View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ceric35: this is not list of dlls you have in your prefix, this is an error in your winetricks complaining that filename is too long.
which raise the question, are you sure your winetricks work like is should and has install what you have ask it? (vcrun...)
ceric35
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
ceric35: this is not list of dlls you have in your prefix, this is an error in your winetricks complaining that filename is too long.
which raise the question, are you sure your winetricks work like is should and has install what you have ask it? (vcrun...)

Ha ok, maybe this is only an error with "list-installed" because:
Code:
WINEARCH=win32 winetricks corefonts vcrun2015
Using winetricks 20160628 - sha1sum: 50a251b30cdc417f8a9fee7508b8c61df74c3abd with wine-1.9.16 (Staging)
Executing w_do_call corefonts
corefonts already installed, skipping
Executing w_do_call vcrun2015
vcrun2015 already installed, skipping
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, right, that's due to a change (commit) in the code of winetricks later than 20160627 (and yes, 20160724 currently reports an incorrect version... for a moment there I thought I had messed something up with its commit, but it's upstream!).

I think installing things still works OK though.

Don't have any new ideas right now. It's starting to really bug me, too! :V
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also wondering if anyone seeing this, or how people use the client...

When in window mode, if I minimize in 7.0.3 and restore the window, the window goes all psychedelic or actually the pixel size gets so huge that it's worthless. Sometimes it doesn't come back. I have to kill the client and restart...
ceric35
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's working !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Following, post here : https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?iId=28855&sClass=version
"Open winecfg. Go to Libraries tab and add msvcp140 with default (native, builtin) setting"

msvcp140 was already here (with native, builtin) but, 10 others librairies was here. After deleted all but msvcp140, it's working.

eccerr0r wrote:

When in window mode, if I minimize in 7.0.3 and restore the window, the window goes all psychedelic or actually the pixel size gets so huge that it's worthless. Sometimes it doesn't come back. I have to kill the client and restart...

I don't have this issue. I always play in window mode and i can minimize client.
ceric35
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ceric35 wrote:
msvcp140 was already here (with native, builtin) but, 10 others librairies was here. After deleted all but msvcp140, it's working.

Just tested on a clean prefix:
winecfg lib tab is empty by default
:arrow: winetricks vcrun2015 corefonts
winecfg lib tab contains 12 libs

So it's a winetricks bug.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more recent testing, on Wine 1.9.18 (both with, and without Wine Staging, and with 'winetricks -q vcrun2015 corefonts'):
  • 64-bit and 32-bit executables work with DirectX 9 and 11 (though 11 isn't very usable, as is to be expected still).
  • OpenGL with 64-bit works for a while, before the stack overflow happens (happens after idling for a while, or when exiting game, while previously I had that before the game was even running).
  • OpenGL with 32-bit works okay, perhaps smoother-like than DirectX 9, though the FPS is still below 7 for a while after entering the realm, but gets up to 60 (where it's limited at) soon enough.
  • Using the 64-bit client, exiting the game often (always?) leaves the client hanging, until terminated manually.
I was sitting on a bed in a tavern(?), and didn't test actual game-play. Furthermore, I don't know what effects the streaming of data might have, for I tested with more or less the minimum amount of the game downloaded (prefix is about 4.2 GiB).

Note on 'winetricks': the 99999999 version now has a working 'list-installed' (notice 'dlls' is not a part of that command ^^).

eccerr0r wrote:

Something like this?

YouTube: World of Warcraft — Funky Graphics — 2016 09 06 19 47 44

Just recorded that (with 'media-video/obs-studio') while using DirectX 9, and indeed, it seems to only happen when using 'Windowed', but not when using 'Windowed (Fullscreen)' or 'Fullscreen'.

Also doesn't seem to happen while using OpenGL.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which GPU are you using, also nvidia-closedsource? Also did you test 32-bit mode on 32-on-64 or a pure 32 bit machine?

Lots of scatter brain comments here:

I wish there was a fps test for a known and fixed viewscreen that one could go to, there are a bunch of places in the game that goes to a fixed zoom, so that could be used for fps testing.

Interesting, yes DX9 seems very stable through Wine emulation. I have not tried DX11.

The 64 bit client sometimes takes a while to quit for me, but always quits fine.

When starting with /opengl my ATI FGLRX adapter no longer reports out of memory when in garrison (btw, seems horde level 3 garrison is worse than alliance for whatever reason...)

Also another graphics issue I see is that the game client crashes much more often if the window isn't always (window manager) focused - During load screens of any sort (specifically login and loading for instances, etc.) if the window isn't focused when you switch to another window like a browser, the game has a much higher chance of crashing.

And yes, that video is exactly what I see... I just hope I don't accidentally minimize when doing something critical, like a battle of some sort...
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Which GPU are you using, also nvidia-closedsource? Also did you test 32-bit mode on 32-on-64 or a pure 32 bit machine?

I remember I was going to add info about the GPU, but obviously the thought perished somewhere along the way...

I'm using 'x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-370.23' with a GTX 960 (should try nouveau soon since this seems to be supported now).

Tested on “32-on-64”.

Quote:
Also another graphics issue I see is that the game client crashes much more often if the window isn't always (window manager) focused - During load screens of any sort (specifically login and loading for instances, etc.) if the window isn't focused when you switch to another window like a browser, the game has a much higher chance of crashing.

I wonder if that happens with DirectX too, and if it might be the stack overflow crash that I'm experiencing (probably not).

Quote:
And yes, that video is exactly what I see... I just hope I don't accidentally minimize when doing something critical, like a battle of some sort...

Indeed, that could probe to be perilous. :]
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth posing the question to new subscribers, anyone tried playing Wine-WoW under Gnome?

The keyboard seem to "stick" and you will tend to overshoot your target position if you use arrow keys to move your character, otherwise the game works fine.

Using xfce4 was my workaround as the workaround to use the mouse to move was unpalatable :)
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay new issue. I was using OpenGL once more as it is indeed faster... but so many graphics artifacts... well sort of, it's better than running out of graphics memory and getting textures dropped. Except that, in Suramar, it looks like a whole bunch of things get chopped off and I couldn't see some of the NPCs that could detect my disguise. Wasn't that bad to kill them but had to revert back to D3D9 mode and suffer some frames/second loss to see the NPCs...

BTW the GPU that's having problems:

ATI RadeonHD 5770
1GB GDDR5, 1.2GHz RAM clock
PCIe 2.0 x16, GPU at 850MHz
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Black screen freeze Reply with quote

Out of curiosity I updated my wow to see, if it still works. It starts but unfortunatelly after some minutes my monitors go sleepmode all of a sudden and sound is looping. I only can hardreset computer as everything is locked. Is this a known behaviour and if so, how could I solve it?

The setup is a 64bit stable installation of gentoo which is up to date, with a Radeon R7 (cap verde Family) gpu, no xorg.conf using. I am using opensource radeonsi driver and direct rendering is enabled.

Things I have tried, but did not help.

- Deleted Config.wtf
- renamed .wine Folder and started with clean prefix with 'winetricks -q vcrun2015 corefonts'
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sounds" like a bug in the radeonsi driver. No user mode software should trigger a crash :(

I'm using fglrx (closed source) driver which even it has issues.

I recall trying to use the OSS Radeon driver a long time ago with an ATI X800 card that was able to get through login and see Stormwind for a few seconds, but then crashed (probably due to a bad motherboard)... so the OSS driver should work at least somewhat.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also login and even walk around for some minutes and I get about ~50 frames per second, thats promising...
I had used fglrx earlier but as it is depricated I decided to switch to radeonsi.

Is there any setting ingame that causes probs and should be deactivated, or do we have an example Config.wtf I could try?

I realized that ingame I only have DirectX9 version, I cannot switch to DirectX11, is the system missing some needed features?

I am willing to provide anything needed. I start with emerge --info:

Code:
Portage 2.3.0 (python 3.4.3-final-0, default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/plasma, gcc-4.9.3, glibc-2.22-r4, 4.7.4-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-4.7.4-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-2_Duo_CPU_E8500_@_3.16GHz-with-gentoo-2.2
KiB Swap:    9767516 total,   9767516 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Sat, 08 Oct 2016 22:00:01 +0000
sh bash 4.3_p48
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.25.1 p1.1) 2.25.1
app-shells/bash:          4.3_p48::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:            5.22.2::gentoo
dev-lang/python:          2.7.10-r1::gentoo, 3.4.3-r1::gentoo
dev-util/cmake:           3.5.2-r1::gentoo
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.28-r2::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.2::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc:          0.21.7::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.10-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13::gentoo, 2.69::gentoo
sys-devel/automake:       1.11.6-r1::gentoo, 1.12.6::gentoo, 1.14.1::gentoo, 1.15::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:       2.25.1-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:            4.9.3::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.7.3::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4.6::gentoo
sys-devel/make:           4.1-r1::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 4.3::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.22-r4::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000

x-portage
    masters: gentoo
    priority: 0

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"                                                                                                                         
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"                                                                                                                     
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"                                                                                                                         
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/sofficerc /usr/share/config /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"                                     
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"                                                                                                                               
CXXFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"                                                                                                                   
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"                                                                                                                     
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"                                                                                                                                 
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs candy config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"               
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"                                                                                                                                   
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"                                                                                                         
LANG="de_CH.UTF-8"                                                                                                                                   
LC_ALL="de_CH.UTF-8"                                                                                                                                 
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"                                                                                                                   
MAKEOPTS="-j3"                                                                                                                                       
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"                                                                                                                       
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"                                                                                                                               
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"                                                         
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"                                                                                                                           
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi aio alsa amd64 asyncns avahi berkdb bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo caps cdda cdr cli consolekit cracklib crypt cups cxx d3d9 dbus declarative dri dts dvd dvdr emboss encode equalizer exif fam ffmpeg firefox flac fortran gdbm gif gimp glamor glib gnutls gpm gtk hpcups iconv ipv6 jpeg jpeg2k kde kipi lcms ldap libnotify mad mmx mmxext mng modules mp3 mp4 mpeg multilib ncurses nls nptl ocr ogg opencl opengl openmax openmp orc osmesa pam pango pcre pdf phonon plasma png pni policykit ppds pulseaudio qml qt3support qt4 qt5 readline realtime s3tc sane scanner sdl seccomp semantic-desktop session spell spice sse sse2 sse3 ssh ssl ssse3 staging startup-notification svg symlink tcpd tiff tls truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb usbredir vaapi vde vdpau vhost-net vorbis webrtc-aec widgets wxwidgets x264 xa xattr xcb xcomposite xinerama xml xscreensaver xv xvid xvmc zlib" ABI_X86="64 32" ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump author" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx mmxext sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" KERNEL="linux" L10N="de el en fr it tr" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" LINGUAS="de el en fr it tr" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-6" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby20 ruby21" SANE_BACKENDS="pixma" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="radeon radeonsi" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CC, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, USE_PYTHON

DE is KDE Plasma 5.7.5

lspci|grep VGA
Code:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cape Verde PRO [Radeon HD 7750/8740 / R7 250E]

make.conf:
Code:
# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
# built this stage.
# Please consult /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for a more
# detailed example.
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
# WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
# Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml before changing.
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
# These are the USE flags that were used in addition to what is provided by the
# profile used for building.
CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx mmxext sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3"
USE="abi_x86_32 aio asyncns avahi caps -classic cups d3d9 equalizer ffmpeg gimp glib gnutls hpcups jpeg2k mmx mmxext ocr opencl openmax orc osmesa pdf pni pulseaudio realtime sane scanner spice sse sse2 sse3 ssh ssl ssse3 s3tc staging symlink tls usbredir vaapi vde vdpau vhost-net webrtc-aec xa xvmc"
ABI_X86="64 32"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
DISTDIR="${PORTDIR}/distfiles"
PKGDIR="${PORTDIR}/packages"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
VIDEO_CARDS="radeon radeonsi"
ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel"
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev"
LINGUAS="de el en fr it tr"
L10N="de el en fr it tr"
FEATURES="candy"
SANE_BACKENDS="pixma"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage

wgetpaste -c 'glxinfo'
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/yE5jXT2899szAskmRO6J/
wine in debugmode, perhaps this provides any usefull information:
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/FxZUiNV01aUrPv7J2myU/

Config.wtf:
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/09Ihe4frVBUOWT1AJe3u/

Should I update anything to see, wether this solves issue? Or do I need to switch any useflag on or off?

Last edited by Elleni on Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't look at software problems that you can control first. (EDIT: ooh, after reading this statement it looks very confusing.... but yes I actually mean what I write, literally, meaning: I think there's a patch needed versus a USE change.)

If you can run around and it seemingly randomly crashes I'd look into hardware problems first. I'd especially include hard crashes. See if underclocking your PCIe or GPU or CPU and see if it makes a difference. Unfortunately driver bugs or improper driver tuning can induce problems that look like hardware problems. And I suppose this is especially the case for newer video cards as the drivers are not well tested. Do you have any other 3D intensive programs to test with? I suppose the pixelcity demo/screensaver can get quite GPU intensive...

If you can predictably get it to crash I'd look into software problems first. Actually right now I can semi-predictably get it to crash by applying bonuses to followers on the follower board and quite possibly it's a software problem, but I can't rule it out hardware yet.

(Another problem that I notice on my machine as I wrote up in an earlier post, the game client would crash if I switch away/change focus from the WoW window. The thing is that it's not all the time, but it drastically increases the chance of a crash... I still think this is a software bug as well but can't completely rule out hardware...)
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having tried the kiss approach, and thus reverting back to pure stable system and deleting many useflags in make.conf, and even tried on other DE like xfce4 and still getting this hardcrash, I decided to follow your suggestion. I downloaded glmark2 for gpu stresstesting and guess what, I can reproduce the crash after running it for a while. So as this seems not to be related to wow I will open a separated thread. Thanks for your informations.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to pollute your new thread, things I'd try:

PSU:

Remove extra HDDs temporarily if you can.
Underclock your CPU despite it not being a problem, it will reduce load on your PSU giving more to your GPU. This would be a firmware/BIOS setup.

I would say a 240W PSU might be a bit weak for an external GPU system. Having two hard drives may make it even tougher for it to keep up. However it might also be just fine (I've been worrying about my core2duo box with 1 HDD and no GPU, and its weak 250W PSU. It was working fine for several years but now that computer died for some reason...)

Cooling:

Check for dust contamination on fans/heatsinks.
Open case and use a large external fan to blow on hardware.
Chill spray if you have it.

Software:

For WoW you could try to set the max frames/second limit lower and see if it will affect things. I should have suggested this earlier. On login screen click on System and then Advanced. On the right there should be a slider that you can reduce max foreground/background FPS lower, and do not be afraid to set it to something unplayable like 5fps at least for testing.

Turn off advanced graphics options (liquid detail, shadows, SSAO, particle density, view distance, clutter, environment details) though I think this only has a limited effect - the FPS has more effect. Try disabling each one by one possibly, perhaps there's one specific routine that exasperates the issue.

FGLRX:
If you could use fglrx, aticonfig can muck with your GPU clocks
aticonfig --od-enable
aticonfig --odgc
aticonfig --odsc=xxx,yyyy

It could be amdconfig in other versions, and might still be worth to try if you have fglrx installed but using radeon-oss drivers... Not sure if it works but can't hurt to try. There might be one specifically for radeon-oss but I have no idea.

Firmware:

Go into BIOS setup and see if you can reduce PCIe clock speed.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello eccerr0r, and thanks alot for your post!

I tried and removed temporarily not needed hardware (hdd, cdrw drive, 6 out of 8 GB of RAM), but I still was able to recreate the crash. I also cleaned dust as good as possible. As I did not want to downgrade X Server, I did not try fglrx though. And I could not downclock cpu and bus system because of limited BIOS from HP.

Anyhow, after having realized that system freezes when gpu gets 112 degrees on glmark2, I did as you suggested, and and limited framerate in wow to a minimum. That way there is no freeze. Even recommended gpu settings (4). I then slowly augmented limit of framerate to 16 fps with still no crash and gpu not going too hot. At about 20 fps the temerature reached the point, where system freezed. As mentioned in the other post, I unfortunatelyam not able to control fansspeed, I really would have liked to see what happens, if I could max the speed of cpu-,gpu and/or psu fans.

Now I still cannot be sure, whether a better psu will help, or if it is a overheat prob. The sensors tells me that crit value of temperature is 120, and it happens at 112 degrees, maybe this is a security thing, to not melt things, but it still could be the too weak psu, I will see, if I can organize a stronger one.

Meanwhile I am pretty sure, it is no problem with mesa opengl or anything like that. I will confirm that, by configuring system to support internal intel gpu and see if there are any issues when taking radeon gpu out of box.

At the moment I am reemerging stuf, and re-added some useflags to make.conf. Can you tell me which of the following useflag are worth setting, in order to get out most of the hardware for gaming / 3D performance, video playing and which ones I should leave away?

d3d9 dri3 frei0r opencl openmax osmesa staging uxa vdpau xvmc. I also wanted to enable s3tc and vaapi but those aparently conflict with staging useflag. Thanks for helping me sorting out, which ones make sense and help improve system performance and which ones are obsolete or unneeded.

Last but not least, is there a way to underclock gpu on software level, as bios does not support any advanced features?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, it looks like your PSU might actually be OK, probably marginal but sufficient. Reducing the load on the +12V line should have some effect on the GPU if it were a loading problem.

The 112 degrees, if it's in Celsius, is a problem. But first how are you reading 112 degrees, are you using lm-sensors with the gpu module? Assuming you are, yeah that's still way too high. There are two cutpoints, "high" and "crit" - high means warning, crit means critical and you "may have meltdown impending" kind of problem.

Does the heatsink of the GPU feel warm/hot? At 112C it should be scalding hot. If the heatsink isn't scalding hot, perhaps the heatsink needs to be reseated. If this is the case and your GPU is new, you should look into getting a RMA and getting another one.

A lot of the USE flags are for video.

"staging" has a lot of different meanings for different packages and versions of those packages. "staging" for wine appears to be a lot of not-so-well tested patches, try at your own risk.
d3d9 - you can try it, tells Mesa to track direct3d9 calls and with a patched Wine, WoW will be faster as no more d3d9 -> opengl translations won't be needed. I haven't tried this but it should speed up WoW in D3D mode. D3D is slower than straight opengl for WoW in the default setup.
vdpau and xvmc are for video, and if your applications use the API it will speed up video playback.
uxa I think is for speeding up 2D drawing but thought it was an Intel graphics thing, not sure if others drivers are following suit.
I think the others are just library calls and should only be enabled if your application needs it.

Finally, there should be a way to underclock but I personally don't know how for the OSS drivers.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, its by sensors output:

right now system is emerging stutt and compiling a new kernel and looks like:

Code:
radeon-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +74.0°C  (crit = +120.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:       +59.0°C  (high = +78.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:       +51.0°C  (high = +78.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

Only when gpu is on heavy load, gpu fans starts increasing speed but still heats up till 112 degrees.

Hm, what is a heatsink?
It is this card by the way:
http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/radeon-r7-250-eyefinity-4.1604.html

Unfortunatelly it is not new, and as I did not game for a long time on this box, I was not aware of the card possibly having a heatproblem.

Thanks also for pointing out the useflags, I will adjust them and report what happens with intel onboard chip, I guess it will work with no problem :)
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The large metal thing that sits between the fan and the actual chip/heat spreader is the heat sink. It looks like your heatsink is kind of special and may be designed for silence versus cooling...

There's a plastic thing on top of it. Don't remove it as it's a duct for the cool air. But you should be able to feel around it, towards the back I can see the fins of the heatsink. It should be roasting hot if the chip on die sensor is really 112°C.

I would imagine at 112°C the plastic should get hot too. But I'm suspecting it's not and the heatsink isn't making good contact with the chip on the board.

One thing that is somewhat of a problem in the past is that the OSS drivers tend to be focusing on performance over keeping power consumption in check. I don't know if this is the case with Radeon but it has been the case with Nouveau - the Nvidia OSS driver...

My old RadeonHD 5770 is running at 54°C in WoW right now. Ambient temperature is about 18°C.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, understood, I will check this, and maybe contact the support of producer of this gpu although its about 3 years old. And I'll also start looking around for a replacement card, that would fit in this smallform factor pc. Thanks very much, eccerr0r for your great support!!!! :D

Edit: When limiting fps to 24 and turning off second monitor, I can play with damn high settings without temp. going too high (about 93 degrees), so I am quite happy :) :D

Thanks again!

Last edited by Elleni on Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I removed radeon gpu from box in order to replace thermal paste, I use box with onboard i965 gpu for the moment. WoW does start, but is terribly slow - even lowest settings - on d3d9 and opengl mode does not start wow at all telling me it was not able to start 3D accelleration. Is there not to expect more from this gpu, or are there specific setting needed for intel i965 onboard gpu's?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was mucking with the i965 on my C2D board for a while but these are _very_ slow. I got around 8fps, some situations it will stay at 16fps, and max was around 30-40fps when it's showing an empty wall... it's pretty pitiful. If you're only getting like 1FPS, this is probably something else - you should get at least 8 or so, depending on the congestion where you're at.

You're not going to PVP or raid with it, but it should be fast enough to do some quests, play pokémon and auction house with. Yes, have to set options down all the way.

I had found a bunch of settings that helped the GPU a bit by making it show even less stuff (getting rid of unnecessary "doodads" as Blizzard calls them) and thus get a few more FPS, but it escapes me where it is right now...
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the same here as you described. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: