[SOLVED] Firefox - ssh - network sharing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ysbeer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:18 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Firefox - ssh - network sharing Reply with quote

Hello, this is my first Gentoo install and there are some things i would like to know:

Question 1: when i emerged firefox from the portage tree, it seemed to install a FireFox Developer Edition, which crashed a few times when browsing, is there a way to get the Original FireFox?

Question 2: it seems that on this default install of Gentoo with genkernel, it includes a ssh-client? if so, do i need to secure it? how? i do not need ssh, neither do i need telnet, or VNC, how do i remove these from my system?

Question 3: by default is their anything shared on the network, like for example folders? if so, how does one check this, and disable them?

i am a noob to Gentoo so sorry for my noobie questions :?

Last edited by ysbeer on Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Syl20
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Firefox - ssh - network sharing Reply with quote

ysbeer wrote:
Question 1: when i emerged firefox from the portage tree, it seemed to install a FireFox Developer Edition, which crashed a few times when browsing, is there a way to get the Original FireFox?

On a stable system, you should have Firefox ESR (version 38.8.0) installed. On an "unstable" one, you should have the newest Firefox stable version available (47.0.1) : https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/www-client/firefox. I don't think there's a Firefox Developer Edition in the portage tree.

Please post the result of the "emerge --info" command.

Quote:
Question 2: it seems that on this default install of Gentoo with genkernel, it includes a ssh-client? if so, do i need to secure it? how? i do not need ssh, neither do i need telnet, or VNC, how do i remove these from my system?

It's the "client" component, not the "server" one. Nothing is running in the background, on your system, so you don't need to do anything.
Genkernel configures and installs the kernel, nothing more. It does not install any package.

Quote:
Question 3: by default is their anything shared on the network, like for example folders? if so, how does one check this, and disable them?

By default, nothing is installed. If you need some service, You have to install and to configure it. If you just followed the Gentoo handbook, you have a minimalistic system. It runs, it have all it needs to be autonomous, nothing more.
Most of the time, you have to install a NFS server, and/or Samba, to share directories.

Quote:
i am a noob to Gentoo so sorry for my noobie questions :?

Everybody was a noob, in the past. :wink:
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be more precise, please post the output of emerge --verbose --info www-client/firefox. This will show us general information about your system and specific information about how Firefox was built.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: