View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lowley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: X11 error: "(KMS) drm report modesetting isn't supporte Reply with quote

hello

I am a newbie about gentoo and I'm trying to install gentoo on an old computer.
the computer is a dell inspiron 5150c, with a video card ATI Radeon X600.

during the installation of gentoo, I decided to set the profile to ".../desktop/plasma", I updated the @world (which took me 1 day!), and got a brand new gentoo in console mode.

I would like to swap to plasma, and for this I read I had to install X11.

it is now installed, but I can't start it using "startx", because I get this error:

Quote:
gentoo ~ # startx
xauth: file /root/.serverauth.3133 does not exist

X.Org X Server 1.17.4
Release Date: 2015-10-28
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 4.4.6-gentoo x86_64 Gentoo
Current Operating System: Linux gentoo 4.4.6-gentoo #1 SMP Wed Jul 20 23:18:27 2016 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-4.4.6-gentoo root=UUID=5c24430c-c6e8-4154-9480-4c456132a8da ro
Build Date: 22 July 2016 02:28:17PM

Current version of pixman: 0.32.8
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Jul 22 19:58:04 2016
(==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(II) [KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported.
(EE)
Fatal server error:
(EE) no screens found(EE)
(EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at http://wiki.x.org
for help.
(EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
(EE)
(EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error

Before this, I modified the kernel as indicated in https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide.

here is an info I grab about my graphic card (I do not remember which statement I used):

Quote:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV370 [Radeon X600/X600 SE] [1002:5b62]
01:00.1 Display controller [0380]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV380 [Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series] (Secondary) [1002:5b72]

here is some make.conf informations :

Quote:
# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
# built this stage.
# Please consult /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for a more
# detailed example.
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
# WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
# Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml before changing.
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
# These are the USE and USE_EXPAND flags that were used for
# buidling in addition to what is provided by the profile.
USE="bindist alsa usb"
CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx sse sse2"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
DISTDIR="${PORTDIR}/distfiles"
PKGDIR="${PORTDIR}/packages"
GRUB_PLATFORMS="pc"
VIDEO_CARDS="radeon"
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev"

maybe should I install the proprietary driver from the AMD site?

thank you,

lowley
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd... shouldn't have to explicitly say you want framebuffer support in the kernel options. Try a fresh kernel config and just specify that you want DRI support in kernel and let the kernel enable any fbcon options that are necessary.

You should see your video change modes upon boot in either way, but you should not be using the regular fbcon driver, the DRI driver should be used.

If you want a stopgap solution you could install the X11 VIDEO_CARDS=fbcon driver though that would be very slow. Better to get radeon working.

Posting your kernel's .config file somewhere could be helpful.
lowley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello, thank you for your answer.

here is my kernel config file : http://pastebin.com/GRMqqJXG

for other points, I am sorry but I don't really understand you.

what is DRI? it is for Driver?
how can I grab a fresh .config file? Won't it break my system?
I'm afraid of fbcon driver, if you say it will slow the system; indeed I wonder wether plasma is too recent for y old computer and my old video card...

sorry if it is trivial to you but could you give me some concrete statements?

olivier
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set this to 'N' in your kernel config:

CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_UMS=y

DRI is the Direct Rendering Infrastructure. I tend to use it instead of "DRM" though Direct Rendering Manager is more appropriate at times. However I don't like the other interpretation of "DRM" implying copyright problems...

I was worried you set some of the FBCON settings but it looks like you didn't so you may not need to start with a fresh .config again.
lowley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I am compiling the kernel now... let's wait and see
lowley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh no! same error, here's what I did : I edited .config in /usr/src/linux, searched for "CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_UMS" and set it to "N", but when entered "make && modules_install", I get a warning asking me to choose which option for CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_UMS; I entered "N" but I fear it stands for "New".
I will try to set it to "not set".

olivier

EDIT : back from .config : it was set to ... not set.
then I don't know how to continue.
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have-you read radeon - Gentoo Wiki? The Linux Radeon support need firmware files to work. If you put the Radeon support with KMS in the kernel image, the firmware files must be include in the kernel image too. If you compile the Radeon support in module and use an initramfs with the radeon module in, the firmware files must be in the initramfs too. If you wait that the Linux kernel access the real root partition for it to load the radeon module, you must have the firmware files in /lib/firmware/radeon.

A principle I respect is to give to a support anything it need when it probe the device it drive. If it miss something, here firmware files, the probe will probably fail. You have several ways to get Radeon KMS support. The earlier you can get it is to put the Radeon support in the kernel image with the firmware files in too. Than you get a frambuffer console when the Linux kernel is load. Than Xorg should start using the X radeon module with KMS support.

You can use dracut to create an initramfs with the radeon module in. It should include the needed firmware files in too if they are emerge. Than use this initramfs with your Linux kernel image with your bootloader. You need to emerge the radeon-ucode package in any case. Otherwise, you will have to use an other framebuffer suppport than Radeon and will not have KMS support.

Last edited by Logicien on Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:39 pm; edited 6 times in total
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to help clear up some of the confusion that you have on the kernel config.

When you set something to Y, you are mean you want that option compiled into the kernel
M means you want it compiled as an module that the kernel can load when needed
N means you do NOT want this option, and the kernel will not compile that at all.

Just because you enable support for something (either built in or as an module) does not mean the kernel will use it. You can perfectly well make a kernel that supports everything (this is about what a binary distro does for their kernels, they make a kernel that supports most stuff, so most people can use it). However, just enabling everything does increase the kernel's size, and potentially increasing the boot time.

Another note, after you recompile the kernel, be sure that your boot partition is mounted before installing the kernel and you will need to reboot to use the new kernel. Just because you did not mount the boot partition, does not mean you won't have a /boot folder. The contents of /boot may be different than when you have boot partition mounted.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowley,

What does
lowley wrote:
I edited .config in /usr/src/linux, ...
mean?

If you used a text editor on the .config file, throw it away. In menuconfig some options set several CONFIG_ entries in the .config file.
Not all combinations are legal. Building a kernel wint an illegal .config file causes some very strange hard to find errors.
e.g.
Code:
 Symbol: DRM_RADEON [=n]                                                                                                                                                            │ 
  │ Type  : tristate                                                                                                                                                                      │ 
  │ Prompt: ATI Radeon                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         │ 
  │   Location:                                                                                                                                         │ 
  │     -> Device Drivers                                                                                                                                                                                                                               │ 
  │ (1)   -> Graphics support                                                        │ 
  │   Defined at drivers/gpu/drm/Kconfig:128                                                                                                             │ 
  │   Depends on: HAS_IOMEM [=y] && DRM [=y] && PCI [=y]                                                                         │ 
  │   Selects: FB_CFB_FILLRECT [=y] && FB_CFB_COPYAREA [=y] && FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT [=y] && FW_LOADER [=y] && DRM_KMS_HELPER [=y] && DRM_KMS_FB_HELPER [=y] && DRM_TTM [=y] && POWER_SUPPLY [=y] && HWMON [=m] && BACKLIGHT_CLASS_DEVICE [=y] && BACKLIGHT_LCD_SUPPORT [=y] && INTERVAL_TREE [=n]   

When you select ATI Radeon in menuconfig, it not only selects DRM_RADEON [=y], it also sets on everything in the Selects: list.

It breaks and you get to keep all the pieces when you use a text editor on /usr/src/linux/.config

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: X11 error: "(KMS) drm report modesetting isn't supp Reply with quote

lowley wrote:
Quote:
gentoo ~ # startx
xauth: file /root/.serverauth.3133 does not exist
Your current problem is probably not caused by running X as root, but you still should not run X as root. Run startx as your user account, so that the programs started by your window manager run as your user.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can usually see if a firmware file is missing by inspecting the 'dmesg' output. The kernel should give an error if it tried to load a firmware file and failed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: