amdgpu-pro causes some apps to be transparent in Cinnamon
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aewne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: amdgpu-pro causes some apps to be transparent in Cinnamon Reply with quote

So, I was feeling adventurous and decided to try the latest closed source amdgpu-pro drivers, available in ebuild form thanks to Lucretia's vulkan-overlay. The results are mostly good so far on the 4.7.1 kernel. Vulkan works in The Talos Principle, but not the vulkan demos (but hey, who cares?)

I had to apply this patch to media-libs/cogl in order to get both gdm and Cinnamon running. Otherwise there's only a black screen when starting X because cogl fails to compile some OpenGL shaders due to a version mismatch.

However, Steam and most OpenGL accelerated windows now look like this. I tried the latest ~amd64 packages of Cinnamon and most of its GNOME dependencies with no luck.

Checking my xorg.log, I noticed X loads the libglx.so module supplied by the xorg-server package (in /usr/lib64/xorg/...) instead of amdgpu-pro (from /usr/lib64/opengl/amdgpu-pro/...) despite having set this in my xorg config:
Code:
Section "Files"
        ModulePath "/usr/lib64/opengl/amdgpu-pro"
        ModulePath "/usr/lib32/xorg/modules"
        ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection
I switched them around, forcing X to load the amdgpu-pro provided libglx.so but still no luck.

Then I grabbed what was missing to get GNOME up and running to try and log into that environment instead, and lo and behold... No transparency issue. So currently the culprit seems to be Cinnamon's compositor, muffin. According to /r/linuxmint over on reddit, there seems to be a few users running amdgpu-pro with Cinnamon without issues. Also, according to this reddit post, it seems to be an issue when running KDE on Arch too.

emerge --info

So... Any tips on where to start digging?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: