View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Pappy's preconfigs! Reply with quote

A long time ago, I ran a web site with preconfigured kernel configuration files. I sold that web site. Sadly, up to now, I haven't seen much effort on the part of those who purchased the site in updating or bringing the concept back to life. I have had numerous inquiries, and have decided that one good idea can spawn another. As long as I don't use the "S" word, then I should be right as rain. If not, there's no law against sharing configuration setups that work.

As it was in the past, these files will be built using the same settings I use to keep my machines in fine working order. As it was in the past, I will entertain the idea of setting up kernels for people, as long as they understand that when I get home from work, chilling is the order of the day, but twenty bucks is twenty bucks. As a friend I used to repair computers with was wont to say, "greasing the hands of technology can help it move along amazingly well."

These files will be updated on major revisions, only. In other words, the next one coming would be 4.8.0. This version just happens to be 4.7.3 because that is the version I was asked to setup for a user whose inquiry made me decide it was time to get back into what I love: Linux, and having any small part in helping it along. I will only release vanilla versions. They can be used with any and all kernels built upon vanilla through the use of the make oldconfig command. I am not planning on having a dedicated page, either. I will post the files here, and possibly also at Funtoo, although I haven't made my mind up on that one yet. Working on custom kernel sources is right out. Part of what burned me out the last time was keeping up with every change in so many different kernel packages. My internet situation also does not allow for much in the way of high speeds. Therefore vanilla-source and only vanilla-source configurations will be done. You can do the fine-grained stuff on custom sources on your own.

Without further ado, I give you Pappy's Preconfig for kernel version linux-4.7.3; 64-bit version:

EDIT: .config file removed to speed post along.

Last edited by pappy_mcfae on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT:

.config file removed. Click on links in page below.

Cheers,
Pappy

Last edited by pappy_mcfae on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, okay. In that case, I am going to post the files permanently at pastebin.

64-bit
32-bit

Cheers,
Pappy
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. Only one unrelated suggestion:
pappy_mcfae wrote:
Well, okay. In that case, I am going to post the files permanently at pastebin.

Wouldn't it be simplest to set up a github (or other git-server) project with it? Once initially done, updating should be very simple for you, and users can track changes e.g. if they need older kernels.
[n00b@localhost]
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also set up a gh-pages site and, once you'd published a vanilla config, users could submit pull requests with configs for other patchsets and point releases.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. This is about simplicity.

While all those things have merit, it's not the idea. All one really needs is the proper basics upon which to build. make oldconfig is a very powerful command, and used properly, with knowledge of your system, you won't need to reconfigure things, except for when some things that were once hidden are now setable options.

I haven't had to reconfigure my systems since i set up iptables. The kernel .config I use now on this machine has a direct line from the first kernel i ever compiled for it. Things have been tweaked, and Gentoo itself has changed a few kernel settings, and all those have been incorporated into the kernel that runs the system even as I type this response.

So, while doing some of those things might make for great projects for others, I am simply going to update the preconfig whenever a new kernel family is released. Like I said, that will be around the time of 4.8.0. For now, the latest vanilla version when I started was 4.7.3. That is only because it's the latest version of vanilla from kernel-dot-org. That is the only preconfig I will be releasing for the rest of 4.7.x.

Like I said, "simplicity."

Cheers,
Pappy
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
No. This is about simplicity

That's why I suggested e.g. github: Simple to upload for you (essentially just one one command), simpler to download for users than by pastebin (they can either download the config by web interface - as with pastebin - or they can just use one command line for downloading/updating), not to forget: Simple to find for user (e.g. search machines will find it).
The history for older kernels you get for free as a bonus (unless you intentionally remove it by rebasing). Similarly, it it easy for you to add/edit comments if you want. In case of github also public feedback/discussion is possible if you want - not necessarily restricted to gentoo forum users.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we have differing definitions of simplicity.

It is a lot easier for me, personally, to upload to pastebin, and post the permanent links here than it would be for me to learn the ins and outs of git. I have used git in the past, but usually as a means of updating something from 'out there'. For a time, git was the only way to get Zen-source kernels. To me, in this particular instance, using git is like using the finest china and crystal stemware for Thursday Night Beans and Weenies. Sure, it has a certain je ne sais quoi, but it ends up being a bit of overkill. It's like using a Lamborghini to deliver pizza.

If someone would like to set it up on github, I have absolutely no objections, as long as I am given credit for the actual .config files. As far as me going there, I don't really see me going there...at least at this point.

Cheers,
Pappy
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
It is a lot easier for me, personally, to upload to pastebin, and post the permanent links here than it would be for me to learn the ins and outs of git.

You don't have to!

I almost can't believe, that I am making this advertisement for github, but I just tried how hard it is: Without using git - just logging in and using their webinterface to upload files - I created an initial repository with your 2 files, a README, and GPL-3, then extended the README (just to see whether changing works), and then even tag'ed and published a tarball for the whole thing. I used this interface for the first time and needed altogether 30 minutes for it; most time of this in thinking what to write to the README, which license to choose, and finding and downloading your pastebin files.

Admittedly, in this manner it is about as simple/complicated as using pastebin for the maintainer (though for the user it is simpler to find, and interested users will become automatically be informed about possible updates). The real simplicity for you is when you uploaded your ssh public key: You once do (Replace "pappy/repo-name" by your github user name and repository name):
Code:
git clone https://github.com/pappy/repo-name
# insert into repo-name/.git/config after url= the line: pushurl = git+ssh://git@github.com/pappy/repo-name
and then just update your files in repo-name. When you are done, you commit your changes with
Code:
git add --all . && git commit -a
(I have a script which does this, because I never do remember these commands), possibly tag a new release with
Code:
git tag v0.1 -m "releasing v0.1"
(also for this I have a script), and then publish it on github with
Code:
git push -u origin master --tags
(again, I have a script for this). (Actually, also for the initial modification of .git/config, I have a script). Thus, just executing a few commands/scripts, and that's it...

Edit: Remove URL to repository - I removed it meanwhile.

Last edited by mv on Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae,

Welcome back.

You can have another subdomain on my server.

Your old ssh login is still there but you need to use -p 222 from IPv4 because its become a KVM on a Hetzner box rather than a server on an OVH system. If you have IPv6, it should just work. The old S-word mirror is still there. The new owners didn't ask me to take it down and I still pointed the odd user to it for the method, which remains valid.

There is a slight catch though. That server has an uncertain future. I retired from paid employment on the 31 Aug and its one of the things that may get cut to help make ends meet. It should be good until the end of the year though.

Maybe its worth talking to the buyers. As they have done nothing, they may be happy to write off their investment or sell it back to you for a nominal sum. At worst, they can only say no.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
jonathan183
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pappy's preconfigs! Reply with quote

@pappy_mcfae ... thanks

pappy_mcfae wrote:
As long as I don't use the "S" word, then I should be right as rain.

mv wrote:
You can find ...

I think the naming is exactly what was trying to be avoided ...

Last edited by jonathan183 on Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Pappy's preconfigs! Reply with quote

jonathan183 wrote:
I think the naming is exactly what was trying to be avoided ...

Sorry, if I misunderstood something: My intention was to be helpful, not offensive. The repository was mainly meant as an example/experiment anyway and will be removed in a few hours, if pappy_mcfae does not claim interest in it.
jonathan183
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Maybe its worth talking to the buyers.

I agree that would be the best next step, they could be intending or in the process of developing something ... or they may consider demand for updates is too low to be worth their effort - knowing that people are still interested could encourage them to share results of their developments.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone knows Daniel Robbins, and knows how he'd deal with such a thing, I'm open to input. Part of the reason I sold it to him and Funtoo was I figured someone in their organization would continue upkeep. That has not happened...at all. I'm sure, in the grand scheme of things, that such a thing is minuscule enough that it would have someone willing to devote even a few minutes to the idea.

I really don't want to buy the site back, because that would involve paying for upkeep on a dot-com address; a real luxury item considering my present financial situation. I just want the idea to not die because no one is willing to do it, for whatever reason. It's like having someone adopt your kid, then keep him chained in a darkened closet. While that's a bit hyperbolic, the idea of letting such a good idea go fallow is sad.

Since things are set up with git, and you have given needed commands, it would be rude to not at least look things over.

Also, thanks for working with git to set it up. I will probably IM you today to inquire about what I need to do to work with git in the manner you are discussing.

Got to dash.

Cheers,
Pappy
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
Also, thanks for working with git to set it up.

Actually, I had already removed it very quickly to avoid getting involved with possible copyright/naming conflicts which jonathan183 had mentioned.

Independent of that I have now made the scripts which I mentioned publicly available on github. They can be conveniently installed as dev-vcs/git-wrappers-mv from the mv overlay (over layman). They are probably overkill for you, since meanwhile they also deal with signing, releasing, versioning which all you don't need.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a bit busy at work. Prepared the new 4.8.0 preconfigs earlier, but didn't get time to upload the links until now.

32-bit
64-bit

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae,

Pastebin is the pits for something like this.
Do you want some server space again?

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and no. I'm wanting to take this slowly, and keep it as simple as possible. For internet service, I have the data plan on my smartphone which is piped into my network via a really old laptop which picks up the wireless signal from the phone, and distributes onto a wired LAN. It is one of the more interesting setups I've used, but it works really well.

The problem is I only get 1.5 gigs of high speed data, then everything slows to a crawl. The not so high speed data rate is less than if I were using a landline and PPP at 56k. Doing pretty much anything leads to a lot of frustration. Setting up and maintaining a web site would be another source.

While I'm sure I could whip up a site, I don't know that's what I want, in the end.

And, I need to stop procrastinating and contact D.R. Once that happens, mv could put the git repository back up. I'd have to learn git, but using it with Funtoo has shown me it's pretty useful, especially with the internet situation as it is. I suppose I could study it for a few hours or so, and get good enough to maintain a repository.

For me and my present purposes, pastebin is just the quickest and easiest way to get the files out there. I may want to expand in the future, but this works best for me at the moment. Things are sure to change, and I have some time until 4.9.0 comes out.

Cheers,
Pappy
EmaRsk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more you explain, the more it looks like Github would be perfect for your needs.

Out of curiosity, why is "seeds" taboo?
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
I'd have to learn git, but using it with Funtoo has shown me it's pretty useful, especially with the internet situation as it is. I suppose I could study it for a few hours or so, and get good enough to maintain a repository.

For me and my present purposes, pastebin is just the quickest and easiest way to get the files out there. I may want to expand in the future, but this works best for me at the moment. Things are sure to change, and I have some time until 4.9.0 comes out.

you could make things quick and easy on github too :) forget everything else or installing git, etc.. open http://github.com on your browser. click relevant file. click edit file. copy and paste. commit. done!

Last edited by josephg on Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:11 am; edited 2 times in total
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmaRsk wrote:
Out of curiosity, why is "seeds" taboo?

Answer to come. For now, the less said on that topic, the better.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. The quick answer. I sold the web site to the originator of Gentoo and Funtoo Linux, Daniel Robbins. My assumption is I also sold the right to the term, "kernel seed" while selling the site itself. To that end, I don't want what I am doing with the idea now to wear that moniker as I don't want to assume I still have any right to use the term.

Also, with the seed, there was a different concept. Each version (linux-3.0.0, linux-3.0.1, etc) was a separate entity, and I made one for different source types, such as vanilla-sources, Gentoo-sources, Zen-sources, and Hardened. The new concept is one preconfig for each family. Since all other kernels are built on vanilla-sources, there is no need to make discreet, individual files for each version and flavor. The nights of five hours devoted to uploading dozens of files are long, long, gone.

I mostly didn't want to discuss the idea too loudly and openly without discussing it with Daniel Robbins, first. I didn't want it to start to take off only to get a cease and desist notification on the issue. Not really what I'm wanting to do.

Calling the files preconfigs differentiates them from seeds in composition and style. They still boil down to all the basic, necessary kernel settings I use on my own machines. That part of the idea will never change.

Now that I have discussed things with Daniel, we shall see what happens next.

Cheers,
Pappy
EmaRsk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, OK, thanks.
I wish the best luck for your efforts, your project sure has been precious for me in the past.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
pappy_mcfae wrote:
Also, thanks for working with git to set it up.

Actually, I had already removed it very quickly to avoid getting involved with possible copyright/naming conflicts which jonathan183 had mentioned.

I sent an email to Daniel Robbins, and he's fine with setting up on github. Once it's up, PM me so you can give me the lowdown on getting things working. It feels good to be getting back into the swing of Linux.

Cheers,
Pappy
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i created this in 5mins entirely on the github website. no commands or commandline or local git install required. if i have gone overboard with any copyrights naming whatever, i will delete the entire lot straightaway. i only did this as demo for you.

http://github.com/josephg5/preconfig

you can do something like this yourself. or let me know your github username, and i can add this to yours.

Last edited by josephg on Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: