alsamixer not working when in X and not root [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helpplixplox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: alsamixer not working when in X and not root [SOLVED] Reply with quote

This install has been going for several months now, and I haven't had any problems with sound really before now.

I'm having problems with sound now.

I have absolutely no idea what happened. I updated e2fsprogs from 1.43.1 to 1.43.2 earlier, but I don't know if that would have caused any problems.

This came after another weird (maybe unrelated but whatever) problem I had, where I couldn't login to my main user account, but could log into root and my other user account. I tried becoming root and changing the problematic user password, but I was still told that the password was wrong. I removed the account and re-added it and that fixed it for some reason. I'm only saying this because it was really odd and happened at about the same time as this alsa thing.

Basically, I can open alsamixer from a tty as both a normal user and as root, and I can open it from X as root, but I am told "cannot open mixer: No such file or directory" when I try to open it from X as a normal user.

Does anybody have any clue at all why this could be happening, or have somewhere to start my troubleshooting journey here?

Last edited by helpplixplox on Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
helpplixplox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I guess I was right when I wondered if they were related. I hadn't added this account to the audio group yet.

Code:
# gpasswd -a <user> audio

fixed it.

I don't quite understand why it had worked from tty but not X. If I'm not in the audio group, I shouldn't be allowed to do it at all, right? And I also don't remember having done this several months ago when I made the account . . . But I guess it worked, and that's all that matters I guess (I guess ???)

If somebody has an answer to why it worked from tty but not X, I'm always interested in learning. I'm sure tagging the OP [SOLVED] is going to mean nobody's going to come look in this thread, but I'll do it anyway.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any of consolekit/policykit/systemd installed? They perform some hard-to-understand magic in the background to check whether someone is using a "physical console" and then hand out /dev/ ACLs based on it. They seem to get it wrong more often than not.

The alternative explanation is that group changes don't apply until a fresh login, running `id` where it's not working could confirm that.
helpplixplox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't. The weird part for me is how it worked in tty but not in X. But it works now after adding to audio group. I just realized I didn't tag this solved yet.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: