KDE5 no hibernation...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject: KDE5 no hibernation... Reply with quote

Alright, I am starting to believe that Linux is at the end of the road. Choice is now gone, freedom is gone. KDE5 cannot hibernate but 4 can. I looked into it. In KDE4 we used upower-pm-utils. In 5 we must use upower. The issue? The current upower is controlled by the Borg. That's right, it uses systemd. This means I cannot use 5 on ANY system. We need suspend and hibernate on our systems, especially the laptops!

So, is there a Gentoo-based fix or do we move to Windows? I am not blaming Gentoo here, the upower team was assimilated. I just have zero interest in using the piece of junk titled "systemd", nor do I intend on pretending there is any distro aside from Redhat once systemd takes over package management. If I want impossible to read binary logs and impossible to troubleshoot binary init crap, I will use Windows. At least it works and doesn't run a damn web-server next to my kernel!
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not exactly a fix, but I made a custom keyboard shortcut that runs this command:

qdbus org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver /ScreenSaver Lock & echo 'mem' | sudo tee /sys/power/state
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would work if I hit a key every time, but I need it to work if I step away, get a call, and am gone for hours with my job. You know, the automatic way. If nothing works I can always wipe the disk and reinstall Gentoo and KDE4, but that prevents updating, so I may just use 7 Pro since the laptop has a license.
Hu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are overstating the problem. I have never used either upower-pm-utils or upower for my hibernation/suspend operations. Linux hibernation works fine using sys-power/suspend, and keet's approach looks like it would work as well, using the in-kernel suspend support. Your problem is not that Linux is broken. Your problem is that your preferred desktop environment has made it much less convenient to use the hibernation method that you want. Please do not confuse the desktop environment making a decision you dislike with the distribution being fundamentally broken.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Great_Sephiroth wrote:
so I may just use 7 Pro since the laptop has a license.

You keep saying that as if that was meant to motivate others to help you.

Known issue: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=579564
mrbassie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge sys-power/suspend, then:

Code:
#echo SLEEP_MODULE=uswsusp >> /etc/pm/config.d/module && echo S2RAM_OPTS="-f" >> /etc/pm/config.d/defaults

Works at least with suspending session from plasma menu and lid closes. Doesn't seem to work with idle settings.
Helmering
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7911126.html#7911126 works for me.

Cheers
KuroNeko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using sddm to login to Plasma5?
Have you tried the fixes in the upgrade wiki? https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/Plasma_5_upgrade#Missing_shutdown.2Freboot.2Fsuspend.2Fhibernate_buttons_.28using_OpenRC.29
Especially the nox11 is important in my opinion. Also upower works fine on my systems with consolkit2 and openrc.
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I am responding in reverse-order.

KuroNeko wrote:
Have you tried the fixes in the upgrade wiki? https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/Plasma_5_upgrade#Missing_shutdown.2Freboot.2Fsuspend.2Fhibernate_buttons_.28using_OpenRC.29

I checked system-login and the output is identical to the wiki article, including the nox11, so I should be good there.

helmering wrote:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7911126.html#7911126 works for me.

I just created the 50-xxx rule but haven't rebooted. I will update this post when I finish posting and reboot.

mrbassie wrote:
#echo SLEEP_MODULE=uswsusp >> /etc/pm/config.d/module && echo S2RAM_OPTS="-f" >> /etc/pm/config.d/defaults

I saw other posts recommending this one as well, but still not quite what I wanted. If push comes to shove, it may have to do for me, but it won't work for our normal, non-technical users.

genstorm wrote:

No, I am stating a fact. I know that you love KDE5 and there is nothing wrong on your end. Many of us are having issues though. The rest of my response is below with Hu's response.

Hu wrote:
Your problem is not that Linux is broken. Your problem is that your preferred desktop environment has made it much less convenient to use the hibernation method that you want. Please do not confuse the desktop environment making a decision you dislike with the distribution being fundamentally broken.

No, I stated things correctly. More and more projects are jumping onto the systemd band-wagon. Some love and some hate it. The thing is, it is being forced upon those of us who do not want it, which is why I left Debian and moved to Gentoo, like many others. Systemd is flawed, bloated, and is, in my opinion, WAY more than a simple init system. It is unstable and hackable. Since it is tied into the kernel, the kernel being Linux, then yes, it is slowly becoming broken.

What I did not say was that it was Gentoo. I did not blame the awesome Gentoo devs or anybody on the team. They can only do so much unless they want to rewrite every piece of software available, which I doubt will happen. The point that I was making was that more and more software is caving to pressure to use systemd. As the software is switched, it becomes harder to use Linux without it. Systemd is a cancer in my eyes, and while I could go to Unix/BSD, if KDE/Gnome/whatever needs it, then I will need shims/emulation or another desktop environment anyway, so why not switch to something the world uses? Again, I am NOT blaming Gentoo, any Gentoo or forum member, or anything like that. I am becoming increasingly frustrated at losing freedom because I am having systemd rammed down my throat, like Obamacare was.
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have kept systemd masked here for longer than I can remember. This provides me good warning whenever a package I want tries to bring in systemd, and so far has warned me soon enough that I did not remove a non-systemd solution only to discover myself stuck.

You may not have intended your opening post as broadly as I read it, but when you start your post with I am starting to believe that Linux is at the end of the road., I interpret that to be a commentary about Linux in general, not about Gentoo Linux, nor KDE5-on-Linux, etc. Hence, I said that you were overstating the problem because, as best I can tell from the facts you provided, it is only KDE5 users who are required to use Linux and systemd in order to have working hibernation. Users who remain on KDE4, or who choose some other desktop environment, are not impacted. I do not use KDE5. I have systemd masked, as above. I have working suspend and hibernation. However, my uses for it seem more limited than the ones you describe, so I may not notice the absence of functionality you consider mandatory, such as sleep-on-user-idle.
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I said "end of the road" was because it seems as though the kernel itself is being assimilated by the systemd crowd (read: RedHat and Poettering), and since the kernel IS Linux, it would be the end of the road for myself and many others. I also saw a thread somewhere about a KDE developer looking to integrate systemd. That leaves me without a desktop unless I want to use something like LXDE or XFCE.

Either way, I forgot to check hibernation after adding the rule helmering linked to me. I will check tomorrow. It is 2217hrs here and I am preparing for some sleep. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I have a LOT of respect for the entire Gentoo team, including you and the other mods here. You guys do a hell of a job offering a totally customizable OS you build yourself. Same respect goes for the Arch team.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:

No, I am stating a fact.

It is irritating at best, and for all the issues you attribute to systemd it is still a system you would be very much able to get control with, so the notion to 'cure' your itch with an entirely proprietary system is backwards.
as.gentoo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/Plasma_5_upgrade#Missing_shutdown.2Freboot.2Fsuspend.2Fhibernate_buttons_.28using_OpenRC.29 doesn't work here.
Standby works (you can call it via the KDE5 plasmashell menu), hibernate is not offered.
Code:
$> (eix sys-power/upower ; eix kde-plasma/powerdevil) | grep -Ei 'sddm|upower|powerdevil|installierte' | grep -Evi 'seite|bugs|RDEPEND' # "installierte" means "installed" and "Version" obviously "version"
* sys-power/upower
     Installierte Versionen: Version:   0.99.4
* sys-power/upower-pm-utils
     Beschreibung:           The upstream upower 0.9 git branch for use with sys-power/pm-utils     ### IOW not installed
* kde-plasma/powerdevil
     Installierte Versionen: Version:   5.6.5(5)

$> grep pam_ck_connector /etc/pam.d/system-login
session         optional        pam_ck_connector.so nox11
$> sudo rc-update show | grep dbus
                 dbus |      default
$> zgrep -i hibernate /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_HIBERNATE_CALLBACKS=y
$> grep -iRE 'hibernate|S2D' /proc
/proc/kallsyms:ffffffffffffffff T hibernate
[...]

$> (psgrep devil ; psgrep upower) | grep -v grep | sed 's/[1-9]/1/g'
root      1111  0.0  0.0 111111  1100 ?        Sl   Jun11   0:00 /usr/lib/upower/upowerd
What's the problem here?

By the way, does upower really mean systemd?
Code:
$> eix systemd | grep nstall
$> zgrep -i systemd /proc/config.gz
# CONFIG_GENTOO_LINUX_INIT_SYSTEMD is not set
$>
KuroNeko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as.gentoo wrote:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/Plasma_5_upgrade#Missing_shutdown.2Freboot.2Fsuspend.2Fhibernate_buttons_.28using_OpenRC.29 doesn't work here.
Standby works (you can call it via the KDE5 plasmashell menu), hibernate is not offered.
Code:
$> (eix sys-power/upower ; eix kde-plasma/powerdevil) | grep -Ei 'sddm|upower|powerdevil|installierte' | grep -Evi 'seite|bugs|RDEPEND' # "installierte" means "installed" and "Version" obviously "version"
* sys-power/upower
     Installierte Versionen: Version:   0.99.4
* sys-power/upower-pm-utils
     Beschreibung:           The upstream upower 0.9 git branch for use with sys-power/pm-utils     ### IOW not installed
* kde-plasma/powerdevil
     Installierte Versionen: Version:   5.6.5(5)

$> grep pam_ck_connector /etc/pam.d/system-login
session         optional        pam_ck_connector.so nox11
$> sudo rc-update show | grep dbus
                 dbus |      default
$> zgrep -i hibernate /proc/config.gz
$> grep -iRE 'hibernate|S2D' /proc
/proc/kallsyms:ffffffffffffffff T hibernate
[...]

$> (psgrep devil ; psgrep upower) | grep -v grep | sed 's/[1-9]/1/g'
root      1111  0.0  0.0 111111  1100 ?        Sl   Jun11   0:00 /usr/lib/upower/upowerd
What's the problem here?

By the way, does upower really mean systemd?
Code:
$> eix systemd | grep nstall
$> zgrep -i systemd /proc/config.gz
# CONFIG_GENTOO_LINUX_INIT_SYSTEMD is not set
$>

Since we're already there, what about CONFIG_HIBERNATION?
Also what's the output of
Code:
cat /sys/power/state

Does rc-update list dbus?
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet, I have upower while systemd is masked, and I DID solve it. Helmering has the solution. Create the plka file and hibernate shows up for all users. Below is the file and contents.
Code:

~ $ sudo cat /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/10-vendor.d/50-org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.hibernate-multiple-users.pkla
[Allow all users to hibernate with Conesolekit2]
Identity=unix-group:users
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.hibernate-multiple-users;org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.hibernate
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes

Simple, and should be there. We have a "40" file for suspend and suspend works. The entire issue is the missing rule for hibernation. How can we get this into a portage update? It's just a text-file which solves a big issue.

*UPDATE*

For clarity, the "Not yet" comment was meant to say that upower does not pull systemd yet.
as.gentoo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since we're already there, what about CONFIG_HIBERNATION?
Also what's the output of
Code:
cat /sys/power/state
Does rc-update list dbus?

Code:
$> zgrep -i HIBERNAT /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_ARCH_HIBERNATION_POSSIBLE=y
CONFIG_ARCH_HIBERNATION_HEADER=y
CONFIG_HIBERNATION=y

$> cat /sys/power/state
freeze mem disk
$> sudo rc-update | grep dbus
                 dbus |      default
as.gentoo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet, I have upower while systemd is masked, and I DID solve it. Helmering has the solution. Create the plka file and hibernate shows up for all users. Below is the file and contents.
[code]
~ $ sudo cat /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/10-vendor.d/50-org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.hibernate-multiple-users.pkla
[Allow all users to hibernate with Conesolekit2]
[...]

*UPDATE*

For clarity, the "Not yet" comment was meant to say that upower does not pull systemd yet.
I see.
man upowerd; man dbus-daemon wrote:
Users or administrators should never need to start this daemon as it will be automatically started by dbus-daemon(1) whenever an application calls into the org.freedesktop.UPower service.

SIGHUP will cause the D-Bus daemon to PARTIALLY reload its configuration file and to flush its user/group information caches. Some configuration changes would require kicking all apps off the bus; so they will only take effect if you restart the daemon. Policy changes should take effect with SIGHUP.
Can I just reload dbus-daemon to make '/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/10-vendor.d/50-org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.hibernate-multiple-users.pkla' work or do I have to reboot?
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure, I simply rebooted, but a more experienced user can chime in.

I do have an issue with this however. I upgraded my wife's laptop to KDE5 yesterday and even with this fix, she does not have hibernation support. She does have an nVidia GPU though, and I cannot use it properly in 5 because SDDM apparently only works with Mesa GL. That MIGHT be why.
mirekm
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar problem. The solution was to add user into group users.
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my users are in the users group. Also in games, video, audio, netdev, plugdev, scanner, vboxusers, disk, floppy, tape, cdrom, and maybe more.
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any ideas? My wife's laptop had hibernate in KDE 3 and 4. I kind of want it to work properly in 5.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: