Emerge requires a non-existent kernel option
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sasq
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Emerge requires a non-existent kernel option Reply with quote

I'm installing Gentoo on a laptop (Acer Extensa 5620Z).
During installation of X.org there is a message for the x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.99.917-r2 which says:

Code:

* This driver requires KMS support in your kernel
 *   Device drivers --->
 *     Graphics support --->
 *       Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support)
 *       <*>   Intel 830M, 845G, 852GM, 855GM, 865G (i915 driver) --->
 *            i915 driver
 *       [*]     Enable modesetting on intel by default

The problem is, I don't have such a configuration option in my kernel's menuconfig :| (linux-4.4.6-gentoo). And emerge doesn't tell me the CONFIG_* name of this option so I cannot use the search box in menuconfig to find it either :/ So I cannot fulfil emerge's demand and enable it in my kernel. What is wrong? Did the location of that option changed in the recent kernel's menuconfig and hasn't been updated in the package's message or something? I'm confused.

I tried to follow the instructions from the official Wiki article about Intel's video cards and turned on what the article told me to turn on; in particular:

Code:

Device Drivers  --->
    Graphics support  --->
      <*> Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support)  --->
        --- Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support)
          [*]   Enable legacy fbdev support for your modesetting driver

but emerge still complains about the same configuration option missing in the kernel :P

It's also quite weird why is it looking for it in i915 section, since my video card is "Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GM960" according to lspci :roll: and I explicitly told it to use the i965 driver by setting in /etc/portage/package.conf the variable VIDEO_CARDS="intel i965" as the Wiki article advises.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sasq,

At one time, there was three Intel drivers called i865, i915 and intel. They have all been merged into intel now.
Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu apm ark ast chips cirrus dummy epson fbdev fglrx freedreno geode glint i128 i740 impact intel mach64 mga modesetting neomagic newport nouveau nv nvidia omap omapfb qxl r128 radeon radeonsi rendition s3 s3virge savage siliconmotion sis sisusb sunbw2 suncg14 suncg3 suncg6 sunffb sunleo suntcx tdfx tegra tga trident tseng v4l vesa via virtualbox vmware voodoo"
Notice that only Intel appears.

The emerge message can be ignored for testing. Portage cannot tell in you will run the software on the build host, so its not a (emerge) error to see warnings about bits missing from your kernel.
The package will still build correctly.

As long as your kernel provides the symbol names that the software wants at run time it will work too.
The warning is something to investigate if Xorg won't run.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
sasq
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... Shouldn't it be updated in the official documentation too then? I wouldn't have to ask on the forums if the documentation was up to date. As it is now, it is quite confusing.

Thanks for your help, though. I remember you from this forums and I remembered that your replies were always helpful.
I'll go with your advice and ignore this message then, let's see if it works...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: