Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aiken wrote:
A nice surprise this morning is the wine-staging ebuild 5.22-r1 now has a mingw use flag. No more copying the ebuild to my local overlay and removing the --without mingw line.
There was no need for that, you just had to set EXTRA_ECONF="--with-mingw" through package.env to override it (may still be relevant if ever need it for older versions without the USE, but nice new versions won't need anymore).
Aiken
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had not realised that. Does not worry me too much considering multiple times a version that worked for me has been removed from the tree so I have fallen back to a working version still in my local overlay.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aiken wrote:
Had not realised that. Does not worry me too much considering multiple times a version that worked for me has been removed from the tree so I have fallen back to a working version still in my local overlay.
The ::wine overlay archive those versions and is what ::gentoo ebuilds are based on (it syncs changes with that overlay). You'll notably see the same 5.22-r1 with mingw there because that's where it was first added.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will there be a wine version that is just emerged and supports wow again? Or will that mingw Or will that mingw crosscompiling toolchain stuff be mandatory from now on? I had a look at gentoo mingw wiki but I don't understand yet, what I need to do to get system wine running wow successfully again.

For now I download playonlinux wine staging and use it to launch WoW through lutris, but thats just my workaround.
Frautoincnam
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
I had a look at gentoo mingw wiki but I don't understand yet, what I need to do to get system wine running wow successfully again.

Did you try to follow https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mingw and https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8518532-highlight-.html#8517878 ?

For wine, you just have to do :
Code:
emerge sys-devel/crossdev
crossdev --target x86_64-w64-mingw32

May be (not sure) :
Code:
crossdev --target i686-w64-mingw32

then emerge wine-staging with USE=mingw
Code:
eselect wine set wine-staging-5.22-r1

created a new profile (not necessary for me)
winecfg to set windows 10 (not necessary, works for me with windows 7)
winetrick to add dxvk (I installed it with binary from https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases, uncompress then ./setup_dxvk.sh install)

Tell us what error you get.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
Will there be a wine version that is just emerged and supports wow again? Or will that mingw Or will that mingw crosscompiling toolchain stuff be mandatory from now on? I had a look at gentoo mingw wiki but I don't understand yet, what I need to do to get system wine running wow successfully again.
I imagine it will be required for any foreseeable future, upstream is intensifying their usage of mingw to allow better compatibility without messy hacks.

From this end, trying to re-introduce (and support) possibly complex wine patches for WoW to work without mingw is too much, have to go with what upstream does (or at least for anything non-trivial).

It would be "nice" if portage ever has a proper way to emerge cross toolchains (or at least mingw) without going through crossdev and package.env (possibly(?) through an eclass+separate packages/targets/slots, and/or future eapi if needed), but solving that is outside the scope of what wine ebuild maintainers can do nor anything to expect in the near future.

That aside, once your crossdev+mingw setup is sorted out it's generally painless and packages just update on their own, so I'd see above post and try to have a look at what's wrong (may want to start a separate mingw thread for issues though).
Aiken
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frautoincnam wrote:

May be (not sure) :
Code:

With the mingw use flag being added the ebuild wants both. The new ebuild refuses to build wine-staging with mingw set if you don't have both x86_64-w64-mingw32 and i686-w64-mingw32 installed.

Wow was running for me up to 5.22-r1. Now back to 5.20 because of the blizzard app crashing. So far 5.20 stable. 5.21 sooner or later crashes. Anything 5.22 it crashes at start.
Frautoincnam
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aiken wrote:
With the mingw use flag being added the ebuild wants both. The new ebuild refuses to build wine-staging with mingw set if you don't have both x86_64-w64-mingw32 and i686-w64-mingw32 installed.

Good to know, thank you

Quote:
Wow was running for me up to 5.22-r1. Now back to 5.20 because of the blizzard app crashing. So far 5.20 stable. 5.21 sooner or later crashes. Anything 5.22 it crashes at start.

I stayed with 5.19.
"If it works, don't fix it."
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aiken wrote:
Frautoincnam wrote:

May be (not sure) :
Code:

If you want Wine to support both, 32 and 64 bits, you'll indeed need a 32 and a 64 bit compiler.
Aiken
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:

If you need Wine to support both, 32 and 64 bits, you'll indeed need a 32 and a 64 bit compiler.

It was very easy to build a 64/32 bit wine staging with only a 64 bit mingw compiler installed. Whether it was wise or not it was very easy. The only step needed was to not install a 32 bit mingw.

Wine staging refusing to build if you do not have both mingw 64 and 32 is new to 5.22-r1. Earlier ebuilds or compiling wine manually configure would select the normal gcc if the appropriate mingw compiler was not installed. So it was very possible to build a 64/32 bit wine staging with only a 64 bit mingw installed as the system gcc was used to build the 32 bit part.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aiken wrote:
It was very easy to build a 64/32 bit wine staging with only a 64 bit mingw compiler installed. Whether it was wise or not it was very easy. The only step needed was to not install a 32 bit mingw.

Wine staging refusing to build if you do not have both mingw 64 and 32 is new to 5.22-r1. Earlier ebuilds or compiling wine manually configure would select the normal gcc if the appropriate mingw compiler was not installed. So it was very possible to build a 64/32 bit wine staging with only a 64 bit mingw installed as the system gcc was used to build the 32 bit part.

That's without setting '--with-mingw'?

I guess it would be possible via automagic, but we can't really do that in the official ebuilds.

I'm also doubtful that upstream is keen to support such a mixed configuration, especially since they're more or less expecting PE files these days...

That being said, I think the most we can do, is support building Wine with 64-bit enabled only, which already is possible.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah.
I got my other machine working again *IN LINUX* inadvertently.

For grins i installed Wine-vanilla-5.0.1 and tried running WoW. I did not do any patching to Wine-vanilla ebuild. It actually started running without the weird shared memory file problem. But it hung... very similar to the issue as Windows 7 (which I still have not been able to get working!) - it opened a window and stuck there. Wine did report a paging fault of some kind in the logs as it hung.

So for more grins I tried running wine-staging 5.0.20 again... AND IT STARTED WORKING! Was able to login after b.net another update, but logged in!

Graphics - I noticed I'm seeing similar psychedelic coloring on this machine (intel graphics), but I seem to be able to lightswitch it by turning on DX11-legacy. DX11 "normal" runs about 10% slower but does not have the color problems. 10% might not seem much but I'm fighting for every frame per second on these slow GPUs...

I will need to see how bad this looks in Bastion again. The blackened roads are pretty unnerving as one feels like they're going to fall off the world at any time into a black pit, coupled with the fact it seems there are spots where you can fall into an endless pit in Bastion (anyone know?!)

[EDIT]
Bastion looks like a bastard too. However I did notice this error:
Code:
0298:fixme:d3d:wined3d_context_gl_bind_shader_resources Shader 0x9c084630 needs 18 samplers, but only 16 are supported.

so quite possibly ran out of resources on both my GPUs? Anyone see this in Bastion of Shadowlands?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curiosity - do people see a window flash by every time they start WoW? The window opens and instantly closes, if you're not looking you'll never see the window show up.

Is this Warden starting up? Or something else?

Just a little paranoid at unexpected windows showing up...

----

Also, anyone tried wine-staging 6.1 yet?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, got a mega patch lately.

Also another stealth patch today, except b.net launcher gives a black screen now where just a few days ago it was fine!

"wine-vk-init Failed to load Wine graphics driver supporting vulkan." -- uh... I said I didn't have a card that supports vulkan :(

Sigh. Fortunately agent is still running and downloading patches, just can't see the progress within b.net app.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems the recent update to =media-libs/mesa-21.0.3 breaks some peoples' Wine-WoW. Fails with a very weird bad X11 event.

Unmasking =media-libs/mesa-21.1.2 appears to have fixed it. No improvement on graphics front.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to rant here.

First off, battle.net client is blackscreen after I login or continue without logging in. Okay, fine, it's a GUI.

What really pisses me off:

Agent.exe

Agent appears to be the "bittorrent" or distributed downloader. At only 400KB/sec, I can't believe it completely chomps down one core of my i7 100% of the time. It even occasionally pulls all 8 threads of my i7.

A DOWNLOADER using this much CPU? Granted sure it may need to do hash checks but it's NOT reading the disk at the time. What *IS* Agent.exe doing? If Blizzard sees this, they better not be busy waiting in this piece of software, writing busy loops like this is so... 40 years ago!!!

I tried downclocking my i7 to 1.6GHz... download speed does not change. Another clue it's busy looping instead of truly cpu-bound...

if only I could gdb this...well I should... and find out it indeed is busylooping in its scheduler. DIE DIE DIE BLIZZARD CRAP CRAP SOFTWARE.

Okay rant off. *sigh* Or maybe someone can please tell me it's a wine "bug" trying to emulate a windows feature where windows can do events and wine can't...
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard advice when you suspect a busy-loop would be to attach a debugger, run to completion of the current function, observe eip (32-bit) or rip (64-bit), then repeat. After some number of iterations, you will find the program running free again, because the function you are trying to finish is long-lived and is looping without returning. Once you know the layer at which the program is looping, you know where to explore to see what the program is doing.

You could also try to strace the process and look for suspiciously repeating syscalls.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL the wine app crashed as soon as I attached strace to it.
It's probably detecting it to ensure nobody is debugging their software... *sigh* (Blizzard has been known do do this bs)
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems wine-staging 6.10 works with the battle.net GUI whereas 5.22 doesn't, alas 5.22 will play the main game but not 6.10 for me...
Frautoincnam
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Seems wine-staging 6.10 works with the battle.net GUI whereas 5.22 doesn't, alas 5.22 will play the main game but not 6.10 for me...

With wine-staging-5.19 (in my own overlay but I don't remember where I took it), I can play game AND battlenet. I didn't try another version.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strange... might be hardware dependent?
5.22 failed battle.net client when they upgraded to shadowlands. Was very suspicious IMHO. Unfortunately it seems that regression testing happens with newer versions of the client and we're forced to eventually keep going with newer versions of wine... sigh.

---

Oh cool... I got 6.10 to work sort of... it got to the login screen for the first time. Hopefully can now delete 5.22 if 6.10's stable ... still have three hours to wait to fully test...

---

Okay 6.10 does sort of work...except wineserver uses 100% CPU when logged in!!! Wow, uses 2x as much CPU power as before. Grr.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case people were wondering, due to a lot of outstanding issues, I don't really keep track of things anymore.
Tried to run b.net on wine-6.14, and well, at least wineserver doesn't take 100% CPU but Agent.exe and Battle.net take two cores worth of CPU cycles. WTF Blizzard-Activision. You don't write code like this sh*t!!! (know what, I wonder if I affinitied all these processes on the same core, whether it would slow anything down. Hah.)

Not sure if the game still runs, last I recalled wine-5.x was the best without causing wineserver to hit 100% CPU. Also my RadeonHD 5770 bit the big one, and a HD 6450 took its place for the meantime. The 6450 is a significantly slower GPU, but I do wonder if the graphics artifacting changed any as this card probably supports newer MESA drivers. Alas I don't think I can fully test at this time.

As an aside I wonder if it's possible to run two HD6450's SLI'ed (or is it crossfire?). HD6450's are dime a dozen even in the pandemic chip shortage (which tbh is a bunch of hogwash for gpus, unless it was due to all the bitcoin farmers) and I could stick in two of them into my machine.
Aiken
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I occasionally have Agent.exe go 100% on a core and stop responding. Usually end up smacking it with a kill -9.

Last wine staging where everything worked for me with wow was 6.17. Currently on 6.20 as gw2 runs better for me than it did with 6.17 but that came a cost of 3 wine Program Error windows while starting the battle net app. Let wow update to 9.1.5 and logged in. Stormwind worked with 6.20. It seems to be just the battlenet app that has a problem with 6.20 for me.

No time left in wow to try out more. At the moment gw2 is setting which version of wine I use and not wow. Sometimes log in with a low level char to see if wow still works when I update wine.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still wondering if bastion is still messed up or not with its black grounds, getting out there would be a PITA.

Then again this "new" video card is not much different than the old one though a lot slower. Also it seems that water transparency is always off or something on the 6450 whereas on higher rendering levels, water looked somewhat transparent on the 5770. Hmm. Might need to futz with it some more.

---

Seems wine-staging-6.14 works for me for both main and b.net. 6.20 seems to ok for main but has some issues with b.net ... can't seem to locate install.

---

Uhoh! Is Activision-Blizzard going to become Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard?

---

I ended up having access to another machine to play with, whose onchip graphics is pretty fast compared to my old machine, but has a slow mechanical hard drive. Apparently WoW does not work when installed on NFS to my SSD machine, but apparently I can symlink just the data.* files over NFS and it works... Wish I could just hardcode the path of the shmem file to something on ext4fs and have it work that way...
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was wondering about different old video cards and playability (if at least at a rudimentary level, likely not fast enough for raiding or PvP) - as well as what Mesa actually emulates or not. Almost seems there is no emulation anymore, at least of some features - it just reports to the game the feature doesn't exist and the game quits because of the lack of a feature.

So the tests... Most of these was with Shadowlands 9.X engine. Note that all of these video solutions worked at some point in the past, but appears some are getting dropped. I recall playing on my G965 at one point, but it does not work any longer.

Key:
⛔ (Game does not start, reports that minimum GPU requirements not met)
❗ (Warns that support will be dropped soon, but will login)
✅ (Game starts and runs)
❓ (Don't know yet)

I don't think I have crocus going for the Intel devices but not sure if it really matters -

⛔ Intel G965 (Chipset graphics)
⛔ Intel Q45 (Chipset graphics)
❗ Intel Sandybridge Graphics (Core 2-series)
✅ Intel Ivybridge Graphics (Core 3-series)
✅ Intel Haswell Graphics (Core 4-series) (kind of buttery) (DX11?)
⛔ ATI Radeon X800XL
✅ ATI Radeon HD 5770 (before it died) (DX9)
❗ ATI Radeon HD 6350 (Really Slow)
❗ ATI Radeon HD 6450 (Slow of course but better than the HD 6350) (DX11)
✅ ATI Firepro V3900 (DX11)
✅ ATI Firepro W2100 (kind of buttery!) (DX12)
✅ ATI R7 250 (buttery!) (DX12)
❗ Nvidia Geforce 8400S (NVA8, Really Slow, kills whole display performance in login screen)
✅ Nvidia NVS 310 (NVD8, really slow)

(added W2100)
(changed the 6450 to include support drop warning)

Last edited by eccerr0r on Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: