How do I emerge anaconda for python?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thurnax
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: How do I emerge anaconda for python? Reply with quote

I'm trying to learn python, I'm currently at beginner level, and I want to install anaconda which by default appears to be done from

https://www.continuum.io/downloads

I don't like to execute external programs like that so I wonder, is there an emerge:able package for anaconda that I can use instead? I can't find any in the Gentoo repository.
EugeneTheJeep
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread but I had the same question. I think the best answer is that it'd probably be pointless to use Portage. Anaconda has a simple two-step method to perform a clean uninstall:

Step 1: use anaconda-clean

If you want a super clean uninstall, i.e. get rid of all anaconda configuration files, install the anaconda-clean package (using anaconda's package manager, not portage) by opening a terminal and typing:
Code:

conda install anaconda-clean

then, in the same terminal, type:
Code:

anaconda-clean

Note that anaconda-clean will create a backup of all removed config files and your old .bash_profile in ~/.anaconda_backup. Delete that directory as well if you want it off your system for good.
Also, anaconda-clean will not delete your AnacondaProjects directory.

Step 2: Uninstall

Open a terminal and type

Code:

rm -rf ~/anaconda3

Manuallly remove Anaconda from your PATH: open ~/.bash_profile and remove or comment out this line:

Code:

export PATH="/Users/my_username/anaconda3/bin:$PATH"

Note that you can skip step 1 if you want and just perform a simple uninstall by executing step 2.

Granted, you can't use portage to update the package, either, but Anaconda also has its own simple & automated method for this. Open a terminal and run:
Code:

conda update conda
conda update anaconda

That's it. All this info is on their website so they are verified methods.

EDIT:
On a side note, when you run the Anaconda installer, you will see it installing packages that you probably already have installed via Portage, and most likely different versions from what you already have installed. Don't worry about that, they are being installed under ~/anaconda3, separate from your portage installations, and will be used only by Anaconda. Anaconda essentially has its own separate environment under which it operates, so it won't conflict with your Portage tree or hose your system.
its1louder
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is similar to a question I asked about managing python for data science stuff. For years I tried to keep my system python up to the bleeding edge to have the scientific python libraries up to the bleeding edge. This was a fools errand because the system python needs to be stable since that's what portage an so much else rely on. In the end it made sense to keep the system python separate, conservative & stable with portage and then have user installed conda envs to go wild in without breaking the system. You could do the same thing manually with virtualenv and pip but I like the curated walled garden you get with conda/conda-forge.

The reason my thread probably didn't come up in your search is that I settled on miniconda instead of anaconda because I don't need or want all that frufru gui cruft.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1004654-start-0.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: