Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
rxvt-unicode caused problems with X/gnome?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quykfox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: rxvt-unicode caused problems with X/gnome? Reply with quote

I am usually a gnome user, but recently I decided to experiment with i3wm, so I installed that and x11-terms/rxvt-unicode (urxvt). Before I installed urxvt, both Gnome and i3 were both working well. When I failed to get an satisfactory results from urxvt, I unmerged it. However, I started to have problems in gnome shortly afterwards which I suspect were caused by issues with X. Transparency stopped working in gnome-terminal, and my applications were much slower to load than before. When I opened emacs, the colors in my theme would often be wrong as well. Transparency did still work in the top bar though. i3 is not having any such problems.

I followed the instructions on the Gentoo Wiki when installing urxvt, and I made the following to my configuration, which I carefully reversed afterwards:

I added the following line to the top of my ~/.xinitrc:
Code:
[[ -f ~/.Xresources ]] && xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources

I created a ~/.Xresources file:
Code:

! Using Xft
URxvt*font:           xft:Monospace:size=8

Xft.dpi:        96
Xft.antialias:  true
Xft.rgba:       rgb
Xft.hinting:    true
Xft.hintstyle:  hintslight
Xft.autohint:   false
Xft.lcdfilter:  lcddefault

URxvt.scrollBar: false
URxvt.scrollBar_right: false
URxvt.scrollBar_floating: false
URxvt.scrollstyle: rxvt

My current ~/.xinitrc file contains only
Code:
exec gnome-session
, though I am using GDM instead of startx now.

I'm curious if anyone knows the source of these issues or has any ideas; I haven't found anything yet on the subject with Google, and I didn't find any unusual output in dmesg. I've only been using Gentoo for a few weeks (I come from an Arch background) so please forgive me if I've made some obvious mistakes with removing software :oops:
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not certain that rxvt-unicode is the source of your problem. After unmerge rxvt-unicode did you do
Code:
emerge -ac

to be sure that some possible orphan packages have been remove too? Have you put some rxvt-unicode custom USE flags globally in make.conf that have change the behaviour of other packages?

Problem with transparency sound like hardware acceleration problem. rxvt-unicode is merged here with the same .Xresources setup and I never suspect it can be an issue.
quykfox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your suggestions. I did do an emerge -ac after removing rxvt-unicode, and no packages were selected for removal, which made sense, since it didn't require any dependencies to install, for me. I did not add any custom USE flags or change make.conf.

However, the problems seems to have gone away now, though not due to any action I took (I was afraid to try anything until I got some insight)...
GDM now appears to be starting differently during the boot process. Before, I would see a virtual terminal login prompt, then GDM would appear a few seconds later. Now I just see the message "This is <hostname>." displayed very briefly before the login screen appears. I'm not really sure what that means, but I'm still curious about what might have prompted the change, or this whole incident in general.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: