ones of interest don't get installed, so you have to get them yourself. It's not hard at all.

You might have more than one of these tarballs, in fact. Find what you have by issuing
Code:
 ls /usr/portage/distfiles/oxygen-icons*

(If you keep your distfiles somewhere else--replace /usr/portage/distfiles with that path.)

Now change to the directory of interest and extract the files you need, then rename the one that needs renaming:
Code:
 # assuming your desktop theme is air and the tarball version is 5-5.40.0
 cd ~/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/air/icons
 tar xJf /usr/portage/distfiles/oxygen-icons5-5.40.0.tar.xz \
     --wildcards --strip-components=3 \
     '*/emblems/emblem-mounted.svgz' '*/actions/media-eject.svgz'
 mv emblems-mounted.svgz media-mount.svgz

I just wish it worked, though. :? At least I found the files you'd need (assuming it's Oxygen at least).
hedmo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an other problem with the automount. i cannot automount it via device notifier but i can mount it via dolphin.after i have
mount it in dolphin i have access.even if i can accsess it i can not modify it (create/remove or edit). but that works in pcmanfm

regards hedmo
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: