CIFS denies access to group
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skiwarz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: CIFS denies access to group Reply with quote

I'm using samba 4.2.11 on my client machine. Attempting to mount a Windows CIFS share. I made a new group called "nmounts" and added "root" and "user1" to it. Now what I'd like to do is mount the share at boot using an fstab entry and make the entire share writeable by all members of "nmounts". My /etc/fstab looks like this:
Code:
//192.168.0.12/myfiles   /mnt/n   cifs   noauto,users,gid=nmounts,rw,username=john,file_mode=0770,dir_mode=0770   0 0

Now when I mount this share, all the contents have the correct permissions (770), and correct uid and gid (root nmounts). However, I am unable to access the share as user1. If I change the permissions to 777 or I set uid=user1, I'm able to access it. But it seems like mount.cifs is completely ignoring group memberships.
Am I doing something wrong?

edit: I've also tried adding the options "nounix" "user" "users" and "group" to varying degrees, all of which produce the same result. Adding "noperm", of course, allows complete access.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: