[SOLVED] KDE Kickoff not adding newly installed programs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marco.difresco
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] KDE Kickoff not adding newly installed programs Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am running KDE 5.6.5 with KDE Frameworks 5.23.0.

Since few days ago I noticed that the KDE Kickoff menu is not longer adding any menu item for any new application I am installing.

I cannot track the exact moment that the above system broken up since I am not installing new apps very often.

I remember that for KDE 4 in such scenario there was a file to delete under the home directory that would reset the menu to the default settings and therefore making it picking up any new application, but I don't remember which file it was specifically and I don't know if it would apply for KDE 5

I tried to Google the problem, but I cannot find any solution.

What should do I do?

Thank in advance.

P.S.: I would like to try some more ... "direct" attempts first, before going with the broad solutions like creating a new user, delete all kde configuration files under ~, or similar.

Last edited by marco.difresco on Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikko
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi marco.difresco
don't know if this will help, but you can try to run "kbuildsycoca5" as user, in order to rebuild the menu cache

root is the root of all evil
marco.difresco
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
sorry for the late answer, but I have been away on vacation and I returned just few hours ago.

Little before leaving for the vacation (and then I have been busy preparing the luggage so I hadn't time to report back) I tried to delete some file and I solved the issue.

The culprit file seems to be ~/.config/kmenueditrc; once deleted it, logged off and logged back on to KDE the K Menu reverted to default (I originally moved some icon around) and it picked up the new applications.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: