Is there anyway to install app-editors/atom without electron
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
truongan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Is there anyway to install app-editors/atom without electron Reply with quote

When atom first introduced into portage tree, I remember clearly that it only required nodejs to build. But later electron was introduced and atom is depend on it. But electron is a monstrous 500MiB package that check for at least 10GiB hard disk before start building. I dont' understand why it was so big and I only want atom. Moreover, the archlinux AUR's atom package don't require electron to build: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/atom-editor/
Can we bring back the atom-editor without electron please.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there anyway to install app-editors/atom without elec Reply with quote

truongan wrote:
Can we bring back the atom-editor without electron please.

Such a thing does not exist, Atom has always used Electron.

Arch's package doesn't list Electron as a dependency because Arch has no QA process to prevent redundant bundled copies of third party code, which Electron (i.e. all of Chromium) is in this case. You'll notice the Arch package dependency list is nothing but build tools and a few UI libraries; that's because all it does is exactly what the ebuild does but worse. You can't run a webapp with GTK2 alone.

If you have complaints about the size, take them to Google for making their browser's build process so horribly bloated, or Atom for writing such lazy, inefficient software. Don't shoot the messenger.
truongan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know those packages are bloated because their creator care more about throwing stuff on more platforms than creating efficient linux specific software. Both google and github are not so linux-friendly but at least they open the source code. And taking the guru-ish vim and emacs aside, I don't see any open source editor that can beat atom.

I'm curious because there was a (brief) time when exist an atom package that doesn't require electron. And I wonder if anyone want to bring it back? In some overlays maybe? As far as I'm concern, I don't have anything that require electron but Atom so a bundled one is not redundant in my case.
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the document that Ant P. linked, I suspect that any version which did not specify electron as a requirement was deficient in its specification, rather than actually working without Electron. If you can identify the specific version that does not require Electron, we could look at how it achieved that.
truongan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Based on the document that Ant P. linked, I suspect that any version which did not specify electron as a requirement was deficient in its specification, rather than actually working without Electron. If you can identify the specific version that does not require Electron, we could look at how it achieved that.

To the best of my knowledge atom does provide pre-built package that have electron bundle: https://github.com/atom/atom/releases/download/v1.8.0/atom-amd64.tar.gz
Maybe we can incorporate into gentoo as atom-bin or something. I know binary package kinda go against gentoo ideology but building the monstrous size electron scare the hell out of me

PS:
On the other hand, arch linux have a package for building atom: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/atom-editor/ and I think that build from this upstream link: https://github.com/atom/atom/archive/v1.8.0.tar.gz and it's pretty light to build, I don't have to download anything as big as electron. Maybe someone with better knowledge can take a look into this.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, the reason the Arch package looks so tiny is because it only installs *build dependencies*. It's still going to install (possibly even compile) Electron outside of package management, with all the technical debt that entails.
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bundling electron does not count as not requiring electron. Creating a -bin package would still require someone to build it once. If anything were to be posted as a prebuilt package, I would suggest an electron-bin, then let Atom depend on electron || electron-bin.

In my opinion, you should abandon this monster and find a lighter weight text editor. There are many good editors from before the days that everything had to be a "web app." I suggest beginning your search with Emacs and Vim.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: