View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ODD: Interesting that two of the 8 conditions are related to authority. "Argues" with and "defies." Given that it is apparently an issue primarily in children, maybe the distinction is significant, but I have a major authority problem when "adults" just expect people to prostrate themselves for "authority." My anti-authoritarianism has mostly been an adulthood thing. I wasn't overly bothered by it in the military, but it did expose a major flaw in the expectation of blind obedience, because authoritay.

IED is also interesting, and somewhat relevant.

Quote:
Intermittent explosive disorder (sometimes abbreviated as IED) is a behavioral disorder characterized by explosive outbursts of anger and violence, often to the point of rage, that are disproportionate to the situation at hand (e.g., impulsive screaming triggered by relatively inconsequential events). Impulsive aggression is not premeditated, and is defined by a disproportionate reaction to any provocation, real or perceived. Some individuals have reported affective changes prior to an outburst (e.g., tension, mood changes, energy changes, etc.).
8O
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noyb wrote:
I think there are a few issues going on here... people will cling to the science that supports their world view while rejecting the science that repudiates their world view.
I think we mostly agree on the science as well. To clarify, I didn't mean that anyone should blindly accept it. I meant more that people don't react at receiving a physical diagnosis of a health problem, but any suggestion of a mental health issues approaches "fighting words." I'm not referring to therapy as a solution. No amount of talking is going to change that (unless there is an entirely different problem). I was referring to potential in utero developmental causes. Although given the state of pharmaceutical treatment for known mental health issues, that seems unlikely to be useful any time soon.

noyb wrote:
When my best friend told his wife about me, her initial reaction was "does that make him a pedophile?" It's an absurd reaction, but the reason why it happens is because there is a misunderstanding of what transsexualism is. The goal of social conservatives, is to ensure that it stays a taboo, and, as a taboo, it is easy to lump it in with perversions. In fact, as a mom, her first instinct was to protect her child, and thus, the emotional reaction was "omg, does this put my child in danger?"
Fear of the unknown. I don't know why, but that seems to be a connection people make. As much progress as has been made for acceptance of the homosexual community, people still react that way when more abuse within the Catholic church is exposed. I believe people have an emotional reaction and then don't engage a thought process. It seems pretty apparent that gay people don't choose to be gay any more than a heterosexual person makes the choice. Then again, I have vivid memories of knowing in the first grade that there was pretty much zero chance that I could believe in God / religion.

noyb wrote:
Would a 250 pound guy genuinely fear that a 120 pound woman with a penis could rape him? If not, then deadly physical force wasn't necessary.... and ,ore often than not, what actually happens in these cases, is that the guy suddenly questions his own sexuality in that moment and then kills the trans person because that trans person, who poses no threat, made him uncomfortable in that moment of self-doubt. The trans person, being dead, doesn't get to share their side of the story* which, in the absence of further evidence, allows the actual perpetrator to walk free.
That's a lot to unpack. So barring other factors (signs of a struggle or whatever), no, deadly force probably isn't justifiable. So something in the realm of manslaughter would seem reasonable. But some of that is going to depend on the prosecution's ability to convince the jury that the weight / strength difference is that substantial. What about 155 and 120? Unfortunately the law doesn't seem capable of handling scenarios well that don't include substantial evidence of some sort. The situation could be similar for two recent acquaintances. "We argued about the game and he attacked me with a bottle, I thought he was going to kill me." I don't think that makes it legal to kill someone, just extremely difficult to determine what happened.

noyb wrote:
Given the trans panic defense, what happens if you have someone that intentionally targets someone that is trans because the perpetrator is a bigot and believes trans people deserve to die? Again, the dead trans person can't talk, so maybe the perpetrator constructs a false story about how the trans person attempted to rape them, so the perpetrator just killed in self-defense, and there's nobody to claim otherwise, so a sympathetic jury lets them walk despite it being a cold blooded intentional murder.
Yes, all that could happen, and I'm willing to believe probably has. But how is it sufficiently provable that in any specific case that it was happened?

noyb wrote:
Therein lies the problem with allowing society to stigmatize and "other" trans people and why the attitude that discrimination against them is ok is bad, particularly given that their condition doesn't harm anyone but themselves. It's not like trans people are advocating genital mutilation for all, like the doctors and religions that push circumcision.
I don't have the answer. It isn't OK to stigmatize them, but it depends on what "not allowing it" looks like. In theory, democracy / mob rule does not protect the minority. In practice, our republic isn't quick to protect a minority.

noyb wrote:
The simple fact is, there's always going to be someone that hates someone else just because that someone else is different. If you are one of the 0.3% of the population that happens to be trans, even if only 10% of the population may have a problem with it, that 10% is a much bigger tribe than yours, especially if they choose to target you, as an individual, specifically.
This is true, and only so much can be done about those who will "always hate someone who is different." Hopefully those numbers go down over time. And, yes, 0.3% vs. 10% is a big difference. But over time, that 0.3% gains "support" from the 89.7% of everyone else. And eventually a tipping point is reached where most of the 10% will change, die off, or at least not act out.

noyb wrote:
We can play with the group and play with the numbers, but someone in a position of weakness ALWAYS has some amount of fear... and that's why, for example, women begin to learn skills very early on to protect themselves from rape and assault even though women outnumber men.
Even if that fear is rarely justifiable, because people are in a position of weakness, they will feel that way. This is also partly the origin of protecting "fragile" women.

noyb wrote:
The question is, how much fear is healthy and how much of it is actually justified? The reality is, most trans people that inflict violence, inflict it upon themselves... and a lot of that is because of the internalization of how society scorns them due to unhealthy amounts of unjustified fear.
There's probably a medical evaluation of how much fear is healthy. Does it prevent your ability to function normally? Does it cause you to behave in a non-productive manner? Seething with anger about it certainly isn't productive. And acting out violently isn't productive. "No, you can't catch AIDS from a toilet seat" is fine. But at one time it was also thought that you couldn't catch it from blood transfusions.

noyb wrote:
In the end, I believe that awareness and familiarity IS the cure, but there are people vested in their own insecurity that will do anything they can to prevent that from happening.
It seems that society lurches rather than glides forward. Sometimes it seems like a long time before the frog is boiled, but it will be even longer if it keeps jumping out. I'm not sure about other systems of government, but the US seems to accommodate that pretty well, even if it can look ugly at times.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now anybody unfamiliar with the parable of the boiling frog thinks pjp is some kind of psychotic. :lol:
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how it could go (?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c35IdW-ZlpY

Watching it through the looking glass. Not atypical for what's been said, just adding a second angle to this.
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More snowflake craze. (Not to be connected with my previous post)

https://areomagazine.com/2018/10/02/academic-grievance-studies-and-the-corruption-of-scholarship/

Academics makes spoofs and gets published.

A while ago ( 2-3 years) someones did the same against IPCC. Hilarious how blinded by light the establishment is.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrix_neo wrote:
More snowflake craze. (Not to be connected with my previous post)

https://areomagazine.com/2018/10/02/academic-grievance-studies-and-the-corruption-of-scholarship/

Academics makes spoofs and gets published.

A while ago ( 2-3 years) someones did the same against IPCC. Hilarious how blinded by light the establishment is.

Horrifying!

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BonezTheGoon wrote:

Horrifying!

Expect some more!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-45709205

Someone said the scholar of physics was created by _men_ !
Just crazy.
And got pulled out of the CERN programme.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrix_neo wrote:
Here is how it could go (?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c35IdW-ZlpY

Watching it through the looking glass. Not atypical for what's been said, just adding a second angle to this.
Highlighting the importance and non-derogatory value to the term "biological-<gender>".
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can personally vouch discrimination against men in physics. I completed an undergraduate degree with a decent GPA and a decent GRE score. I applied to several graduate programs which accepted GRE and GPA scores in my ballpark. I also had strong letters of recommendation, 1 based on research (with CERN no less). I was not accepted to a single school, including the backups.

I thought the high female grad student populations in my institution was a fluke. They are not and one professor told me so after I was rejected.

I'm actually grateful about this. I dodged a bullet and am certainly financially better off. The environment is toxic and I don't say that lightly.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
I can personally vouch discrimination against men in physics. I completed an undergraduate degree with a decent GPA and a decent GRE score. I applied to several graduate programs which accepted GRE and GPA scores in my ballpark. I also had strong letters of recommendation, 1 based on research (with CERN no less). I was not accepted to a single school, including the backups.

I thought the high female grad student populations in my institution was a fluke. They are not and one professor told me so after I was rejected.

I'm actually grateful about this. I dodged a bullet and am certainly financially better off. The environment is toxic and I don't say that lightly.

:cry:

Man, that sucks. Penalized for having a penis. How is that any different from being penalized for being black?

It's genetic lottery. Out of your control, and you get penalized. PC is cancer.

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That much effort into such a specialization seems like a terrible thing to waste. I hope you're liking what you do now better than you thought you would like physics.

Someday it seems like the noise ought to subside and return to sanity, and it will be good to have competent people in physics. I hope there isn't a significant setback, given the length of how and what things are taught. Like Mulder, I want to believe.
mrbassie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:

Man, that sucks. Penalized for having a penis. How is that any different from being penalized for being black?

Size of penis?
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbassie wrote:
Muso wrote:

Size of penis?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kindness Evokes Kindness

John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

linky

Quote:
Technology companies need to diversify their hiring practices to include more people from backgrounds in philosophy and psychology if they want to tackle the problem of misinformation online, the head of one of the biggest internet charities has warned.

Mitchell Baker, head of the Mozilla Foundation, has warned that hiring employees who mainly come from Stem – science, technology, engineering and maths – will produce a new generation of technologists with the same blindspots as those who are currently in charge, a move that will “come back to bite us”.

JB twitches.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
linky

Quote:
Technology companies need to diversify their hiring practices to include more people from backgrounds in philosophy and psychology if they want to tackle the problem of misinformation online, the head of one of the biggest internet charities has warned.

Mitchell Baker, head of the Mozilla Foundation, has warned that hiring employees who mainly come from Stem – science, technology, engineering and maths – will produce a new generation of technologists with the same blindspots as those who are currently in charge, a move that will “come back to bite us”.

JB twitches.

And it all ends. Not with a bang, but a pathetic whimper.

Kindness Evokes Kindness

The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As they dig their own grave, new companies rise to take their place. While Hasbro and EA drive their customer base away Steam supports all the indie developers producing good products. Karma is fun to watch.

Snowflakes lost the argument on economic grounds. As long as they don't take the Linux kernel with them, I think we will be just fine. Or we will switch to hurd or something...

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
As they dig their own grave, new companies rise to take their place.
In internet-time, they seem decades past due.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ecuadorian embassy orders Assange to clean his bathroom and take care of his cat.

Quote:
The memo mostly governs security and communication issues, but offers hints of other Assange issues at the embassy.

For example, the document ordered Assange to keep the bathroom clean and warned that his pet cat would be confiscated and taken to an animal shelter if he did not look after it.

Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
mrbassie wrote:
Yamakuzure wrote:

Although I admit there there is social injustice that needs to be fought everywhere on the planet

What actually is social injustice?

Nature being allowed to take its course. Nature was considered by many philosophers to be one of the few cornerstones of valid morality, but they were old white men. Now, we no longer believe that it is right for the smart and productive guy to boss around the dumb useless guy, or for the hot chick to get the biggest dick. Now, we know better: that it's more right for the dumb useless guy to live off the smart productive guy because how else he gonna live, and for the fat chick to get the big dick because how else you get in there past that big ass and sofa cushions of fat? It's called "fair", and if you don't believe in it, you're a bad person who should be intimidated and subjected to various forms of harm.
Oh come on. We already ended humanity, we only can make it happen with style.

Nature says: The strongest and fittest lives long and successful enough to reproduce.
Human Society says: The weakest and dumbest get enough social welfare so they can have as many children as they can pop out.

Humanity is already ended.

Bones McCracker wrote:
The thing about gender that most people don't understand, because most people are pretty ignorant, is that gender in nature is rather fluid and non-binary. Most species do not have sexual reproduction. It's a relative newcomer, if you'll pardon the expression.
That's true. For slugs, sea shells, some reptilians. But we are mammals. We are binary. These made up in-between-genders are mostly just bumbledom from attention whores. The exception of course being "trans-gender" while being on the (long, hard and painful) journey from one gender to the other. But even that is just a social construct.
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Yamakuzure"]
Bones McCracker wrote:

Bones McCracker wrote:
The thing about gender that most people don't understand, because most people are pretty ignorant, is that gender in nature is rather fluid and non-binary. Most species do not have sexual reproduction. It's a relative newcomer, if you'll pardon the expression.
That's true. For slugs, sea shells, some reptilians. But we are mammals. We are binary. These made up in-between-genders are mostly just bumbledom from attention whores. The exception of course being "trans-gender" while being on the (long, hard and painful) journey from one gender to the other. But even that is just a social construct.

If interchange of some kind ends up with a progeny of an other copy with different genetic code than one of it's siblings, it's sex. sex, sex, sex, sex, sex! Otherwise, I'd like to know _your_ definition of sex.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrix_neo wrote:
Yamakuzure wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:

Bones McCracker wrote:

If interchange of some kind ends up with a progeny of an other copy with different genetic code than one of it's siblings, it's sex. sex, sex, sex, sex, sex! Otherwise, I'd like to know _your_ definition of sex.
The same. What else? I am currently completely puzzled where you interpreted a "definition of sex" into what you quoted.
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
patrix_neo wrote:
Yamakuzure wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:

Bones McCracker wrote:

The same. What else? I am currently completely puzzled where you interpreted a "definition of sex" into what you quoted.

So the species you two are talking about the other 75% of the biomass, not included in the mammal group? You are so intelligent! Thumbs up.
While being a wise arse - How big does it have to be to make a progeny? Do I have to be black? (It's a joke!)
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-10-16/4chan-sparks-mass-triggering-npc-meme-twitter-responds-ban-hammer

NPC meme

Gotta love 4chan, the true voice of equality - no-one is special enough to not get ripped into
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrix_neo wrote:
Yamakuzure wrote:
patrix_neo wrote:
Yamakuzure wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:

Bones McCracker wrote:

So the species you two are talking about the other 75% of the biomass, not included in the mammal group? You are so intelligent! Thumbs up.
While being a wise arse - How big does it have to be to make a progeny? Do I have to be black? (It's a joke!)
Ah, alright. You didn't understand what this was about.

I was merely replying that Bones argument about "fluid genders" does not apply to us, as we are mammals. Or what was the last time you saw a mammal change its gender all by itself? Although "gender" isn't strictly binary in all of nature, it is in the world of mammals. (And most insects and plants, btw)

And that has nothing to do with sex or the color of your skin. (If this was a joke, I didn't get it. Obviously. ;-) )
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-10-16/4chan-sparks-mass-triggering-npc-meme-twitter-responds-ban-hammer

NPC meme

Gotta love 4chan, the true voice of equality - no-one is special enough to not get ripped into
Responses demonstrating lack of conscience and basic comprehension? Priceless.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 19 of 21

Jump to: