Mouse moves at an angle
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deppchen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Mouse moves at an angle Reply with quote

Hi,

First of all: I'm generally a gentoo noob and still have to learn a lot, my boyfriend (which is an IT-Student) installed it for me and helps me whenever i have a problem a can't yet solve on my own. OH, and i hope this is the right place to post this.

But now i have a problem where we both couldn't find a solution, I bought a new mouse. When i plugged it in everything worked, but then i realised that the curser movement and the movement of the actual mouse are rotated by some degrees (i think it's something between 25 and 35 degrees). Which means if i move my mouse straight to the left my cursor moves rather to the top left.

Is there any way to fix this? I spent some time on google but found nothing.
I'm thankfull for everything that might help with this (even a good buzzword to google could help)

PS: Sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes since english is not my first language ^^'
guitou
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

To get it fixed, you should rotate your screen accordingly :p

Sorry, could not resist, and sorry not to have a relevant answer too...
More seriously, if you can plug in another mouse without experiencing the same bug, best guess is that your brand new mouse is just broken.

++
GI)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deppchen,

Welcome to Gentoo.

The X and Y axis in the mouse are fixed when it is manufactured. Do this experiment with your mouse.
Place it on the mouse mat normally.
Move it towards the top of the mat ... observe the cursor moves towards the top of the screen.
Confirm for the other four edges of the mat/screen.
No surprises there.

Pick up the mouse and turn it through 1/4 turn so that the 'up' for the mouse faces the right edge of the pad.
Move the mouse from side to side on the mouse pad. Notice the screen cursor moves up and down.
No surprises there either I suspect. That's an extreme form of pointing error.

I suspect that you are not holding the mouse the way it was designed to be held. Either that or its damaged,
so you see a pointing error less than the demonstration above.

There is another explanation, if your system has a touch screen and the mouse is detected as a part of the touch interface.
Touch screens are calibrated in software, to reduce alignment and linearity errors. If these corrections were applied to mouse movements, it could produce the symptoms you report. However, 25 deg is a huge error for a touch screen.

Play with xev to see what is reported to Xorg

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to assume your mouse really is just defective here, maybe the sensor was put in at the wrong angle. Who knows.

Run xinput list. Note the ID number next to your mouse.
With that number, run xinput list-props $ID. You should see this line:
Code:
Coordinate Transformation Matrix (145): 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000

If those numbers aren't exactly what you get, there's your problem; xinput set-prop $ID 145 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 to set them to defaults.

Otherwise, that's how you can fix it. Something like xinput set-prop $ID 145 1 0.5 0 -0.5 1 0 0 0 1 will rotate the mouse axes counter-clockwise.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This mouse may be politically correct. :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: