add block plus firefox
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farmer.ro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: add block plus firefox Reply with quote

I heard rumors that addblock plus extension for Firefox is bad software, is that true or false?
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use adblockers / pop up blcokers / flash blockers and some other extensions for my browsers.

Some adblocker extensions whitelists some ads and therfore are bad adblockers, because they were bought by these companies, i think amazon or so did that in the past ... They do blacklist some urls but whitelist some shopping urls, which may be annoying when you browse on amazon and see suddenly some new recommendations

And, what I doubt many do, I add entries to my /etc/hosts file. This entry overwrites DNS and causes these entries to be redirected to my local box.

e.g.

The facebook line is up to questions, but all those nasty facebook crap is basically gone when I browse.

I adapt as long my hosts file until most of those bugger pages just show, can not be displayed ... (opera does this for example)

Code:

127.0.0.1   http://www.facebook.com https://www.facebook.com www.facebook.com facebook.com
127.0.0.1   *.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1   *.google.at

When ad companies or homepage creators are too stupid to show me the full url to their crap, Its easy to create an entry and do not see it again next time it will be loaded on my box.
Syl20
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adblock plus works, but belongs to Eyeo, which is a private company. And their goal is to make money. So they added the concept of "acceptable ads", which can be viewed as a racket for the ads providers and as a lie for the end-users.

Second problem, the soft eats lots of system resources.

So if you want an efficient and "ethical" adblocker, consider uBlock Origin instead.
farmer.ro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

then it would be a personal choice for me: between (A) using one which provides more security but on the downside joining a "monopoly" or choose (B) to not use addblock feel freedom, however might be more exposed to possible web kit exploits.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: