[SOLVED]UEFI Bootable usb fail
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nullbodu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject: [SOLVED]UEFI Bootable usb fail Reply with quote

Hi,

I want Gentoo live usb to be UEFI bootable. I've followed this guide and then added all necessary files as said in this in this post.

I then tried to boot - boot screen show up just fine, I enter "gentoo" to boot and the only things I see after are these two lines:
Code:

Loading gentoo...ok
Loading gentoo.igz...ok

Nothing else happens, it just stays like this forever.

Secure boot disabled/enabled makes no difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

UPD: Gentoo LiveDVD is UEFI bootable, I did not know. Works for me, marked as solved.

Last edited by Nullbodu on Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Use the right tool for the right job.
The System Rescue CD has better hardware support and better usb support. It makes no difference to your installation at all. In fact, you can use just about any Linux distro.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not clear, you want to improve Gentoo install image or you want to install Gentoo?
jburns
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sakaki%27s_EFI_Install_Guide/Creating_and_Booting_the_Minimal-Install_Image_on_USB and https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-967098-start-0.html#7377910 help?
Nullbodu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, thank you for all the replies

Buffoon wrote:
It is not clear, you want to improve Gentoo install image or you want to install Gentoo?

I wish I could improve it, but it is too advanced for me at the moment. For now, I just want to install Gentoo.

jburns wrote:
Does https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sakaki%27s_EFI_Install_Guide/Creating_and_Booting_the_Minimal-Install_Image_on_USB and https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-967098-start-0.html#7377910 help?

No, it provides instructions on how to set up UEFI to boot linux kernel directly. My case is a little bit different because I need Grub and Grub needs UEFI bootable live usb. But thanks anyway.

As The Doctor recommended, I'm trying to use System Rescue CD now. And I've got a problem. Long story short I need to boot live usb with acpi=off option, otherwise my ssd won't work (why so you can read here). But using System Rescue CD my system just hangs during boot when Network manager is being started. Without acpi=off it works just fine. I know it is probably not the right place to ask since it is probably System Rescue specific problem... But still, I hope you can help me. Thanks.
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a Thinkpad T420. I have upgraded the EFI/BIOS to the latest version. Anything I try to boot from the Ssd integrated controler with a bit to bit copy to the ssd card of any 64 bits Efi iso distribution have fail. So Bios/Efi and Grub do not see the ssd card, only Linux does.

So, before installing any system on a ssd card, be sure it can be detected by the Bios/Efi if you expect to boot from the ssd card with the Bios and Grub. Otherwise, you have to load the Linux kernel (and an initramfs) first and hope it will detect the ssd card and succeed to boot on it.

About the acpi Linux boot parameters, there are a lot of them that can be use. Check in dmesg why things stock. You may have a better parameter than acpi=off.

Try an other media, a CD/DVD to see how things work.
Nullbodu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logicien wrote:
Hello,

I have a Thinkpad T420. I have upgraded the EFI/BIOS to the latest version. Anything I try to boot from the Ssd integrated controler with a bit to bit copy to the ssd card of any 64 bits Efi iso distribution have fail. So Bios/Efi and Grub do not see the ssd card, only Linux does.

So, before installing any system on a ssd card, be sure it can be detected by the Bios/Efi if you expect to boot from the ssd card with the Bios and Grub. Otherwise, you have to load the Linux kernel (and an initramfs) first and hope it will detect the ssd card and succeed to boot on it.

About the acpi Linux boot parameters, there are a lot of them that can be use. Check in dmesg why things stock. You may have a better parameter than acpi=off.

Try an other media, a CD/DVD to see how things work.

I've tried many things, updating bios/ssd firmware, different distro live usbs and many boot options, even different usb sticks. It only works with acpi=off. Windows works as well. I'm going to install grub on a usb stick so it will boot as long as acpi is off.

Let me know if you think of a particular parameter that will work for me and I'll try. I haven't tested every single parameter that exists.
Nullbodu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little update,

It seems that System Rescue CD won't work for me. As I said before it just hangs during boot and it is not NetworkManager specific issue because I manager to disable it completely (rc-update del NetworkManager default) and then created new ISO image (I followed this guide). It still hangs... Looks like creating UEFI bootable Gentoo live usb is the only option for now. Will try more.
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: A confusion! Reply with quote

Hi Nullbodu!

Your presentation is a bit confused. Do you want to boot with a USB stick (before install), with an external SSD (via USB) or
with an internal SSD (after Gentoo installation)?

I think you made a mistake because I believe you mixed different things (LiveUSB: USB stick - SSD (cf. title): disk).

I don't know if your SSD may be managed by the UEFI firmware (I haven't found a mention about SSD device in
the uefi "Media formats" section of the spec) and by Linux.
(Edit: In fact, this technology (UEFI) is designed to be flexible and allow for easy addition of new types of devices.)

I suppose you have to inform yourself about this one, seeking informations from the SSD manufacturer or elsewhere.

uefi specification (p.541) wrote:
Booting from a removable media device can be accomplished the same way as any other boot.
The boot file path provided to the boot manager can consist of a UEFI application image to load, or
can merely be the path to a removable media device.
In the first case, the path clearly indicates the image that is to be loaded.
In the later case, the boot manager implements the policy to load the default application image from the device.
For removable media to be bootable under EFI, it must be built in accordance with the rules laid out in Section 3.5.1.1

If you don't see the USB medium [a removable media device] ("... same way as any other boot...") or SSD in the UEFI boot manager:
I deduce you have to registering the device path, or the OS bootloader, or the uefi application, with the uefi firmware.
(Edit: Maybe the media (medium?) is automatically discovered by the UEFI firmware or by an UEFI mechanism, I don't know!)

I don't see an obvious relation between the acpi option and the UEFI application loading on the SSD (but I don't know acpi).

Moreover, "Nobod" (on stackexchange) doesn't seem know what he does.

Hyperlink: UEFI and ACPI specifications

Best regards, feng.
Nullbodu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A confusion! Reply with quote

feng wrote:
Hi Nullbodu!

Your presentation is a bit confused. Do you want to boot with a USB stick (before install), with an external SSD (via USB) or
with an internal SSD (after Gentoo installation)?

I think you made a mistake because I believe you mixed different things (LiveUSB: USB stick - SSD (cf. title): disk).

I don't know if your SSD may be managed by the UEFI firmware (I haven't found a mention about SSD device in
the uefi "Media formats" section of the spec) and by Linux.
(Edit: In fact, this technology (UEFI) is designed to be flexible and allow for easy addition of new types of devices.)

I suppose you have to inform yourself about this one, seeking informations from the SSD manufacturer or elsewhere.

uefi specification (p.541) wrote:
Booting from a removable media device can be accomplished the same way as any other boot.
The boot file path provided to the boot manager can consist of a UEFI application image to load, or
can merely be the path to a removable media device.
In the first case, the path clearly indicates the image that is to be loaded.
In the later case, the boot manager implements the policy to load the default application image from the device.
For removable media to be bootable under EFI, it must be built in accordance with the rules laid out in Section 3.5.1.1

If you don't see the USB medium [a removable media device] ("... same way as any other boot...") or SSD in the UEFI boot manager:
I deduce you have to registering the device path, or the OS bootloader, or the uefi application, with the uefi firmware.
(Edit: Maybe the media (medium?) is automatically discovered by the UEFI firmware or by an UEFI mechanism, I don't know!)

I don't see an obvious relation between the acpi option and the UEFI application loading on the SSD (but I don't know acpi).

Moreover, "Nobod" (on stackexchange) doesn't seem know what he does.

Hyperlink: UEFI and ACPI specifications

Best regards, feng.

Hi,

Sorry for the unclarity, English is not my native language so if anything is unclear again - let me know :).

What I want is to boot from external usb stick with Gentoo live image on it in UEFI mode and install Gentoo on my internal SSD. Now the problem is already solved as I'm using Gentoo LiveDVD which is UEFI bootable, I did not know about that. I booted with acpi=off, my ssd was detected and now Gentoo is being installed.
My SSD is 100% managable by the UEFI firmware because it always appears on boot order list. What's more I managed to install Windows 7 on this SSD for test purposes and everything worked.

Now, about acpi... I don't know either, that seems strange to me, but whenever I boot a live linux distro (no matter BIOS or UEFI mode, no matter if it is on external usb stick or installed on my HDD) I just can't acess my SSD, it just doesn't appear as a /dev/sdX device unless I boot with acpi=off or (recently discovered) pci=noacpi option set.

Thank you for you reply.

P.S. That post on stackexchange is mine :D
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ACPI protocole manage a lot of events in a computer. If you find a solution that disable the less ACPI features and allow Linux to see your ssd card, it will be better than acpi=off who disable all ACPI features on Linux. You are better to use pci=noacpi for the moment to make Linux see your ssd card. You will keep ACPI capabilities on the rest of the computer but not the PCI bus.

It's weird that ACPI need to be disable for Linux see your ssd card. Something may be wrong in the BIOS/EFI setup, your kernel configuration and boot parameters unless your computer is not fully supported by Linux. Anyway, have a look at /usr/src/linux/kernel-parameters.txt to know all ACPI parameters and what they do.
Nullbodu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logicien wrote:
The ACPI protocole manage a lot of events in a computer. If you find a solution that disable the less ACPI features and allow Linux to see your ssd card, it will be better than acpi=off who disable all ACPI features on Linux. You are better to use pci=noacpi for the moment to make Linux see your ssd card. You will keep ACPI capabilities on the rest of the computer but not the PCI bus.

It's weird that ACPI need to be disable for Linux see your ssd card. Something may be wrong in the BIOS/EFI setup, your kernel configuration and boot parameters unless your computer is not fully supported by Linux. Anyway, have a look at /usr/src/linux/kernel-parameters.txt to know all ACPI parameters and what they do.

I agree, I'll go with pci=noacpi at least because it allows Hyperthreading to work which is definitely better.

I also thought at first that it is BIOS problem, but trying different options, updating BIOS and trying default options made no difference. Updating SSD firmware also did nothing. I actually think that it might be SSD problem, I've read that first generation of Sandforce controllers are not well compatible with Haswell processors and disabling acpi sometimes helped. My SSD's controller is second generation, but you know... Maybe it isn't completely fixed or something. On the other hand, I've also read similar issue reports to mine and for some of those people disabling HotPlug SATA feature in BIOS helped. Unfortunately, I can't test it in my case as my BIOS doesn't support that feature or at least there is no option to disable/enable it.

I'll report if I find a better solution than pci=noacpi.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: