[solved] Firefox Shows Black Boxes Instead of Some Images
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jagdpanther
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: [solved] Firefox Shows Black Boxes Instead of Some Images Reply with quote

I am using firefox-45.0.1:
Installed versions: 45.0.1 use flags: dbus ffmpeg gmp-autoupdate gstreamer hwaccel jemalloc3 jit

Firefox shows certain images or objects as black squares. To rule out any plugins or addons or configuration causing this issue I created a new unix account and started up firefox as the new user. On one of the Mozilla default pages the shield with a purple mask on it is a big black square: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/private-browsing/ (I also launched seamonkey browser which showed the missing content.)

I then added the Calomel SSL validation add-on. When I click the shield icon the resulting drop-down window is also a black square.

Any idea on how to fix or troubleshoot this issue? Am I missing some use flag?

(I have seen reports like https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/776670 where users had issues with playing movies, but my issue is different.)

Last edited by jagdpanther on Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Syl20
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should try to reemerge firefox without the hwaccel USE flag. Depending on the graphic driver you use, that might cause the problems you noticed.
jagdpanther
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You should try to reemerge firefox without the hwaccel USE flag. Depending on the graphic driver you use, that might cause the problems you noticed.

Ok, I'll try re emerging firefox without hwaccel. (I am currently using nvidia-drivers-361.28.) I'll post tomorrow with the results.

(The strange thing is that on my other Gentoo system I also use firefox with the same use flags and same nvidia-driver, but a different Nvidia graphics card, and never see this issue.)
jagdpanther
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: solved Reply with quote

It was the the hardware acceleration. However, I did NOT have to re-emerge firefox. In Firefox: Preferences -> Advanced -> General there is a checkbox (Firefox 45.0.1) for hardware acceleration. I unchecked that box, restarted firefox, and the blackbox issue went away.

On my two Gentoo systems both using Firefox-45.0.1 and nvidia-drivers-361.28:

Nvidia Quadro K2200 card has the issue with black boxes when using firefox hardware acceleration.
Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 card does NOT have the issue with black boxes and is using firefox hardware acceleration.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jagdpanther wrote:
Ok, I'll try re emerging firefox without hwaccel. (I am currently using nvidia-drivers-361.28.) I'll post tomorrow with the results.

(The strange thing is that on my other Gentoo system I also use firefox with the same use flags and same nvidia-driver, but a different Nvidia graphics card, and never see this issue.)

The root cause is that nvidia-drivers doesn't know how to manage graphics memory when it runs low. This bug's been in the driver for ten years (and known about for that long - it ruined Compiz for most people back then); don't count on getting it fixed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: