View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that, but it was pulled in as a dependency. I am not using it, but it's there and I cannot say no. I do not mind that it is there. Still, I cannot get this working.
Navar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Posted while in KDE plasma 5.7.x 'series' Reply with quote

@Genstorm, I'm unsure what you're getting at. I'm trying to help the OP having been at it first hand with similar setup, since I'm running an older 3.18 kernel, 304 nvidia drivers, etc. He's running "x86" I'm "~x86" keyworded in this particular test. That's about the only real difference. Mine is running, albeit problematic (like others in other threads). In my case, there are two options presented for a plasma session, one as (wayland) (if indicated at all), and one as just plain plasma (presuming X11), depending on if you're running SDDM or LightDM. Maybe that's because I'm toying with 5.7.x series. What I'm clearly not trying to do is run wayland at all, which is aimed/forced at being default.

Additionally, I'm going by their ongoing commentary. Along with some other threads here in the forums.

See make.conf settings below.

Also, RDEPS and DEPS:

# emerge -pv1 mesa

Code:
Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] media-libs/mesa-12.0.1::gentoo  USE="dri3 nptl udev -bindist -classic -d3d9 -debug -egl* -gallium
 -gbm* -gles1 -gles2 -llvm -opencl -openmax -osmesa -pax_kernel -pic (-selinux) -vaapi -valgrind -vdpau -wayland*
 -xa -xvmc" VIDEO_CARDS="(-freedreno) -i915 -i965 -ilo -intel -nouveau -r100 -r200 -r300 -r600 -radeon -radeonsi
 (-vc4) -vmware" 0 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 KiB

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

media-libs/mesa:0

(media-libs/mesa-12.0.1:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    media-libs/mesa (Argument)

(media-libs/mesa-12.0.1:0/0::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    media-libs/mesa[egl,gbm,gles2?,wayland] required by (kde-plasma/kwin-5.7.0:5/5::gentoo, installed)
                    ^^^ ^^^        ^^^^^^^                                                                                                                                     
    >=media-libs/mesa-10.3.4-r1[egl,gbm] required by (x11-base/xorg-server-1.18.3:0/1.18.3::gentoo, installed)
                                ^^^ ^^^                                                                                                                             
    >=media-libs/mesa-9.1.6[egl,abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,
abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_ppc_32(-)?,abi_ppc_64(-)?,abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?] required by
 (x11-libs/cairo-1.14.6:0/0::gentoo, installed)
                            ^^^                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    media-libs/mesa[egl] required by (kde-frameworks/kwayland-5.24.0:5/5.24::gentoo, installed)
                    ^^^                                                                                                           

It might be possible to solve this slot collision
by applying all of the following changes:
   - media-libs/mesa-12.0.1 (Change USE: +wayland +gbm +gles2 +egl)[/quote]

Pretty much zero reason, as much as I can infer from your vague comment, for mesa with wayland requirements, which the ebuilds are forcing. The reasons for my settings are hardware specific to the situation forced into (as is anyone using nvidia 304 drivers--there is no working alternative) not anything else which might be inferred other than avoidance of *kit and systemd.

make.conf:
USE="-ppp -ipv6 -udisks -policykit -consolekit -libav -modemmanager         \
     -egl -gles1 -gles2 -llvm -wayland -gbm -sddm -gallium                  \
     threads X                                                              \
    "

So either there are mistakes in the dependencies of the ebuild, or code paths are being utilized regardless of hardware/driver capabilities presented versus anything the user attempts to do otherwise by items making wayland components mandatory, such as kwin and kscreenlocker (the very things showing off/on issues).
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I need to clarify my stance on Wayland. I am not against it once it is finished. If X truly is so old that we cannot progress with it, then we do need something else. However, I do not want Wayland until it works and is complete. To me this means being compatible with the older X API (run older apps if needed), being stable, and being complete as it was stated feature-wise. I believe right now it is like a "developer preview". At least that is what I read about it a few months back.

Anyway, nothing has worked thus far to resolve the issue. If KDE/Wayland/whatever is requiring hardware rendering support which low-end or older cards do not offer, it is a step int he wrong direction. Requiring that for a game is one thing, but for the basic OS to function? Come on, there are tons of desktops that don't even use compositing, so why require these things?

*UPDATE*

Yep, I found the quote I was thinking about on the page which was linked above.
Quote:
Wayland support in the KDE Plasma Workspaces is in a tech-preview state.

Another reason Plasma is such an epic fail. Plasma itself has issues, and now it is dependent upon an incomplete library, causing more issues. This is like a beta-test in my opinion, but it has been forced upon us so now we need to make this mess work.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Great_Sephiroth wrote:
Another reason Plasma is such an epic fail. Plasma itself has issues, and now it is dependent upon an incomplete library, causing more issues. This is like a beta-test in my opinion, but it has been forced upon us so now we need to make this mess work.

You are not using wayland.
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that, Genstorm. I never said I was and in fact stated that I was not using it. I know how to select it at the login screen if I want to try it. I was making the point that the current version of KDE, which has its own issues, is requiring anothe rproject which, as the KDE team puts it, is in a developer preview state. I have not once said I used Wayland.

I also found a work-around for the issue. If I use Mesa GL, I can use the laptop, but it is SLOW. If I use nVidia GL, I cannot use the system at all. So my perception on this is that due to Plasma and/or Wayland requiring all kinds of features I don't even use, I cannot use it on this hardware. Great forward thinking on somebody's part.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Great_Sephiroth wrote:
I also found a work-around for the issue. If I use Mesa GL, I can use the laptop, but it is SLOW. If I use nVidia GL, I cannot use the system at all.

KDE is certainly not responsible for Nvidia failing to provide the support you need. It *looks* like your chip should actually be able to run Plasma-5 and it certainly does with nouveau, but for some reason the binary blob is failing to do so (i.e. it may advertise an OpenGL version while not fully supporting it). KDE does not have infinite resources to adapt to every driver bug. I think I've seen a similar bug about nvidia legacy-drivers at bugs.kde.org but I can't seem to find it now...

Meanwhile, you could try to switch off compositing in ~/.config/kwinrc:
Code:
[Compositing]
Enabled=false

Alternatively, try switch Backend to 'XRender'.
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not blame the KDE team for nVidia support. I questioned why the hell all these features are needed for basic things that I use like translucency. Hell, Windows Vista through 10 work fine on said system, offering translucency, fading, etc. I do not use the 3D desktop or anything else fancy. Just the basics, and you're telling me that I need EGL and all of this other crap for basic things my old 3dfx Voodoo card can do? That makes no sense.

I did disable compositing as a test, and no go. I still get the black screen with cursor. I am not sure how to switch to XRender.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what's the problem with EGL now, but your Plasma session will use GLX anyway. Please stay focussed...

'Backend' is right there in the same section you were editing already.

Other things you can try (one after another):
- Move an existing ~/.kde4 directory to ~/.oldkde4
- Remove ~/.config/plasma*rc
- Remove ~/.local/share/kscreen
- Remove ~/.config/kactivitymanagerdrc

For more help we would need to wait for some Nvidia user going through the same pains, as I don't have a single Nvidia driven system in use for good reasons... You may want to change your title from 'issues' to something more precise so help is more likely to find its way.
Josef.95
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Plasma with nVidia issue... Reply with quote

I use a ten years old
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV43M [GeForce Go 6600] (rev a2)
with nvidia-drivers-304.131-r4 on Plasma 5
it works fine with Composite and standard Desktop-Effects.

From
~/.xsession-errors:
OpenGL vendor string:                   NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string:                 GeForce Go 6600/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version string:                  2.1.2 NVIDIA 304.131
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
Driver:                                 NVIDIA
Driver version:                         304.131
GPU class:                              NV40/G70
OpenGL version:                         2.1.2
GLSL version:                           1.20
X server version:                       1.18.4
Linux kernel version:                   4.1.30
Requires strict binding:                no
GLSL shaders:                           limited
Texture NPOT support:                   yes
Virtual Machine:                        no

I think it`s not a driver fault.
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it isn't a driver issue because it worked until I did a sync and update, and the driver wasn't updated, but KDE was. Genstorm, I have a few ideas to try now. Another user messaged me and it made something click. I'll post the results after I get a chance to rebuild everything and try it.
donmartio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

i have a similar problem for a while now.
My screen is not black but the greeter stays as background (including the login dialog).
I could see the shadow of the taskbar and the context menu. The only program i could start (and see) using krunner (invisible)
is systemsettings. I tried different composite settings but that changes nothing.

My Card is a GeForce GTX 970 and i'm using the nvidia-drivers-367.44 (the latests). But
the problem was the same with nvidia-drivers-367.18, nvidia-drivers-364.19 and nvidia-drivers-364.15.

At first i thought this is just a temporary problem with the new plasma5, so i used xfce4 for a while.
But it's still not gone, and this is annoying.

I tried a complete fresh user, sddm, lightdm and stuff like [ur=https://fitzcarraldoblog.wordpress.com/2016/07/17/getting-kde-plasma-5-to-work-with-the-nvidia-closed-source-driver-in-gentoo-linux/l]this[/url].

The system in my office works now, but that's a kubuntu system and the nouveau driver.

So it would be great if there is any new trail i could follow.
donmartio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, using xorg-x11 opengl plasma starts. Pretty slow and clumsy but it starts.
donmartio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i found the reason, but no solution so far.

Code:
OpenGL vendor string:
OpenGL renderer string:
OpenGL version string:
OpenGL shading language version string:
Driver:                                 Unknown
Driver version:                         32552.63153.3224
GPU class:                              Unknown
OpenGL version:                         0.0
GLSL version:                           0.0
Linux kernel version:                   4.7.2
Requires strict binding:                yes
GLSL shaders:                           yes
Texture NPOT support:                   no
kwin_core: Failed to initialize compositing, compositing disabled

For whatever reason glGetString gets no information about the gl subsystem.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the same prompt that produced that output, what is the output of id?
donmartio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, the output is from the .xsession-errors. There is no id.
donmartio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted my issue here.

They suggest that the driver is broken.

Since opengl is running under xfce4 and nobody else seem to have this problem, i suspect that anything with my system
is not as it should be.

Maybe somebody with a running plasm5 desktop using the nvidia-driver could post me things like
driver-version, use flags and compiler flags.

Thanks in advance.

[Moderator edit: Fixed incorrect use of [url] tag. -Hu]
donmartio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After i've recompiled the nvidia-drivers without the compat useflag i have the expected OpenGL data in my .xsession-errors

Code:
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 1706, resource id: 18874371, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 1710, resource id: 65011715, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 1907, resource id: 18874376, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 2104, resource id: 65011720, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0
OpenGL renderer string:                 GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version string:                  OpenGL ES 3.2 NVIDIA 367.44
OpenGL shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
Driver version:                         367.44
OpenGL version:                         3.2
GLSL version:                           3.20
Currrent active notifications: QHash()
Guessing partOf as: 0
 New Notification:  "KWin Window Manager" "Desktop effects were restarted due to a graphics reset" -1 & Part of: 0
Couldn't find node shadow. Skipping rendering.
OpenGL ES 3.1 entry points not found. This is odd because the driver returned a context of version 3.2

But i have transparent windows (now i see some shades).

I'll try older drivers.
donmartio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't compile the older drivers because of this error

Code:
redefinition of ‘radix_tree_empty’

Anybody with a working nvidia/plasma5 combination out there?
Josef.95
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donmartio wrote:
Can't compile the older drivers because of this error

Code:
redefinition of ‘radix_tree_empty’

Anybody with a working nvidia/plasma5 combination out there?

Hm yes, works fine here:
Code:
OpenGL renderer string:                 GeForce GTX 660 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version string:                  4.5.0 NVIDIA 367.44
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.50 NVIDIA
OpenGL version:                         4.5
GLSL version:                           4.50

For compile older drivers you need a older kernel-version (or patched drivers).
donmartio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

thanks for the reply.
Would you mind to send me the use flags you've activated for nvidia-drivers and kwin?

Are you using wayland and/or systemd?

kind regards
DonMartio
donmartio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is mine

Code:
OpenGL renderer string:                 GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version string:                  OpenGL ES 3.2 NVIDIA 367.44
OpenGL shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
OpenGL version:                         3.2
GLSL version:                           3.20

So my installation tries OpenGL ES instead of OpenGL.
Martin Gäßling pointed out, kwin will not work with OpenGL ES.
So what can i do now to force OpenGL here instead of OpenGL ES.
The (for me) most obvious solution, removing the gles2 use flag, doesn't work since there are a lot of blocking dependencies.

Any hint appreciated.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try harder then. gles2 is not on by default, and whatever blocker you have should be easily solvable.
donmartio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh... this was a long ride.

Thanks, i got it. Had to un/-reinstall some qt-related and mesa packets.
Now plasma is running. Cleaning up the mess of the tests.

Thank you very much.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: