Keep track of config file changes?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CPUFan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Keep track of config file changes? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'd like to use git to recall all system configuration files I ever changed (e.g. stuff in /var or /etc). One idea I had was to add every file before I'll ever touch it to the git repo, then commit it, then change it, and then commit it again. However, I recall having someone said this idea wasn't new. It seems to be common practice.

Is there any good blog/thread in the internet giving advice on how to keep track of all changes I made in any config files?

Thanks + Regards,
Johannes

PS: If this is OT because it's not gentoo related (not sure if the answer will be), feel free to move this thread.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep track of config file changes? Reply with quote

CPUFan wrote:
I'd like to use git to recall all system configuration files I ever changed (e.g. stuff in /var or /etc). One idea I had was to add every file before I'll ever touch it to the git repo, then commit it, then change it, and then commit it again. However, I recall having someone said this idea wasn't new. It seems to be common practice.

CPUFan ... it is, and it is also the reason why credentials and other data can often be found on github and the like ... so please make sure that whatever git server will host such stuff is not accessible to anyone.

I remember reading at one point a post on the forum re using git with dispatch-conf though on a quick search I can't find it. That might be enough to jog someone's memory. For me dispatch-conf with archive-dir is generally enough. Oh, and config files under /var?

best ... khay
comio
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep track of config file changes? Reply with quote

CPUFan wrote:
Hi,

Is there any good blog/thread in the internet giving advice on how to keep track of all changes I made in any config files?

Thanks + Regards,
Johannes

PS: If this is OT because it's not gentoo related (not sure if the answer will be), feel free to move this thread.

I prefer to use btrfs snaposhots.

ciao

luigi

e

http://www.comio.it
:)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: