Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Enable xft USE flag for Emacs in desktop profiles ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mefyl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Enable xft USE flag for Emacs in desktop profiles ? Reply with quote

Hi there,

while installing on a new laptop with a HDPI display, my Emacs was stuck with lilliputian font size. It was unable to change size and did not list the (many) fonts I had installed on X. After some digging around, I found out that I needed the "xft" USE flag enabled for this to work correctly. My hunch is that desktop profiles should enable this as it seems to be a reasonable default ? One hardly wants to not be able to use X fonts in emacs on a desktop setup I suppose, and the issue was quite frustrating while it could work out of the box.

I'm not too experienced with profiles and reporting such issues, so feel free to correct my logic or my ways.

Cheers,
renee77
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Enable xft USE flag for Emacs in desktop profiles ? Reply with quote

mefyl wrote:
Hi there,

while installing on a new laptop with a HDPI display, my Emacs was stuck with lilliputian font size. It was unable to change size and did not list the (many) fonts I had installed on X. After some digging around, I found out that I needed the "xft" USE flag enabled for this to work correctly. My hunch is that desktop profiles should enable this as it seems to be a reasonable default ? One hardly wants to not be able to use X fonts in emacs on a desktop setup I suppose, and the issue was quite frustrating while it could work out of the box.

I'm not too experienced with profiles and reporting such issues, so feel free to correct my logic or my ways.

Cheers,

No idea if your logic makes sense. I think gentoo is about configuring with a freedom of choice in what to or how to install your system.

Now about that use flag in /etc/portage you have a package.use directory or file
- with the directory you have to create and edit
/etc/portage/package.use/emacs-comon-gentoo (filling in you are refering to this package)

put in file
app-emacs/emacs-common-gentoo xft

- with /etc/portage/package.use file add the same line
app-emacs/emacs-common-gentoo xft

first is refering to package second is useflag you can add more flags by separating them with a space

goodluck
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: