Terminal wont start anymore
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michael371
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Terminal wont start anymore Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm running a hardened gentoo system with gnome and systemd. (nothing against Openrc, but i need systemd for expirimenting with wayland)

A few days ago gnome-terminal stopped working, it simply refuses to start. I tried xterm and termux too but with no succes. Termux behaves the same as gnome terminal and xterm opens a window but is useless after that. There is no prompt and the window wont close anymore.

I did some research on the web, and i found out that the problem is not a missing locale.conf.

Normaly i would try to diagnose such a problem by starting it from the command line, wich i obviously cant do now. :p

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Regards,

Michael
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Gentoo forum!

I hate to contradict you, but in fact you do have a terminal available. Press ctrl+alt+F1 to access a terminal and log in. Try running one of your misbehaving terminals. Use alt+F7 (most likely) to return to your X session.

You may also find useful output in your messages. that would be F12 instead of F1 or F7.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
michael371
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
Welcome to the Gentoo forum!

I hate to contradict you, but in fact you do have a terminal available. Press ctrl+alt+F1 to access a terminal and log in. Try running one of your misbehaving terminals. Use alt+F7 (most likely) to return to your X session.

You may also find useful output in your messages. that would be F12 instead of F1 or F7.

Thanks a lot for your quick reply!

Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Of course i can start a virtual terminal, thats how i installed termux and xterm :)

I already tried to find anything usefull in /var/log/messages with te tail command, but could not find anything usefull there.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried using revdep-rebuild from the gentoolkit? Have you checked /var/log/emerge.log to see what you installed when the terminal broke?

I've seen similar behavior with a broken library during an update. I would expect an emerge -e xterm would fix the broken package, but that is rather extreme.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
michael371
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
Have you tried using revdep-rebuild from the gentoolkit? Have you checked /var/log/emerge.log to see what you installed when the terminal broke?

I've seen similar behavior with a broken library during an update. I would expect an emerge -e xterm would fix the broken package, but that is rather extreme.

I tried to recompile gnome terminal with "emerge -1 gnome-terminal" and the output of the command did not gave any errors back.

Unfortunatly i am at my work right now. When i get home i'll try "revdep-rebuild" and "emerge -e" on all the terminals.

I'll let you know the results.

Thanks again.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it for all terminals. emerge -e is the empty tree option and is going to literally rebuild everything the terminal depends on, including gcc for a total of about 153 packages.

Since the problem is common to all terminals doing so for one terminal should be more than adequate. This is literally a sledge hammer approach to the problem. It will most likely drive in your nail but it is going to hit a lot of extra territory in the process.

michael371
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
Don't do it for all terminals. emerge -e is the empty tree option and is going to literally rebuild everything the terminal depends on, including gcc for a total of about 153 packages.

Since the problem is common to all terminals doing so for one terminal should be more than adequate. This is literally a sledge hammer approach to the problem. It will most likely drive in your nail but it is going to hit a lot of extra territory in the process.

Ok, i'll try that whem i'm back home. But i did a "emerge -e world" after i installed my system a week ago, so i doubt it wil help. I'll try anyway to be sure :)
michael371
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, revdep-rebuild didn't solve the problem. i'm doing "emerge -e xterm" right now.
I'll update when it's finished.
michael371
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately "emerge -e" didn't solve the problem.

Any ideas how to diagnose this problem?
dantrell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michael371 wrote:
Unfortunately "emerge -e" didn't solve the problem.

Any ideas how to diagnose this problem?

The Doctor actually told you the answer:

1. Switch to an empty workspace

2. Press CTRL+ALT+F1

3. Run one or both of the following:

Code:
DISPLAY=:0 gnome-terminal
DISPLAY=:0 xterm

4. Press ALT+F7

That said, are you sure you don't have a locale problem?
michael371
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok , i didn't know you could start a X11 application trough a virtual terminal. Something learned again.

When i tried to start xterm with :

Code:
DISPLAY=:0 xterm

i recieved the following error:

Code:
xterm: Error 18, errno 13: Permission denied
Reason: spawn: open() failed on ptsname

Which pointed me in the direction of the mount options for /dev/pts.

I accidentally set the nodev (together with nosuid) option for /dev/pts, where i meant to set it for /var/tmp/portage. (which is a tmpfs on my system)

My own stupidity caused this problem :(

Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: