initramfs & mdadm RAID 1 - Quick Question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midnite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: initramfs & mdadm RAID 1 - Quick Question Reply with quote

First thing first - I am installing a Gentoo NAS with RAID 1. I wish to mirror (RAID 1) everything, including the OS, boot partition, etc. So in case any disk goes wrong, I have totally nothing lost (except the disk :lol: ).

The quick question - If I use initramfs to startup the system, then it loads the mirrored (RAID 1) boot partition, I can actually use any partition type, e.g. Linux (83) ext3, is this correct?

Below is what I understand so far. It might be wrong. Please correct me (and try to make it simple).

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Complete_Handbook/Software_RAID#Boot_Using_GRUB_2.x wrote:
When using GRUB 2.x and the root file system is located on a software RAID, add the domdadm parameter to the Kernel parameters in /etc/default/grub

As it says, my ROOT partition is using RAID. So I have to add GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="domdadm" into my bootloader configure file /etc/default/grub.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_installation_tips_and_tricks#Software_RAID wrote:
When you partition your disks, make sure that your partitions use fd (Linux raid autodetect) as Partition Type instead of 83 (Linux native). You can alter the partition type using the t command in fdisk.

Here says I must choose fd (Linux raid autodetect) in fdisk.

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID_Boot wrote:
Historically, when the kernel booted, it used a mechanism called 'autodetect' to identify partitions which are used in RAID arrays: it assumed that all partitions of type 0xfd are so used. It then attempted to automatically assemble and start these arrays.

This approach can cause problems in several situations (imagine moving part of an old array onto another machine before wiping and repurposing it: reboot and watch in horror as the piece of dead array gets assembled as part of the running RAID array, ruining it); kernel autodetect is correspondingly deprecated.

The recommended approach now is to use the initramfs system.

Here says fd (Linux raid autodetect) is no good. It may cause serious problems!! - When I put one of my RAID disks into another PC, it may try to "fix" them, sync them, means erasing data in one of them. Does it mean this problem?

So, 0xfd (Linux raid autodetect) or not? They are contradicting. I believe that initramfs is a solution to 0xfd. So I will definitely use initramfs. But, back to my quick question, when I am going to use initramfs, what partition type should I choose?

In fact, I am currently at the stage of Creating the boot partition.

Later on, after I config my actual kernal, and I need to prepare the initramfs, I will follow these two manuals:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Custom_Initramfs
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Initramfs/Guide
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

midnite,

mdadm raid has gone through several versions. You will find several versions of raid metadata in use, mostly versions 0.9 and 1.2.
The default today is 1.2 but mdadm can create raid sets with version 0.9 metadata if you want to.
Code:

$ sudo mdadm -E /dev/sda1
Password:
/dev/sda1:
          Magic : a92b4efc
        Version : 0.90.00

With metadata version 0.9, the kernel can auto assemble raid sets, if the partitions are type 0xfd, without any help from mdadm.
You set the kernel option. However, raid autoassembly is depreciated.
Because raid autoassembly is depreciated, the kernel has not kept up and it cannot autoassemble raid sets with metadata version >0.9, even if you set the partition type to 0xfd.

mdadm will be in your initrd. It does not care about partition types. Grub cannot use mdadm nor the kernel to read the boot files, it has to make its own arrangements.

In short, both your references are correct but not at the same time.

With grub2 and raid sets with metadata version 1.2, the partition type does not matter.
With grub-legacy, you must use raid metadata version 0.9 on /boot as grub-legacy ignores the raid structure altogether.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
midnite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon, Thanks very much! I understand now.

One more quick question. I may need to resize my RAID 1 partitions later. I basically follow this manual. It seems that mdadm can change the partition size while the system is running. So I do not need to install LVM. Is this correct?

(If I have to, I do not mind boot from SystemRescueCd and resize. But it seems for RAID partitions, resize while the RAID system (mdadm) is running makes more senses.)
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could say you don't have to, but LVM provides high level interface to your storage. It allows you to cut your storage space to pieces and mix and match without thinking about physical mapping.
You probably could achieve something similar with MD, but it's the hard way to storage management. Either get LVM or plan your partitions in such way you will not have to change it later.
If you get it wrong, you will have to migrate, and at this point you're constrained by the size of data you accumulated and don't want to lose. The performance hit from putting MD instead of/without DM is not worth the trouble.
Bare MD with metadata 0.9 is good for /boot, as it will let you boot with tools that are not raid aware. For the rest, LVM is just too good not to take it - unless you know you will not change partitions later. (e.g. you will _NOT_ change your /boot partition)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

midnite,

mdadm can reshape raid sets and convert then from one raid level to another but it cannot resize partitions.
It can also add block devices to an existing raid set so it appears to gain more space.

LVM can do all of these things and move space around between logical volumes too.
If you are going to pick either mdadm or LVM, use LVM. Personally, I have LVM on top of mdadm raid.

LVM hint: Shrinking a filesystem is both a pain and risky.
Use LVM and allocate a reasonable amount of space to your logical volumes but don't allocate it all.
Code:
When you fill a logical volume, its two commands to extend it into unallocated space.   
 lvdisplay
 --- Logical volume ---
  LV Path                /dev/vg/distfiles
  LV Name                distfiles
  VG Name                vg
  LV UUID                9kooid-V9xw-nQxX-nWfc-1sN8-BnmL-Nl9GNT
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Creation host, time ,
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                120.00 GiB
  Current LE             30720
  Segments               4
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     auto
  - currently set to     768
  Block device           253:6
 pvdisplay
  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/md127
  VG Name               vg
  PV Size               2.71 TiB / not usable 3.62 MiB
  Allocatable           yes
  PE Size               4.00 MiB
  Total PE              711140
  Free PE               223588
  Allocated PE          487552
  PV UUID               7b2KgY-NHef-kuNk-WBAp-VnLa-h03A-b4ehGy

The logical volume /dev/vg/distfiles contains Segments 4, so I've extended it three times rather than throw away distfiles.
The physical volume /dev/vg/distfiles lives on shows
Code:
  Total PE              711140
  Free PE               223588
  Allocated PE          487552
so only 2/3 of the available space is allocated.

/dev/md127 is a 4 spindle raid 5 set.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: