[solved]Problems building VTK with nvidia binaries installed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RayDude
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: [solved]Problems building VTK with nvidia binaries installed Reply with quote

I've had this problem for a while now. vtk won't build. cmake is complaining about two nvidia variables not being defined. Here's the output:

Code:
-- Found HDF5: /usr/lib64/libhdf5.so;/usr/lib64/libhdf5_hl.so;/usr/lib64/libhdf5.so;/usr/lib64/libpthread.so;/usr/lib64/libz.so;/usr/lib64/libdl.so;/usr/lib64/libm.so;/usr/lib64/libhdf5_hl.so;/usr/lib64/libhdf5.so;/usr/lib64/libhdf5_hl.so;/usr/lib64/libhdf5.so;/usr/lib64/libpthread.so;/usr/lib64/libz.so;/usr/lib64/libdl.so;/usr/lib64/libm.so (found version "1.8.14")
-- Found NetCDF: /usr/lib64/libnetcdf_c++.so;/usr/lib64/libnetcdf.so 
-- Looking for malloc.h
-- Looking for malloc.h - found
-- Found GL2PS: /usr/lib64/libgl2ps.so 
-- Found LibXml2: /usr/lib64/libxml2.so (found version "2.9.4")
-- Found OGGTHEORA: /usr/lib64/libogg.so 
-- Found PythonLibs: /usr/lib64/libpython2.7.so 
-- <<< Gentoo configuration >>>
Build type      Gentoo
Install path    /usr
Compiler flags:
C               -march=native -mtune=native -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fexcess-precision=fast 
C++             -march=native -mtune=native -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fexcess-precision=fast   -Wno-deprecated
Linker flags:
Executable      -Wl,--fatal-warnings -Wl,--no-undefined -lc -Wl,--fatal-warnings -Wl,--no-undefined -lc  -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed
Module          -Wl,--fatal-warnings -Wl,--no-undefined -lc -Wl,--fatal-warnings -Wl,--no-undefined -lc  -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed
Shared          -Wl,--fatal-warnings -Wl,--no-undefined -lc  -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed

CMake Error: The following variables are used in this project, but they are set to NOTFOUND.
Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the CMake files:
NVCtrlLib_INCLUDE_DIR (ADVANCED)
   used as include directory in directory /var/tmp/portage/sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3/work/VTK-6.1.0/Rendering/OpenGL
   used as include directory in directory /var/tmp/portage/sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3/work/VTK-6.1.0/Rendering/OpenGL
NVCtrlLib_LIBRARY (ADVANCED)
    linked by target "vtkRenderingOpenGL" in directory /var/tmp/portage/sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3/work/VTK-6.1.0/Rendering/OpenGL

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/var/tmp/portage/sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3/work/vtk-6.1.0_build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/var/tmp/portage/sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3/work/vtk-6.1.0_build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
 * ERROR: sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3::local failed (configure phase):
 *   cmake failed
 * Call stack:
 *     ebuild.sh, line  115:  Called src_configure
 *   environment, line 5897:  Called cmake-utils_src_configure
 *   environment, line 1159:  Called _cmake_execute_optionally 'src_configure'
 *   environment, line  524:  Called enable_cmake-utils_src_configure
 *   environment, line 1664:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       "${CMAKE_BINARY}" "${cmakeargs[@]}" "${CMAKE_USE_DIR}" || die "cmake failed";
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3::local'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3::local'`.
!!! When you file a bug report, please include the following information:
GENTOO_VM=icedtea-7  CLASSPATH="" JAVA_HOME="/etc/java-config-2/current-system-vm"
JAVACFLAGS="-source 1.5 -target 1.5" COMPILER=""
and of course, the output of emerge --info =vtk-6.1.0
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3/work/vtk-6.1.0_build'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3/work/VTK-6.1.0'

>>> Failed to emerge sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3, Log file:

>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3/temp/build.log'

* Messages for package sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3:

* ERROR: sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3::local failed (configure phase):
 *   cmake failed
 * Call stack:
 *   environment, line 5897:  Called cmake-utils_src_configure
 *   environment, line 1159:  Called _cmake_execute_optionally 'src_configure'
 *   environment, line  524:  Called enable_cmake-utils_src_configure
 *   environment, line 1664:  Called die
 *       "${CMAKE_BINARY}" "${cmakeargs[@]}" "${CMAKE_USE_DIR}" || die "cmake failed";
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3::local'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3::local'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3/work/vtk-6.1.0_build'

I've worked with cmake and know that it's not finding the nvidia libraries, but I know the nvidia drivers are installed, I'm using them right now. I just rebuilt them for my latest emerge @world.

I've googled the error and only found posts related to opengl not being installed...

Any ideas?

Last edited by RayDude on Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Josef.95
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
 ERROR: sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3::local failed (configure phase):

RayDude wrote:
Any ideas?
Try sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3::gentoo :)
RayDude
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify.

Yep. I shot myself in the foot.

But I'd like to point out that vtk has a dependency of nvidia-settings which is not needed for nvidia-drivers beyond 358.16.

I'm trying it with --nodeps at the moment.
RayDude
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still doesn't work.

Code:
CMake Error: The following variables are used in this project, but they are set to NOTFOUND.
Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the CMake files:
NVCtrlLib_LIBRARY (ADVANCED)
    linked by target "vtkRenderingOpenGL" in directory /var/tmp/portage/sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3/work/VTK-6.1.0/Rendering/OpenGL

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/var/tmp/portage/sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3/work/vtk-6.1.0_build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/var/tmp/portage/sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3/work/vtk-6.1.0_build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
 * ERROR: sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3::gentoo failed (configure phase):
 *   cmake failed
 * Call stack:
 *   environment, line 5917:  Called cmake-utils_src_configure
 *   environment, line 1158:  Called _cmake_execute_optionally 'src_configure'
 *   environment, line  523:  Called enable_cmake-utils_src_configure
 *   environment, line 1663:  Called die
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3::gentoo'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3::gentoo'`.
!!! When you file a bug report, please include the following information:
GENTOO_VM=icedtea-7  CLASSPATH="" JAVA_HOME="/etc/java-config-2/current-system-vm"
JAVACFLAGS="-source 1.5 -target 1.5" COMPILER=""
and of course, the output of emerge --info =vtk-6.1.0

>>> Failed to emerge sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3, Log file:

>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3/temp/build.log'

* Messages for package sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3:

* ERROR: sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3::gentoo failed (configure phase):
 *   cmake failed
 * Call stack:
 *   environment, line 5917:  Called cmake-utils_src_configure
 *   environment, line 1158:  Called _cmake_execute_optionally 'src_configure'
 *   environment, line  523:  Called enable_cmake-utils_src_configure
 *   environment, line 1663:  Called die
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3::gentoo'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r3::gentoo'`.

RayDude
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved this by first removing the vtk use from opencascade, then when opencascade wanted me to register to get the targz file I uninstalled it.

What's the point of being open software if you have to register for it?
Markus09
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: solution: check packages.provided Reply with quote

I also got the error message with the problem of
Code:

So I searched for the problem on the system and found that I set the package nvidia-settings as provided in the portage profile file package.provided.

This then prevent portage to install nvidia-drivers with USE flag static-libs in some way.
As this setting is not necessary any more, I removed the nvidia-settings entry, ...
and emerge let vtk-6.1.0-r3 build successfully.

Removing vtk was no option for me, as it is needed in dependency of freecad.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: