View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld, Devuan, the systemd-free fork of Debian?

Clients! I've had them specify the compiler even if they don't know what a compiler is!
Be grateful they're not specifying Win10.
swirling_vortex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're willing to step outside of Linux, you might want to consider FreeBSD. They also have an excellent handbook and the kinks seem to have been worked out of pkgng, so you don't need to compile programs from source if you don't want to. The only issue is that there's no Xen support, but FreeBSD has its own hypervisor called bhyve.
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: rhel is the 800lb gorilla Reply with quote

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is the fact that RedHat/Centos is what the commercial hardware/software vendors support above pretty much anything else. At work we do a lot of embedded development, hardware design and even custom ASIC designs. The Curtis Wrights, Wind Rivers, Xilinxes and Mentors of the world charge big bucks for their products and a goodly amount for support.... Support which only works for a certain range of o/s platforms and versions. Right now, RHEL 6.x is the 800lb gorilla in this world and you forget to mention that you might be running things on Centos instead when you make that support phone call.

That being said, I have yet to see any of these vendors go to rhel 7.x. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years as the systemd trainwreck continues to unfold.

The trouble with RHEL/Centos is that the versions of too many things are stuck back too far. 6.x is still stuck on Python 2.6. 7.x is stuck on Python 2.7.5. Python 3.x is nowhere in sight unless you build it yourself. 6.x toolchain is back on gcc 4.4.x and thus you are unable to work with C++11 standards unless you either build your own from source of go with "technology preview" flavor rpm's which will probably invalidate your support contracts with your third party vendors.

RHEL/Centos is very Gnome/gtk centric to the detriment of QT fans. Even 7.x still has some ancient version of qt 3.3 out there for some bizarre reason. What you do get for QT4 and PyQt4 is laid out in a crazy fashion. QT5 and PyQt5 are nowhere to be found. KDE is stuck back on an older 4.x (4.10 iirc for 7.x) and they have conveniently left out kdm for those of us who would rather kick the gnome 3 version of gdm to the curb for being too stupid, err, "streamlined".

They haven't even cracked into kernel 4 for 7.x yet. If you take a look at the ceph users mailing list (a product that Redhat owns), you will probably see more servers based on Ubuntu than rhel/centos. These folk probably don't want to resort to FUSE to mount their CephFS filesystems because the kernel code is too old to support newer versions of Ceph. Also the latest versions of ceph (newer than Hammer) require 7.x and systemd support on centos/rhel. There's been a fair amount of heartburn with the systemd support in Infernalis and now Jewel because of problems with the services files and ceph-deploy.
tlhonmey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got about 12 Gentoo machines I manage for people, and the amount of maintenance can be quite low.

Set up a cron job to notify you of the output of glsa-check daily. That way you know when there are critical security issues that need addressing. For most of mine I don't even worry about anything else.

If the system gets its dependencies in a a bunch and won't update, I've found that the majority of the time it only needs either to be told which half of the circular dependency to do first (which is pretty easy to pick out once you wrap your head around the syntax the report uses) or some of the core system stuff is way out of date (in which case you unpack the latest stage3 into a chroot and use quickpkg to make binpackages of everything that's having an issue. Stuff them into your $PKGDIR and tell emerge to use binpackages if available and the conflicts often evaporate.)

My maintenance time for all 12 machines generally comes in at one or two hours a month. Occasionally there's some dependency snarl that takes a little while to untangle, but if you don't have big, complex desktop environments and other horribly hairy things on the system, dependencies tend to be quite simple and straightforward. (The one exception is Perl, and there are whole threads on this forum dedicated to how where to hit it with the meat cleaver to make it behave itself.)

Basically, with Gentoo, you'll have regular, minor update issues that are easy to fix. With most binary distros you'll have one issue every year or two, but they'll require a lot of work to sort out and/or a reinstall. Take your pick of whichever model suits your needs the best.
Zucca

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew... I'm now glad I chose Gentoo on my server. I was, at first, considering CentOS. But if it isn't made flexible I'm glad I didn't chose it. Although CentOS should be very stable assuming you "follow the rules".

For a general server you might also look at NetBSD or FreeBSD. Maybe OpenBSD too... but with it, get used to explicitly allow every action you want to make. That's what I've heard. So no. I have no Experience with OpenBSD. I've used FreeBSD shortly and may use it again to revive my old laptop.

Anyway I'm not encouraging the use of BSDs, but rather as an option for you to look and see if they fit for your needs.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
kohina
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:
Tony0945 wrote:
tld wrote:
My company delivers our product as a VM appliance currently on CentOS 6. I have no clue what we'd replace it with. Hopefully by the time support ends for CentOS 6 some sanity will have descended onto the situation...one can only hope.
Arch Linux? A custom Gentoo binary install? The latter would give your company maximum control and probably discourage client tinkering
Personally I'd probably be fine with several different options. However you'd be surprised how many big customers only even allow Redhat, and more or less begrudgingly allow Cent because it's more or less RH. It really sucks how systemd has just thrown a wrench into the server landscape. I have to wonder what will happen with RH and Cent 6 start getting close to EOL though. I have to think there are at least some pretty big players who don't want to go the systemd route...like those who realize how insane it is for a server.
Although it's the worst...it's far from the only thing Redhat's done that flies in the face of what a server should be. One of the first things you have to do on RHEL and CentOS 6 is to replace cronie-anacron with cronie-noanacron so your cron jubs can actually be scheduled for specific times. What the hell were they thinking with that one??

I've heard the SystemD ramble countless times but I've never really found anyone willing to give me the reasoning behind it. Personally I don't use systemd because I'm too lazy to deal with the 90s timeouts with old configs etc.
You say systemd is insane for a server, can you give me some reasons? I'm curious.
I was once surrounded by beautiful gentoo boxen but they've all withered away due to portagetic arrest (death resulting from portage failure). The atom, the core2duo, the athlon... may these brave souls find peace in the afterlife.
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kohina wrote:

I've heard the SystemD ramble countless times but I've never really found anyone willing to give me the reasoning behind it. Personally I don't use systemd because I'm too lazy to deal with the 90s timeouts with old configs etc.
You say systemd is insane for a server, can you give me some reasons? I'm curious.

Here is to get you started:

Broken by design: systemd
http://ewontfix.com/14/
Systemd has 6 service startup notification types, and they're all wrong
http://ewontfix.com/15/
http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Local_copy_of_boycottsystemd.org_archive
http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
http://without-systemd.org/

See also the various "politics of systemd" threads here.
kohina
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

augustin wrote:
kohina wrote:

Here is to get you started:

Broken by design: systemd
http://ewontfix.com/14/
Systemd has 6 service startup notification types, and they're all wrong
http://ewontfix.com/15/
http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Local_copy_of_boycottsystemd.org_archive
http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
http://without-systemd.org/

See also the various "politics of systemd" threads here.

Thanks.
I was once surrounded by beautiful gentoo boxen but they've all withered away due to portagetic arrest (death resulting from portage failure). The atom, the core2duo, the athlon... may these brave souls find peace in the afterlife.
Amity88
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kohina wrote:

There are a couple of threads in this forums as well, if you are looking for people giving their reasonings:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1031982.html

I've come across may posts outside of these forums where people disparage the argument for having small modular components, or in other words "the Unix way". People fail to realize the technical merits of this philosophy. Simple, modular designs would be easier to debug and test. Bugs would be more visible and easier to weed out. The attack surface would be smaller. Here with SystemD, you have an unnecessarily complex design running in a critical space (PID 1). Having a built in http server makes it even worse, it's asking for trouble. Have a read through 'Hardening Linux' by James Turnbul if you want to get a better idea of why all these are a bad idea.

It started as an init replacement, which was somewhat okay but it's real objective as can be seen is to take over the role of all the processes that interfaces the applications to the kernel. The designers aren't stupid, which makes me think that the real goal of that project is to work around the GPL protection and do a vendor lock-in. I've come across may programmers complain about the lack of documentation and the huge ever changing code. So, yes the source code is available but it is stil hard to port and create alternatives.

Finally, there is the thing about what I see as political arm twisting. One of the stated long standing merits of Linux over windows is choice and modularity, you can customise the whole system as you see fit rather than have a monolith with zero visibility. Yet I see distros like Debian adopt it like it's the next greatest thing since sliced bread. The SysD developers also actively try to make it a hard dependency of user space applications like Gnome... I see that as actively trying to prevent choices.

Also... Be ignorant... Be happy! :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: