[SOLVED] Can't get wifi ip address since last update
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gh0str1d3r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Can't get wifi ip address since last update Reply with quote

Since my last system update, I can't get an ip address when I connect to a wifi access point. I vaguely remember that I updated some config file with "dispatch-conf", but can't recall which one or what has been changed. I also updated the kernel from 4.5 to 4.6, but even downgrading again does not solve the problem.

I have an intel 7265 wifi card, using iwlwifi drivers. In dmsg, it says successfully authenticated, but then I don't get an IP address and after a while it says "deauthenticating from <mac> by local choice (reason=3)".

I can connect to the same wifi using windows, to the problem is definitely a software issue.

Possibly, it's related to https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1045014.html

Last edited by Gh0str1d3r on Sat May 21, 2016 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't get wifi ip address since last update Reply with quote

Gh0str1d3r wrote:
Since my last system update, I can't get an ip address when I connect to a wifi access point. I vaguely remember that I updated some config file with "dispatch-conf", but can't recall which one or what has been changed. I also updated the kernel from 4.5 to 4.6, but even downgrading again does not solve the problem.

Gh0str1d3r ... if you have 'archive-dir' set in /etc/dispatch-conf.conf then you should get some idea of what files were modifed, and what modifications were made, by checking the modification times on files in /etc/config-archive.

Gh0str1d3r wrote:
I have an intel 7265 wifi card, using iwlwifi drivers. In dmsg, it says successfully authenticated, but then I don't get an IP address and after a while it says "deauthenticating from <mac> by local choice (reason=3)".

That unfortunately doesn't tell us much, add '-dd -f /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log' to the parameters passed to wpa_supplicant, eg (using netifrc):

/etc/conf.d/net:
wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dnl80211 -dd -f /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log"

... then pastebin the log showing your authentication, and deauth. You should probably also supply conf.d/net so we can get some idea of what you are doing to provide an IP (if anything), or what dhcp client is in use.

best ... khay
Gh0str1d3r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks khay. I forgot to mention, I'm using NetworkManager and plasma-nm to manage my wireless networks. NetworkManager prints its logging information to dmsg, which I configured to print only warnings and worse (kernel log level 4) because otherwise I would see every second a message from my usb bus.

Is there a way to tell NetworkManager to log its output to a dedicated file? In particular the wpa_supplicant information that you asked for?

Here is the information in dmsg I get so far:

Code:
[  109.926929] wlp58s0: authenticate with 6c:f3:7f:af:de:52
[  109.929631] wlp58s0: send auth to 6c:f3:7f:af:de:52 (try 1/3)
[  109.930982] wlp58s0: authenticated
[  109.931763] wlp58s0: associate with 6c:f3:7f:af:de:52 (try 1/3)
[  109.934160] wlp58s0: RX AssocResp from 6c:f3:7f:af:de:52 (capab=0x411 status=0 aid=3)
[  109.935454] wlp58s0: associated
[  157.537972] wlp58s0: deauthenticating from 6c:f3:7f:af:de:52 by local choice (Reason: 3=DEAUTH_LEAVING)
are
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to downgrade to net-misc/dhcpcd-6.10.3::gentoo,
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gh0str1d3r wrote:
Is there a way to tell NetworkManager to log its output to a dedicated file? In particular the wpa_supplicant information that you asked for?

Gh0str1d3r ... I have absolutely no idea, you may find a config in /etc/NetworkManager (or similar), or something under NM preferences, that allows you to pass parameters to wpa_supplicant.

Given you're using the plasma profile I suspect you are using ~arch, if that is the case, then as are suggests above, it may be having updated to net-misc/dhcpcd-6.11.0 that is the cause. That fits with your initial description, a lack of an IP.

best ... khay
Gh0str1d3r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that was the trick. Thanks khay and are!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: