dual boot w7/gentoo grub2 uefi
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blubberbaer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: dual boot w7/gentoo grub2 uefi Reply with quote

Dear all,

once upon a time i was able to set up a dual boot system with mbr, cause it was somehow understandable for me. Now I'm totally confused with this "new" uefi stuff.
I've followed the gentoo handbook to install gentoo on an uefi system. My partition layout is looking like this

Code:

Model: ATA Crucial_CT1024MX (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name    Flags
 1      1049kB  3146kB  2097kB  ext2            grub    bios_grub
 2      3146kB  134MB   131MB   fat32           boot    boot, esp
 3      134MB   18,1GB  18,0GB  linux-swap(v1)  swap
 4      18,1GB  661GB   643GB   ext4            rootfs
 5      661GB   876GB   215GB   ntfs            win

Unfortunately I was a bit hasty and didn't install windows 7 pro before installing gentoo and now I don't dare to install windows 7, since I'm not able to find some easy readable instructions for a noob like me.

This manual

[url]
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/UEFI_Dual_boot_with_Windows_7/8
[/url]

mentions, its better to install windows 7 first. Now I'm lost cause I don't wont to risk killing gentoo and finally end up with an unbootable system. Work forces me to use windows from time to time and even though I've spent some hours searching to find some instructions doing the installation in the possibly wrong order, I don't feel well to do it ....

I want to install w7 into the fifth partition, knowing that after that I can't boot gentoo any more ....

How do I recover the grub boot menu after the installation if i am on a uefi system ?

Any help is very much appreciated....... ;-)

Greetings

blubberbaer
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few hours and no one with a clear idea, so I'll throw out my 2 cents.

I wouldn't. I would backup the Gentoo install onto an external HD or other media, install Windows 7, and then restore Gentoo. I would also say that no matter what you do, backing up Gentoo is not optional.

No matter how you do it, windows will clobber you boot loader. You will have to restore it from your rescue media, which may also be more familiar as your install media. Just follow the steps to chroot then you can fix your boot loader. This is really a non-issue.

Quote:
Work forces me to use windows from time to time and even though I've spent some hours searching to find some instructions doing the installation in the possibly wrong order, I don't feel well to do it ....
Same, and I still have a few games that won't accept wine.

There is a third door here that you may not have considered. Depending on how powerful your machine is and how heavy your company software is you might consider simply running widows 7 as a virtual machine under Gentoo. I've got a fairly strong machine with 16 Gig of Ram and an i7. Windows 7 runs smooth as silk.

Just some food for thought.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: