View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having replaced thermal paste, my radeon R7 250E does a pretty good job on WoW and I can set graphical settings rather high ( 8 ) without overheating and still having nice fps with wine staging and d3d9 activated. And I realized, that fps significantely increase when having the following section in a
radeon.conf @ /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/:

Code:

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Radeon"
   Driver      "radeon"
   Option      "DRI3"   "on"
EndSection

Are there some other lovely options for xorg.conf or driconf or else, that could help improve the performance of gpu even more? :D
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, what are your temperatures like now? Is it back down below 90°C even when stressing it (and reverting the FPS override of course!)?

I need to work on trying to get D3D better, the graphics drawing is much better in D3D9 mode but so much slower. Opengl mode sometimes doesn't draw all the monsters around and I can't tell what killed me...
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like WoW 7.1 was just released.

OpenGL is completely artifact-filled and almost unusable on my FGLRX/Radeon5770, so reverting to Direct3D.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Cool, what are your temperatures like now? Is it back down below 90°C even when stressing it (and reverting the FPS override of course!)?

I need to work on trying to get D3D better, the graphics drawing is much better in D3D9 mode but so much slower. Opengl mode sometimes doesn't draw all the monsters around and I can't tell what killed me...

Yes, often below 90 sometimes climbs up to 95 on very high load but then cools down quickly again. D3d9 with staging wine is very quick when having dri3 in xorg.conf! Although I cannot compare with opengl as wow is not starting with it.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More tips and tricks for World of Warcraft:

I just found out that the patcher needs all WoW files to be owned AND GROUP owned by the user.

If the WoW files are owned by you, but the group owner is not, even though you have full permissions to read/write the file, PATCHER WILL FAIL and give you "please login as administrator"

Wow... that's a really messed up bug. This is probably Wine trying to emulate something, something I have no idea.

Hope this helps anyone who has patcher/Agent issues.

Clarification:

If you're user "wowplayer" who is in group "wowgroup" and "audio" (for ALSA...) and your WoW directory files is

Code:
-rwxrwxrwx 1 wowplayer users 14485480 Nov  3 20:35 Wow.exe

THIS WILL FAIL AGENT.EXE because you're not in group "users" despite you have full access to modifying Wow.exe !!!

You need to fix the group to:
Code:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 wowplayer wowgroup 14485480 Nov  3 20:35 Wow.exe

for Agent to succeed.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to sort of repair my G965 machine, it had been dead for a few months as it wouldn't boot anymore due to hardware problems (refuses to POST and massive memory corruption problems). I got it to boot once more and updated WoW, and got like 4-8 FPS. Molasses slow.

This means my Q45 should work, but again, very slowly. Not sure what's up with my Q45, will need to figure out why it fails...
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tips and Tricks

I found a hack that seems to work for this error that you get from wine:

err:d3d:resource_init Out of adapter memory

I set Wine to use less memory than I have in my video card which seems to work...

I have 1GB on my RadeonHD 5770. I set Wine to use 768MB. Use
Code:
$ regedit

Search for path
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER//Software//Wine

Create a key "Direct3D" by right clicking on Wine, unless it's already there.
Then create an entry
Code:
VideoMemorySize

and set the entry to the amount of memory you want wine to use in MBytes, in my case I used 768. Then restart WoW if it was running.

It made the errors go away. The error trouble was worst when it is constantly trying to allocate video memory, and the frame rate drops to 4fps or worse when it seems to try to do garbage collection... Now without these errors, it works smoothly in Direct3D mode. I'll need to check OpenGL mode again with this hack - I stopped using OpenGL because it didn't draw out all the doodads, water, lava, and mobs... I was wondering why I was killed with no apparent cause...

Oh and this was 7.1.5... Still can't fly...
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there ANYONE whose OpenGL is working? It seems not - https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20749858224

An example is http://imgur.com/a/6BqOM ...

What's worse is that lava does not get drawn either, so you can hop into lava/fel and fry, or hop into water and drown...

It's a pity /opengl massively increases FPS over D3D9... and the last post in that thread seems to indicate opengl is indeed deprecated.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I copied my install to another disk and blew away ati-drivers and finally installed amdgpu/R600 ...

So far it looks OK. It actually seems a bit more stable than fglrx, less hangs (so far only hung once). I think I get a few more frames per second, to boot (d3d9 mode).

I did notice the gamma is really messed up, alas I run in windowed mode on one monitor, and don't know of any control panel like fglrx to change gamma... however xrandr can change the gamma:

xrandr --output DVI-0 --gamma 1.5:1.5:1.5

Now, I have dual monitors and knowing which output is which is some trouble, I just randomly selected them until it fixed the one that I wanted. Fortunately only one monitor had issues - though I can't remember if I had to set gamma on fglrx or not.

WoW on a mechanical disk is really slow... Using a 60MB/sec mechanical disk does not work well with WoW anymore, not sure about newer 160MB/sec hard drives.

I finally switched back to my SSD, muuch better...
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noted with the OSS Radeon driver, setting VideoMemorySize in the wine registry is a "bad idea" where it works well with FGLRX.

Might want to remove this option for OSS.

---

On a different note, it seems that WoW is stopping XP support. I had been using XP emulation in Wine as it worked the best...

Well, it still works the best. Though the WoW client works the same in Win7 or WinXP mode, for some reason the B.net launcher crashes in Win7 mode, but works fine win WinXP mode... Odd.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like 7.3 is causing problems, anyone get WoW to work?

Wow-64.exe pops up a window indicating initialization failed... thanks, very helpful Blizzard.

Spotty reports indicates some people getting it to work with newer versions of wine... with "overwatch patches"... of which none are in portage. Unfortunately when I tried 2.15 it failed the same way.

It looks like what happened is that Blizzard started using the DRM mechanism in Overwatch which current versions of Wine do not handle properly. Someone has patched 2.15 to work properly and supposedly this works. https://github.com/gamax92/wine-overwatch supposedly is a branch that contains the patch.

First look, there are a LOT of differences from 2.15 to gamax92's 2.15-overwatch :-( One big change is a new vector font of some sort. I'm not sure why this is in this repo...
Actually I found out: this repo has wine-staging, meaning wine prerelease code. The actual code is around 2500 line differences; staging is in the hundreds of thousands of differing lines.
---

It looks like this repo indeed allows me to login. It also defaults to DX11 and spews warnings. Make sure you switch your video settings back.
However I crashed when I portaled to Stormshield and now that character is stuck.
However if I switch back to DX11, I was able to login once more. In fact it seems to fix a lot of the issues I've seen. I guess I have to deal with the DX11 fixme spam.

BTW, someone has an overlay with these patches, take a read at:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20758687677?page=1#post-13

I didn't use this path - I hacked an ebuild with wine-2.15 (which I hope would be coming soon in portage). I got a diff between gamax92's git repo and put it in /etc/portage/patches and built wine that way.
mf2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the 32 bit client, it still works fine.

I don't think it has anything to do with DRM, but more likely with Blizzard moving support away from Windows XP, eliminating old graphics/DX stuff in the games - same with D3.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 32 bit version crashed on me prior to the overwatch patches; then again the 32 bit client keeps running out of RAM for me that it's not really usable.

If they were actually going to get rid of DX9, the easiest way is to just remove the option in the config options. Else what they're doing now is not eliminating code, they're neglecting code, just like the opengl code.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

made it working with the patch, thx eccerr0r, but it's limit to DX11 only (while the performance are poorer, it's usable unlike my previous try)
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea if it's DX9 support in wine or warcraft that's bitrotting. I would suspect the latter because I'm sure that there are a lot of other dx9 software that's being tested in wine that's not warcraft.

I noticed a new issue with DX11: when I move around, sometimes the screen jitters, or at least I never noticed it when using DX9. However all the problems I had with crashing is a lot better with DX11 for me with little speed hit (RadeonHD 5770 + OSS r600 radeonhd driver).

The "spam" I see is in the terminal window that I started wine/warcraft in.
Code:
fixme:d3d11:d3d11_immediate_context_Map Ignoring map_flags 0x100000.
fixme:d3d:wined3d_buffer_create Ignoring access flags (pool).

I get about 10 lines per second of warnings about DX11. In the past, these warnings tends to slow down or is an indication of the slowdown the rendering speed, but it doesn't look like it's not affecting rendering speeds that much..
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have 32-bit working, or at least running the 32-bit Wow.exe binary? After the last patch, it stopped working working and reports "game initialization failed"... it used to "fork" the 64-bit Wow-64.exe but no longer.
Utsuho Reiuji
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: World of warcraft d3d11 only Reply with quote

Hi guys,
so the new xpac in wow will be d3d11 only, support for d3d9 will be dropped after all. This is both great and bad. Luckily, wine support for d3d11 is already functional. But unfortunately, I can't get it to work:
Code:
wined3d_dll_init The GLSL shader backend has been disabled

For d3d11 to run, you need to enable the GLSL shader (via wine regedit). I did so, but the terminal output still gives this error (when explicitly adding -d3d11 as launch option for wow-64.exe). I reckon that I did something wrong on my gentoo installation of wine since this is all it takes for non-gentoo-users to enable directx 11.
I have the following version of wine installed:
Code:
*  app-emulation/wine-staging
      Latest version available: 2.21
      Latest version installed: 2.21

Did anyone get this to run on gentoo?
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Seems to work here.

I don't really play this one, but do occasionally test it out, and as such, the current client version I have is 7.2.5 (24430) from June 23 2017. Might update it a bit later...

I tried both, vanilla (3.0) and staging (2.21), with Wow-64.exe -d3d11, -d3d9, and -opengl.

What modification exactly did you make to the registry?

Perhaps try 'winetricks glsl=enabled'. This is enabled by default, so maybe it just got disabled in the past?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so we don't lose it, seems DX11 is needed for the new expansion (Battle for Azeroth) though it hasn't been released yet. The new races are available for pre-purchasers however but they seem just to mostly be re-skins. Whether a big long thread on WoW is better or individual topics I don't know...

Also - nail in coffin - https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20761016751
Utsuho Reiuji
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D, I added the key UseGLSL and set it to enabled.
I considered using winetricks, but installing it pulls in wine-vanilla, something I have no use for.

Oh well, I'm installing winetricks atm, let's see if this changes things. Maybe I have to create a new wineprefix for WoW...
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you not have 'virtual/wine' installed? While 'app-emulation/winetricks' does depend on that, it doesn't depend on 'wine-vanilla'. :]

That registry entry shouldn't be required, or at least I don't have it.
Utsuho Reiuji
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, installing winetricks pulls in wine-vanilla as well, but that's ok, I need it anyway for a few other games I intend to play.

So I got it to work finally. Apparently, the old prefix was bogus (probably because it was relatively old). A new prefix and the game allowed me to set it to directx 11 (had to do it in the ingame settings, then restart).
I'm surprised that the performance is that good already. I expected something like 10 fps, but I get ~30, yay!
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you got it working. :]

As for Winetricks pulling in 'vanilla', did you still have 'staging' installed?

Without any variant already installed, 'virtual/wine' will default to 'vanilla', but having 'staging' already installed should satisfy the virtual just fine. I just tested it locally, and it seems to work as I expected.

As one of the maintainers of the Wine packages, including 'app-emulation/winetricks', I'd be interested in getting to the bottom of this, perhaps in a different topic or even a bug report. If you'd rather not pursue it, that's fine too. ^^
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged the 6 posts out of 7 above (the one posted by eccerr0r falling betwixt) from 'World of warcraft d3d11 only', and split the remaining, other topic into its own: Winetricks and Dependencies
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8.0 Battle for Azeroth released. Launcher/Battle.net client has problems for me (can't pull up its internal web browser and also segfaults some of its apparently not-so-important threads). Otherwise game appears to be functional. The 32-bit client is GONE.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: