[Solved] Steam launch Completely locks up my system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tefrem34
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: [Solved] Steam launch Completely locks up my system Reply with quote

Hello.

I have a been having a time trying to find a solution for my issue. I have no idea what happened and why it started doing this. About a month ago my son tried playing a game on my steam library, the game crashed and caused my whole screen to go one solid color. I had to hard reset my system to get back into my system. Now whenever I try launching steam everything freezes and I have to hard reset.
I took a picture of the the end of the message when running steam from the terminal. https://imgur.com/a/tIACggC
With the beginning of the message it complained about not finding gtk-theme (or some such) but I do not think that has anything to do with the crash.

I have rebuilt the kernel to the stable 5.4.75 to see if that was the issue but no changes. I also added "CFLAGS_x86="${CFLAGS_x86} -mstackrealign"" to my make.conf, that didn't help either.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by Tefrem34 on Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check your filesystem(s) for corruption after crash? And the integrity of your system with qcheck?
Tefrem34
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know how to check my filesystem for corruption or using qcheck.
Tefrem34
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran "qcheck -F steam" and the end output was
Code:
Checking steam ...
 MTIME: /usr/bin/qshell
 MTIME: /usr/bin/qtile-run
 MTIME: /usr/bin/dqtile-cmd
 MTIME: /usr/bin/qtile-top
 MTIME: /usr/bin/qtile-cmd
 MTIME: /usr/bin/qtile
 MTIME: /usr/bin/iqshell
  * 604 out of 611 files are good

eddit:
I also ran qcheck as root with no options and all of the outputs gave "files are good".
kajzer
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, obviously that game hosed the entire client, first time I'm hearing this but there's always a first time for everything :)
I mean if I understood correctly steam was working fine, other games were working fine, everything was proper until your son launched one game.
From that point on steam client isn't launching anymore and what's worse it freezes the system so you have to hard reset.

I wonder what that game is, would love to try this, if I have it.
Is it linux native game or it's windows game and it's launched with proton ?

Anyway, depending on how you install steam I can suggest re-installing it, if you have games installed on other partition or directory which isn't default then it's best just to delete .steam directory.
Or if it's not a bother to re-install all the games, if they are installed in the default folder, then you would have to do that.
That's one way to solve it, it's brute force but it would work.

btw when the steam client doesn't exit cleanly, on next launch it would verify the installation.
I don't know if that happened, but maybe there's some corruption in the filesystem, using fsck would be a good option, depending on /etc/fstab configuration it may check the filesystem automatically
Tefrem34
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was one of the driving games, dirt 5 maybe, I am not sure because I was asleep and was woken up by his meltdown that he couldn't play the game. I think that it was using proton, I do not get games unless they support linux, but the game was playing better with proton on.
Steam starts to launch, but when it gets to the auto login tab then it freezes my system.
I am pretty sure that I used the overlay for the steam install. I did a reinstall but I did not uninstall it first. I have it installed on my home dir so it, being on another drive is not a factor.
I will give deleting the .steam dir and see if that gets me anywhere. If I can get it working again, reinstalling my games is no biggy.

Thanks for suggestions, going to give it a go.
Tefrem34
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reinstalled it completely, removed all the steam dirs, as per the wiki, and reinstalled it all via overlay.
I was able to log in now without it crashing my system. Now to see if that game still crashes.

Thanks again for all the help.
kajzer
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if the game crash the client again you'll know what to do :D

Yeah some games run better with proton instead of native, DeusEx Mankind Divided is one of them for sure.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: