Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is there a slotted ebuild for libvpx-1.3.0 somewhere?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:07 am    Post subject: Is there a slotted ebuild for libvpx-1.3.0 somewhere? Reply with quote

Some games require libvpx-1.3.0 (libvpx.so.1), while rest of the system (mainly firefox and thunderbird) want version 1.5.0 or later. There was a binary incompatible change in libvpx, and gentoo ebuilds aren't slotted, so I can't have them both installed. For now, steam runtime provides the needed libvpx.so.1, but sometimes I would like to disable steam runtime to see if it solves a bug. I could use -system-libvpx or firefox, but was wondering has anyone found or made an ebuild for libvpx-1.3.0 that would play nice with later versions?

Posting in here instead of multimedia because this I mainly a consern for gamers.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing outdated libraries is almost always the wrong solution. Instead, you should bring forward the applications to work with the new library. If the libvpx change is a binary incompatible change, but source level compatible, then you should be able to just rebuild the games with the new headers.

If is is an API change, not an ABI change, then the games may need source patches to work with the new headers. Post which games are affected and we might be able to help you track down (or write) the required patches.
rh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least Dead Island and Saints Row 2 need libvpx.so.1. Both are from steam and closed source, so I don't know if writing a patch is an option. For OSS to my knowledge only recompiling is required. Thanks for offer to help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: