View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lebkoungcity
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: KDE Plasma 5 on x86 --> multiple crashes [closed] Reply with quote

Hello,

some weeks ago when there was this infamous news item saying that the time has come the new KDE plasma & frameworks stuff would be stable I wanted to upgrade but was stopped by the fact that my ThinkPad is a x86-machine and Qt5 wasn't stable for this yet. Last week I took some time to see if I could help on testing it and was surprised because it seemed that all packages needed to upgrade were stable!
So I followed the upgrade guide in the wiki. But not only sddm doesn't work - switching to lightdm solved this - I just get a black screen with mouse pointer. One might think it would be because I would use the nvidia-blob BUT NO: inside this machine is a "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV200/M7 [Mobility Radeon 7500]" (using x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-7.5.0). From this point on I always used a fresh user with an empty /home (completely empty, no hidden files) which I cleaned every time before trying something. In general it seems that some parts of KDE are starting because after a while when I press "Ctrl+Esc" KSysGuard starts up and is usable but most other things don't work at all or just create an empty black window.
To me it seems like there are problems with Qt so I re-emerged the packages 'qlist -ICv dev-qt/*' found plus some from kde-frameworks and some others portage thought would be needed and I thought might help. The complete list is here: http://pastebin.ca/3624276

This didn't change anything...

Other things I tried include starting X via 'startx' and see what happens when I use 'startkde' or 'krunner' or 'plasmashell' in xterm.

Some applications start like 'systemsettings5' but crash when I want to use them. What's common in those cases is that the messages in xterm always include some lines that it wasn't possible to read or write like this one:
Code:
file:///usr/lib/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/ScrollView.qml:194: TypeError: Cannot write property of null

(The given directory changes but is always some Qt5-directory.)

Here is one example of .xsessions-errors that was created in the clean /home-directory. I copied it after the 'drkonqi'-window came up to tell me that 'krunner' segfaulted after login via lightdm. In /var/log/messages comes only a line like this:
Code:
Jun 12 12:04:16 pulp-fiction kernel: krunner[22998]: segfault at 4 ip b70fa264 sp bff186cc error 4 in libQt5Qml.so.5.5.1[b6e98000+458000]

http://pastebin.ca/3624282

emerge --info is here:
http://pastebin.ca/3624284

There is no xorg.conf. Consolekit and dbus are both running.

So now I don't know what to do next. Searching the forums and the net doesn't get me any new clues...

Are there some packages missing which portage didn't pull in? (Maybe because they're not stable yet?) Is there a problem linking? (If so: Why?) Does the new KDE not work with such an old graphics card anymore?

Greetings,
a exhausted Andy

Last edited by Lebkoungcity on Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lebkoungcity
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so after one week without reply and almost two days I had this little machine compiling (with two other ones' help via distcc) different versions of dev-qt/* (incl. 5.6.0) and subsequent runs of 'emerge -auvDN world --backtrack=30' (which sometimes lasted almost half an hour to bring up the list of packages to emerge...) I'm done with KDE5 or however whoever likes it to be called. It has cost me so much time that even the transition from KDE3 to KDE4 is little against. So, without having the slightest idea why krunner or plasmashell are segfaulting I begin to think about leaving gentoo - it is not that I have to wait for emerge to finish (in some cases up to 10 hours on this pentium-m even with distcc) but because now I'm stuck in a dead-end in the past I was sure I would never be with gentoo... Or is it KDE5 that is to blame? I don't know. But in general it can't be that I have to spent days to get thinks to work...

Greetings,
a very frustrated Andy
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't KDE too heavy for this machine? I run pure OpenBox on my more powerful laptop, I want the resources allocated to useful apps instead of running a bloated DE.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the issues reported here (except for SDDM it was probably missing /etc/sddm.conf or sddm user not part of video group) but I've also never used distcc myself which may or may not be the cause of them...

One thing for sure, the OpenGL driver falling back to XRender is not optimal but would still not result in those kind of errors.

Buffoon wrote:
Isn't KDE too heavy for this machine? I run pure OpenBox on my more powerful laptop, I want the resources allocated to useful apps instead of running a bloated DE.

Most people report a much more snappy Plasma-5 than Plasma-4, and kwin was even slim enough to serve as a window manager for LXQt.
Lebkoungcity
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

genstorm wrote:
(...) except for SDDM it was probably missing /etc/sddm.conf or sddm user not part of video group (...)
SDDM gave me a complete white screen when I added sddm-user to video group - no matter whether with /etc/sddm.conf or without. So I gave up on spending time on SDDM...

genstorm wrote:
(...) but I've also never used distcc myself which may or may not be the cause of them... (...)
That would mean that distcc would cause errors in the resulting bins. I never heard of such. Errors while building I know...

Quote:
One thing for sure, the OpenGL driver falling back to XRender is not optimal but would still not result in those kind of errors.

I upgraded to dev-qt/*-5.6.1 and kde-plasma/*-5.6.5 and it still doesn't work. Now I want to see what happens when I put -opengl in make.conf.

genstorm wrote:
Buffoon wrote:

Most people report a much more snappy Plasma-5 than Plasma-4, and kwin was even slim enough to serve as a window manager for LXQt.

I never had problems with the performance of KDE - as long as it was running :evil:
gorg86
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Portage 2.2.28 (python 2.7.10-final-0, default/linux/x86/13.0/desktop/plasma, gcc-4.9.3, glibc-2.22-r4, 4.4.6-gentoo i686)

Forgot to set the new python profile?
Are there any segmentation faults by your graphics module in xorg's logs?
Lebkoungcity
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your hints!

Unfortunately my answer to both is 'no'.

There are no new python profiles:
Code:
andy@pulp-fiction /home/andy $ eselect python list --python2
Available Python 2 interpreters:
  [1]   python2.7 *
andy@pulp-fiction /home/andy $ eselect python list --python3
Available Python 3 interpreters:
  [1]   python3.4 *

and 'python-updater' found nothing to update.

And in no errors in any xorg's logs - except for two ('Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)' and 'Failed to load module "vesa" (module does not exist, 0)') but those should be unrelated and they are there since the beginning back in 2011 :wink:

In the meantime I remembered that I used prelink and so I un-prelinked (according to the wiki). But this didn't help also...

Anyway, now I'm back on KDE4 and the little fellow is now working on the list of packages which need to be re-emerged... Maybe some time in the future when I'm forced to I will give the generation 5 a new try...
Lebkoungcity
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I found out why SDDM showed a whitescreen when its user is added to the 'video' group and why plasma won't start properly: Because both rely heavily on OpenGL at least in version 2.0 and the graphics adapter is only capable of OpenGl-1.3. I replaced the
Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="radeon"
with
Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="vesa"
in /etc/portage/make.conf, unmerged x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati and had 'emerge -auvDN world' doing its job both SDDM and complete KDE Plasma 5 started successfully - but of course without hardware acceleration.

So I would say this topic is to be closed.

Andy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: