KDE Plasma + Wayland
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draenin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: KDE Plasma + Wayland Reply with quote

Hello,

I would like to use Plasma over Wayland (maybe even latter removing the X-server) but to begin with I'm having troubles to initiate Plasma on Wayland. In the sddm selection window if I choose the option Plasma (Wayland) the terminal hangs up, it does not show anything from Plasma, the sddm screen just stay. I've tried looking into the logs but I can't find anything to get a clue. If I choose the X-server version for Plasma, it runs without problems.

The system is a fresh install, for installing Plasma I did:
Code:
emerge --ask dev-libs/wayland
emerge --ask dev-qt/qtwayland
emerge --ask kde-plasma/plasma-meta
emerge --ask =qtgui-5.5.1-r1

The related USE flags are: plasma qt5 wayland
Also, VIDEO_CARDS="radeon r600"

I read somewhere that Plasma(Wayland) could hang up when initiating if I have installed qt4 (which is exactly what happens to me, btw, I don't know why it's pulling qt4 when I don't have that USE flag active globally), and that the system should be upgraded to qt5. That's the reason why I'm emerging the atom =qtgui-5.5.1-r1. But I guess I'm not upgrading the qt version properly, because although the 'KInfocenter - KDE Info Center / About System' shows Qt Version: 5.5.1 (KDE Plasma Version: 5.5.5, just in case), if I make a 'qmake -version' it still shows the qt4 version: 'Using Qt version 4.8.6 in /usr/lib64/qt4'

I tried to complete(?) the qt5 upgrade by:
Code:
emerge -av @qt5-essentials @qt5-addons

But it says that: "emerge: There are no sets to satisfy 'qt5-essentials'"

Well, I'm not sure what the problem may be. If somebody knows the steps to install Plasma/Wayland, or may have a clue of what the problem could be, chime in. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't 'upgrade' to Qt5, you install it side-by-side with Qt4. Both will stay installed as long as there are applications that need either of them, such as the kde-apps-meta bundle.

The sets only exist in Qt overlay, but you certainly don't need them. Plasma-5 and Applications will pull in the Qt packages they need.

Qt4 has no influence on Plasma-5 on wayland as long as you do not start any Qt4-based application (and then it should just work).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: