View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you have a regular account that you could log into, then it's just a matter of su/sudo in to do what you need to do.
Tony0945
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ct85711 wrote:
Don't you have a regular account that you could log into, then it's just a matter of su/sudo in to do what you need to do.
Maybe not. I tried "tony" and "guest".

Edit:
I did door #3. I mounted the drive (an old WD Caviar 80GB that will be 12 years old in November!) in place of the DVD-ROM on my Grandson's old Raidmax Smilodon tool free chassis. It was easy except for replacing the IDE cable on the DVD-ROM afterward. I had to go get a flashlight. Surprisingly the drive was /dev/sde but (hd1) to the BIOS! The BIOS defaulted to booting the sysrescuecd that is always plugged in. That worked as well. I fixed /etc/ssh_config and /etc/sshd_config. /home was empty so I created user "tony" with my usual password. Now ssh works with root and tony and tony can su.

Just going to let is sit and see what happens. For reference:
Code:
k6 ~ # free -h
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           374M         16M        308M        332K         50M        341M
Swap:          8.0G          0B        8.0G
k6 ~ #
steveL
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Thread necromancy, sue me. Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
.. I use a self-maintained ck-sources to which I apply the tuxonice patch, those are not the problem because in the course of my testing I've reverted these patches, and with only those patches from genpatches applied I've similarly had the same issue.

Tony0945 wrote:
Have you tried emerging with the "experimental" use flag and selecting march=native?

This patch is only available with > 3.14.x (as I remember), and yes, I've selected -march=native when available (for the core duo this sets -march=pentium-m).
Tony0945 wrote:
I was about to ask about memory but going into outer space while idling sounds more like an illegal instruction which relates back to the gcc parameters the kernel was built with.

echo $(gcc -v -march=native -x c /dev/null |& grep /dev/null | egrep -o -- '-+(m|param )\S+'):
-march=pentium-m -mmmx -mno-3dnow -msse -msse2 -msse3 -mno-ssse3 -mno-sse4a -mno-cx16 -mno-sahf -mno-movbe -mno-aes -mno-sha -mno-pclmul -mno-popcnt -mno-abm -mno-lwp -mno-fma -mno-fma4 -mno-xop -mno-bmi -mno-bmi2 -mno-tbm -mno-avx -mno-avx2 -mno-sse4.2 -mno-sse4.1 -mno-lzcnt -mno-rtm -mno-hle -mno-rdrnd -mno-f16c -mno-fsgsbase -mno-rdseed -mno-prfchw -mno-adx -mfxsr -mno-xsave -mno-xsaveopt -mno-avx512f -mno-avx512er -mno-avx512cd -mno-avx512pf -mno-prefetchwt1 --param l1-cache-size=32 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=2048 -mtune=generic

... that would be a common factor between both machines but I'm more inclined toward it being a kernel issue.
You should not be getting "-mtune=generic" in conjunction with "-march=native"; afair the latter is supposed to set "-mtune=native" by default (which is what you want.)
I'd expect that to fsck up a kernel.

I doubt it's a problem with the gcc specfiles; possible the kernel build-system sets it.

If still a current issue, I'd recommend forcing "-mtune=native" in CFLAGS (or whatever the kernel uses.)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: