Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Terminal wont start anymore
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
michael371
n00b
n00b


Joined: 17 May 2016
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Terminal wont start anymore Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm running a hardened gentoo system with gnome and systemd. (nothing against Openrc, but i need systemd for expirimenting with wayland)

A few days ago gnome-terminal stopped working, it simply refuses to start. I tried xterm and termux too but with no succes. Termux behaves the same as gnome terminal and xterm opens a window but is useless after that. There is no prompt and the window wont close anymore.

I did some research on the web, and i found out that the problem is not a missing locale.conf.

Normaly i would try to diagnose such a problem by starting it from the command line, wich i obviously cant do now. :p

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Regards,

Michael
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Doctor
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 27 Jul 2010
Posts: 2546

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Gentoo forum!

I hate to contradict you, but in fact you do have a terminal available. Press ctrl+alt+F1 to access a terminal and log in. Try running one of your misbehaving terminals. Use alt+F7 (most likely) to return to your X session.

You may also find useful output in your messages. that would be F12 instead of F1 or F7.
_________________
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
michael371
n00b
n00b


Joined: 17 May 2016
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
Welcome to the Gentoo forum!

I hate to contradict you, but in fact you do have a terminal available. Press ctrl+alt+F1 to access a terminal and log in. Try running one of your misbehaving terminals. Use alt+F7 (most likely) to return to your X session.

You may also find useful output in your messages. that would be F12 instead of F1 or F7.


Thanks a lot for your quick reply!

Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Of course i can start a virtual terminal, thats how i installed termux and xterm :)

I already tried to find anything usefull in /var/log/messages with te tail command, but could not find anything usefull there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Doctor
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 27 Jul 2010
Posts: 2546

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried using revdep-rebuild from the gentoolkit? Have you checked /var/log/emerge.log to see what you installed when the terminal broke?

I've seen similar behavior with a broken library during an update. I would expect an emerge -e xterm would fix the broken package, but that is rather extreme.
_________________
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
michael371
n00b
n00b


Joined: 17 May 2016
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
Have you tried using revdep-rebuild from the gentoolkit? Have you checked /var/log/emerge.log to see what you installed when the terminal broke?

I've seen similar behavior with a broken library during an update. I would expect an emerge -e xterm would fix the broken package, but that is rather extreme.


I tried to recompile gnome terminal with "emerge -1 gnome-terminal" and the output of the command did not gave any errors back.

Unfortunatly i am at my work right now. When i get home i'll try "revdep-rebuild" and "emerge -e" on all the terminals.

I'll let you know the results.

Thanks again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Doctor
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 27 Jul 2010
Posts: 2546

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it for all terminals. emerge -e is the empty tree option and is going to literally rebuild everything the terminal depends on, including gcc for a total of about 153 packages.

Since the problem is common to all terminals doing so for one terminal should be more than adequate. This is literally a sledge hammer approach to the problem. It will most likely drive in your nail but it is going to hit a lot of extra territory in the process.
_________________
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
michael371
n00b
n00b


Joined: 17 May 2016
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
Don't do it for all terminals. emerge -e is the empty tree option and is going to literally rebuild everything the terminal depends on, including gcc for a total of about 153 packages.

Since the problem is common to all terminals doing so for one terminal should be more than adequate. This is literally a sledge hammer approach to the problem. It will most likely drive in your nail but it is going to hit a lot of extra territory in the process.


Ok, i'll try that whem i'm back home. But i did a "emerge -e world" after i installed my system a week ago, so i doubt it wil help. I'll try anyway to be sure :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
michael371
n00b
n00b


Joined: 17 May 2016
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, revdep-rebuild didn't solve the problem. i'm doing "emerge -e xterm" right now.
I'll update when it's finished.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
michael371
n00b
n00b


Joined: 17 May 2016
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately "emerge -e" didn't solve the problem.

Any ideas how to diagnose this problem?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dantrell
Guru
Guru


Joined: 01 Jun 2007
Posts: 528
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michael371 wrote:
Unfortunately "emerge -e" didn't solve the problem.

Any ideas how to diagnose this problem?

The Doctor actually told you the answer:

1. Switch to an empty workspace

2. Press CTRL+ALT+F1

3. Run one or both of the following:

Code:
DISPLAY=:0 gnome-terminal
DISPLAY=:0 xterm

4. Press ALT+F7

That said, are you sure you don't have a locale problem?
_________________
Dantrell B.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
michael371
n00b
n00b


Joined: 17 May 2016
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok , i didn't know you could start a X11 application trough a virtual terminal. Something learned again.

When i tried to start xterm with :

Code:
DISPLAY=:0 xterm


i recieved the following error:

Code:
xterm: Error 18, errno 13: Permission denied
Reason: spawn: open() failed on ptsname


Which pointed me in the direction of the mount options for /dev/pts.

I accidentally set the nodev (together with nosuid) option for /dev/pts, where i meant to set it for /var/tmp/portage. (which is a tmpfs on my system)

My own stupidity caused this problem :(

Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum