GTK-3 apps in non-GNOME WM theming?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: GTK-3 apps in non-GNOME WM theming? Reply with quote

So, a general question. I use FVWM, which isn't an integrated DE like KDE/Plasma or GNOME/Unity. Both my KDE and my GTK theme are set to use the same theme set (called "Boje-Blue", which you can find at gnome-look.org). However, GTK applications using GTK3 -- such as Transmission, lightdm, evince, Firefox, etc. -- the window styling is missing a lot of key elements: the menu bar has all the menu titles mashed up in a row with no space in between and no highlighting for mouseover (as do the dropdown/right-click menus), the buttons have no borders or highlights, text-entry fields or radio buttons are not drawn, etc. etc..

Is this a general problem with GTK+ apps outside of integrated DEs? The theme I'm using is dual GTK2/GTK3, so it should support all the style features. But for some reason, it's not really working very well. Is there a known workaround?

Cheers,

EE
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: GTK-3 apps in non-GNOME WM theming? Reply with quote

ExecutorElassus wrote:
Is this a general problem with GTK+ apps outside of integrated DEs? The theme I'm using is dual GTK2/GTK3, so it should support all the style features. But for some reason, it's not really working very well. Is there a known workaround?

Usually the problem is the theme, this because sometimes when changes gtk version (e.g. 3.19->3.20) there are problems. I read many post how many people complain about this
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are correct: I discovered that the theme I was using was over three years old, and switched to a newer one. All the problems went away (well, I haven't checked to see if the resize handles on evince are still gone). Thanks for pointing this out.

Cheers,

EE
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But another question: how do I change the default colors for a theme, and have them stick? If I use lxappearance, I can adjust the foreground/background colors for a few things, but clicking "apply" doesn't actually apply them (even when I re-start programs). When I restart lxappearance, the default colors are shown again. How do I change this? Is there another program better able to handle gtk-3.20 themes?

Cheers,

EE
Juippisi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use openbox, and have emerged mate-control-center just because of this. I open mate-settings-daemon with openbox into the background and every GTK app looks great! Even the animations work.

Code:
/usr/libexec/mate-settings-daemon &

EDIT: To clarify, I open mate-control-center and apply different themes from there, but you need to have mate-settings-daemon running so they will stay.
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tip, but alas! the mate-control-center has very limited ability to customize a theme. The one I'm using now doesn't seem to allow color schemes, and the only other one I could find that looked decent (I prefer a flat theme, with mostly dark grays bordering on black), still had a lot of parts that remained white (scrollbars, etc.).

lxappearance, however, now tells me that I can only customize my current theme if lxsession is the session manager.

It seems like being able to pick a theme that applies to all GTK+ apps, and then being able to customize the color palette of that theme, is something that should be really easy to do, and yet it seems to have gotten much more complicated in recent years. Honestly, the way vivaldi handles theming looks superb; I wish there were a way to apply that across the whole DE.

But thanks anyway for the tip. I'll keep looking, I guess =/

Cheers,

EE
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: