Seeking an alternative way
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Seeking an alternative way Reply with quote

Hi, ALL,
I'm looking for a way to make my life as a developer easier. ;-)

I have 2 machines currently. One is running KDE4 which was recently being updated and it's using gcc-5.2, which I'm planning to upgrade to 5.3 in the next couple of days.

The other one have GNOME 2 and it is very outdated. I'm trying to slowly bring it back up-to-date with GNOME3.

Here is the problem.

GNOME3 official package depends on system and everywhere I go on this forum people says that system sucks. It is possible to stay with OpenRC and GNOME3, however this looks un-natural to me as its almost like diverting from the official way of doing things.

I would do all of my dev work on the second machine with KDE, but 1) the default GTK3 theme for KDE does not support any icons (I don't see any on the buttons on the GTK apps) and 2) I can't install Qt4 and Qt5 in parallel.

What would be the fastest and easiest course of actions?
I will bring the second machine up-to-date system-wise anyway, but maybe there is another DM which can run and support both GTK+2 and GTK+3 without any issues? Or maybe there is a better GTK+3 theme for KDE4 that do support icons? Or there is a 3rd alternative? Or maybe system is already good enough so that all people should just go and switch to it blindly?

I understand that this post is very vague, but I'd like to hear different opinions on the fastest/easiest actions to do.

Thank you in advance.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking an alternative way Reply with quote

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
2) I can't install Qt4 and Qt5 in parallel.

Why not? Everyone else does.
szatox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1) the default GTK3 theme for KDE does not support any icons (I don't see any on the buttons on the GTK apps)
Really? It happened to me a few times that icons were missing, but rebuilding a package or two would usually fixed that. No idea where did that glitch comes from though.
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm,
Wouldn't qt5 remove qt4? Will there be any conflicts between them?

Thank you.

P.S.: Also, what about GTK+3 theme?
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox,
I'm developing under wxWidgets/GTK+{2|3}.
With GTK+2 everything works. With GTK+3, I don't see any icons. And I'm using GTK+ code to test - no wx specific one.

Thank you.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
genstorm,
Wouldn't qt5 remove qt4? Will there be any conflicts between them?

There are no conflicts, in fact both are needed by KDE Applications releases. Qt5 is installed into a new slot besides Qt4.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking an alternative way Reply with quote

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
GNOME3 official package depends on system and everywhere I go on this forum people says that system sucks. It is possible to stay with OpenRC and GNOME3, however this looks un-natural to me as its almost like diverting from the official way of doing things.

ONEEYEMAN ... you probably mean "systemd", there is a thread on the subject: GNOME Without Systemd.

ONEEYEMAN wrote:

Well, you could have saved a lot of time if you'd opted for a clean install (on the outdated machine), rather than attempt to do incrimental updates, resolving blocks at each stage, etc.

best ... khay
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking an alternative way Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:

ONEEYEMAN wrote:

ONEEYEMAN ... you probably mean "systemd", there is a thread on the subject: GNOME Without Systemd.

Yes, sorry. Apparently my fingers are not that fat anymore. ;-)
I checked the thread you referenced and it does look like the patchset referenced there is like an official tree. I may go this route.

khayyam wrote:

ONEEYEMAN wrote:

Well, you could have saved a lot of time if you'd opted for a clean install (on the outdated machine), rather than attempt to do incrimental updates, resolving blocks at each stage, etc.

best ... khay

Yes, but then it wouldn't be fun and the learning curve is great.

Thank you.
C5ace
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I occasionally use CodeBlocks and Anjuta on Xfce4. This supports Gtk2, Gtk3 and Qt4 and Qt5.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: