View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Recommended joystick? Reply with quote

Can you please recommend on good joystick with reasonable price, that works ok with Gentoo?
I mean real stick for flight simulators and suitable for other popular games.
Need to set special kernel config?
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How good of a joystick do you want? What do you mean by a 'reasonable' price? There are $10 joysticks that are priced reasonably because $10 is how much they are worth, and there are probably $400 joysticks that are 'reasonably-priced' in the same sense.

Do you want a throttle (separately or as part of the joystick)? What kind of features do you prefer? What is your price range?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be more specific. What do you want to do? Are you flying a Cessna in X-plane to prepare for your private or instrument certificate? Or are you taking a day to blast ME-109s and Zeros in some combat sim?

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I did not know there is so large price range for joystick...

It is more close to 10$ and I would prefer throttle as a part of joystick (so I will be able to use it for many games),
but if it takes the price too high, a separate throttle is ok. Hope I figure out your question...

More likely I will use it (at the beginning at least) for Cessna in simulator like this: http://www.gefs-online.com/
However, later on maybe for F-16 etc.
Hope this info can help. Maybe you can recommend on two levels of joysticks: low and higher price.

In general: I know there are brand names with high prices - this is true for most products in our world -
however, as I have fantastic smartphone made in china, cost 1/5 price of iphone,
guess there are much less prices joysticks but still have good quality and features, as well - right?
At this point, your experience is important!

Thanks
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can report good success on a Microsoft sidewinder joystick, but if you really into the light aircraft sims you are going to want something like Saitek Yoke and what the heck? I swear I only paid about $100-$200 for that. You will also want some rudder pedals since yaw is important. The CH Products Pro Pedals are a good choice. Which again leaves me convinced Amazon has inflated the price.

Honestly, I would be more surprised by a joystick failing to be supported.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that price range, for a flightstick, maybe B001CXYMFS (Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick) would be good. As far as H.O.T.A.S. sticks go, it's probably not that hot-a... nevermind the expression... hot as the rest... but it's probably ok.

I have a Thrustmaster T-16000M, and it also works well.
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer using joystick but not yoke - Guess it is more versatile (can be used for many other games),
and will be suitable for the next stage: combat plain like F-16 etc.
Yoke is preferred for someone who is really preparing to private certificate, as you said,
and it is not my intention, at least for now... So B001CXYMFS looks nice - I will try to find it with better price (so far saw it around 40$).
I see that B001CXYMFS is a little better than T-16000M (Looks from pictures more convenience, and maybe has more features) -
I mean, if I will find them with the same price I will take T-16000M - right?

I wonder if there is a toy, like drone (a big trend all over) that I can buy the drone with its joystick,
and with some reasonable compromises, can use this joystick separately for flight simulator etc (This joystick can connect to desktop??) -
Or maybe I want too much...

Thanks
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found SPEED-LINK SL-6631 joystick - 2nd hand but new in package - cost 10$ - you can see this model here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SPEED-LINK-SL-6631-Vibration-Flightstick-Joystick/dp/B000EG622U
Please advise if it could be suitable for a beginner flight simulator user, and if it is not just wasting money?
Someone has any experience with?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't be certain of anything with that model but two things strike me: no throttle, and dirt cheap. No throttle can be a problem because flying an airplane requires as much use of the throttle as the other control surfaces and precision with a keyboard is difficult.

Second, it certainly doesn't have a special kernel option, but my best guess is that CONFIG_JOYSTICK_SIDEWINDER will support it. At that price it might be worth the gamble. I know that option alone supports all my hardware from usb pedals to yolk.

Actually, if you went with the sidwinder itself you would be certain of compatibility and the price is about the same.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Sidewinder-Joystick-Computer-computor/dp/B00I46FH5A/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1465074990&sr=1-2&keywords=sidewinder+joystick

pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Doctor,

As far as I can see there is no separate throttle, however according following user manual, there is a throttle on the base:
http://www.google.co.il/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwjllKKE75DNAhWE0RoKHXReAm8QFggkMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.speedlink.com%2Fsupport%2Fbin%2Fsl-6631%2Fsl-6631_manual.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGemBUi6Td6cmTnRwoaWAPyZ9mTMQ&sig2=K3bj4M5Tmh6WzKWBOP8Wbg
and here a review including referring to throttle:
http://www.alphr.com/peripherals/28084/speed-link-cougar-vibration-flightstick-review

I am going to check your link regarding sidewinder...

Thanks
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended joystick? Reply with quote

pmam wrote:
Can you please recommend on good joystick with reasonable price, that works ok with Gentoo?
I mean real stick for flight simulators and suitable for other popular games.
Need to set special kernel config?

If you play flight simulators, in reasonable price I recomended:
- Thrustmaster T.16000m

I have also:
- Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, but read bellow

I have both, both tested in the War Thunder game.

From the net:
Quote:
Logitech Extreme 3d pro uses potentiometers to measure the sticks position along 255 points per axis.
The Thrust Master 16000M uses a hall effect sensor to measure the stick's position along 16000 points per axis.
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xywa Hi,

Thrustmaster T.16000m looks nice and keet also recommended on,
However I would prefer the other one that keet recommended: B001CXYMFS (Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick) -
according keet and The Doctor this joystick is better for flight simulators, due to the separate throttle - The prices are quite close...
At the moment I am trying to get a used joystick: Saitek X52 -
It is almost new and with a tough :) negotiation I can get it in reasonable price. If not, I will buy new Thrustmaster T-Flight.
Thanks for the 'warning' about Logitech Extreme 3d pro...

Hope there are some nice flight simulators and games for Gentoo/Linux - Does War Thunder work ok with Linux?

keet: regarding your joking on H.O.T.A.S expression... here additional stuff :) Seriously: Not sure I figure out the right meaning of H.O.T.A.S...
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/22/best-flight-stick/

Thanks
The Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOTAS = hand on throttle and stick

Basically, you don't have to look down while chasing a bandit to fire a missile at him.

Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Logitech Extreme 3d pro

I am not saying is bad, but the magnet technology is brilliant. Logitech Extreme 3d was brilliant but I left in another country for a moment so I bough for the testing cheaper but famous Thrustmaster T.16000m - belive me, unbelievable precision when flying second war planes and much easier to calibrate. No dead zone as magnet technology.

Most recomended set for people on budget is:
Thrustmaster T.16000m joystick + HOTAS as throttle :P :P :P :P ,
There is so many articles and movies on You Tube about this set.

Here's why the CH Pro Throttle and Thrustmaster T16000m is one of the best HOTAS setups right now
https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/comments/472ijx/heres_why_the_ch_pro_throttle_and_thrustmaster/

pmam wrote:
Does War Thunder work ok with Linux?

Yes. Its written for Open GL. Very playable and smooth on Linux :)))

The only game I am missing for Linux is Elite Dangerous, but I will test it through PlayOnLinux app.

BTW: My first solution how to rum my joystick on Gentoo I found on Boeing simulator forum.
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xywa,

Now I see that joystick T.16000m has different technology of T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick -
So according your info it is better. On the other hand, if we want separate throttle -
need to buy CH Pro so the price became quite high. I need to reconsider it and see what to choose...

Meanwhile: Can you please inform the name of package to emerge for War Thunder - I did not find out...

Thanks
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmam wrote:
Xywa,

Now I see that joystick T.16000m has different technology of T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick -
So according your info it is better. On the other hand, if we want separate throttle -
need to buy CH Pro so the price became quite high. I need to reconsider it and see what to choose...

Meanwhile: Can you please inform the name of package to emerge for War Thunder - I did not find out...

Thanks

T.16000m is really precise, different technology which works. All I need to buy throttle separately somewhere eg. from Hotas if someone broke a joystick. or Eg new from cheap set: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Game-Power-JS285-Flight-Control-USB-Joystick-and-Throttle-PC-DVD-/301808061359?hash=item4645298baf:g:N68AAOSwv-NWVXjZ

I use steam package for Gentoo, and War Thunder is there as free multi-player game.

Or if you do not use steam, you can download linux version here: http://warthunder.com/en/
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xywa,

Thanks for your helpful info regarding joystick and throttle!

I am not familiar with steam - according wiki need to add lists of dependencies and USE flags
Hope it is the right way: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Steam

On the other hand - I had never installed manually - not with portage - with tar.gz file.
Need to check carefully how to do it...
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Hint* *hint*
If you want to have some fun with flight simulators, you may consider getting actual controller intended for flying models (with transmitter disabled, or removed - at least some simulators do understand PPM signal generated by those). They are said to be more comfortable, though I personally never used it, and I definitely wouldn't use it for melee combat games. They are not made for wagging levers.
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmam wrote:
I am not familiar with steam - according wiki need to add lists of dependencies and USE flags
Hope it is the right way: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Steam

I used to buy games for linux separatley, but steam it much easier option, with good linux support. There are now hundreds good titles for linux in steam.

I did use Overlay option from your link. 4 commands and you have steam, you do not have to spent a time with use flags and other settings.

Quote:
Overlay
The steam-launcher ebuild is available from anyc's Steam overlay or the Gentoo Gamers overlay.

anyc's Steam overlay

anyc's Steam overlay is the primary Steam overlay repository. The Gentoo Gamers overlay occasionally pulls in changes from anyc's Steam overlay, and usually does not have the latest steam-launcher ebuild available.

Install the Steam overlay repository configuration:

Code:
root #wget -P /etc/portage/repos.conf/ https://raw.githubusercontent.com/anyc/steam-overlay/master/steam-overlay.conf

Sync the Steam overlay repository:

Code:
root #emaint sync --repo steam-overlay

Note
The above only needs to be performed once, since the repository will be auto synced during emerge --sync or emaint sync --auto operations.
Install the steam-launcher ebuild:

Code:
root #emerge --ask games-util/steam-launcher

Alternatively, install the steam-meta ebuild to pull in all Steam related ebuilds:

Code:
root #emerge --ask games-util/steam-meta
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xywa,

I followed your advise and installed steam as an overlay -
it is my first overlay and I was asked to emerge dev-vcs/git as well.
At the end I chose to emerge games-util/steam-meta (instead of games-util/steam-launcher).
It looks very nice :) - Later on I will try to play and see if every thing is ok.
Beside war thunder - I am quite new comer in terms of gamer -
can you recommend on other nice Free To Play games available in steam?
There are flight simulators in steam?

Thanks a lot
J_Steel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they come in all shapes and sizes be more specific
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmam wrote:
Thanks a lot

Click on the store, in search engine write "flight", as OS "steam os + linux":
You have professional simulator X Plane and dozen of real planes :)

Quote:
X-Plane 10 Global is the latest version of a simulator that has been in development continuously for almost 20 years. This latest version of X-Plane 10 brings numerous improvements and enhancements for PC, Mac and Linux virtual pilots, unleashing the power of modern systems with its 64 bit processing and multi-core support.
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed War Thunder but get this message when trying to launch it :
"Your video card or it's driver may not be supported. Be sure to install the best video card driver and try again."
I have Intel on board video card - Can do something with kernel's driver or change preferences of Steam - or need to add video card?
Code:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another idea... I wonder if Steam as overlay requires more resources than installing Steam as emerge --ask --noreplace @steam
Maybe in this way War Thunder could run with my on board video card??
Ordinateur91
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend the Saitek X-55 Rhino HOTAS joystick, it's quite good.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: