making visible the locale for cinnamon under gdm and systemd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piotr5
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: making visible the locale for cinnamon under gdm and systemd Reply with quote

is there any news on how to enable locale in cinnamon in regard to my previous attempt? on my side, I tried setting DefaultEnvironment in /etc/systemd/user.conf to reflect the contents of /etc/locale.conf but it didn't help. in order to start gnome-terminal I still needed dbus-launch before the command. (as I learned somewhere gdm has stopped starting dbus-launch because now systemd is fully responsible of serving whatever dbus-requests. and of course systemd comes with no environment variables whatsoever, thereby it cannot know the contents of locale.conf)

and I repeat my working solution:
I modified the file /usr/bin/cinnamon-session-cinnamon into
Code:
exec dbus-launch cinnamon-session --session cinnamon "$@"
this definitely fixes all problems I had, now all programs work as they should, in the correct language and everything. however, don't really understand, but somewhere I've read systemd will refuse to service dbus if it's launched that way. can there be problems in future with my setup?
anybody knows a better solution?

what I have not tried is to install gentoo anew and run with defaults to see if gnome-terminal will work that way. I haven't even tried to disable auto-login...

also I should mention, locale.conf contains only a single line:
Code:
LANG=de_DE.utf8@euro
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: