Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] Grub "error: disk `' not found" with NVME disk.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danilo2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:56 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Grub "error: disk `' not found" with NVME Reply with quote

Hello!

DESCRIPTION

I've been installing gentoo today on a Dell Precision 7710 using uefi, NO secure boot, GPT, sysrescuecd, genkernel and systemd. I was following VERY carefully the instructions:

With a great help of @sbraz and @Rhorse via the IRC, few problems were found - first the Gentoo installation manual is misleading in few places and second - a problem while booting the system occurs:

Quote:
Welcome to grub.
Error: disk `' not found

followed by the rescue prompt.

If the following points are errors in the documentation, I would love to fix / clarify them to make it clear for new users. But firstly I want to resolve all the issues to be sure what is really happening here.

ERRORS IN THE MANUAL

Let's start with the misleading parts of the handbook:

• The GPT guide mentions that we have to create four primary partitions: 1-bios_grub, 2-boot, 3-swap, 4-rootfs. There is a small note on an UEFI installation, that the boot flag will show up on the boot partition. The question is - should the first partition be created when using UEFI? If not, then the manual is misleading here, because it not only doesnt mention it, but it has a screenshot of these partitions just above note about UEFI.
  • There is a note about EFI, that we should use the 32-bit vfat file system on it using the `mkfs.vfat /dev/sda2` command - the problem is that this command (without option `-F 32`) creates a 16 bit fat file system.
  • there should be a note on the names of NVME drives - instead of `/dev/sda*` they are named `/dev/nvme0n1p*`

THE PROBLEM THAT OCCURS

And now the problems I was occurring. The first one was that I was getting black screen after starting the laptop - without entering the grub. The reason was that I've used the `mkfs.vfat` command and created a 16-bit fat file system on the boot partition. I backuped all the files from /boot, re-created the 32-bit fat file system, copied the files back, re-installed and re-configured grub. I've also added manual UEFI boot option using bios (it's called bios on the dell laptops, althought it manages uefi ...), by selecting the GPT disk partition from the drop-down menu and selecting the `/boot/EFI/gentoo/grubx64.efi` file from within a file chooser in bios. After that the grub started to execute while booting (with the error pasted above).
I would love to ask you for help fixing this issue! :)

Here are some configs of mine:

Code:
# parted /dev/nvme0n1 print

Model: Unknown (unknown)
Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 512GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name    Flags
 1      1049kB  3146kB  2097kB  fat32           grub    bios_grub
 2      3146kB  137MB   134MB   fat32           boot    boot, esp
 3      137MB   68.9GB  68.7GB  linux-swap(v1)  swap
 4      68.9GB  512GB   443GB   ext4            rootfs

Code:
# cat /etc/fstab

/dev/nvme0n1p2    /boot   vfat   noauto,noatime   1 2
/dev/nvme0n1p4    /       ext4   noatime,discard  0 1
/dev/nvme0n1p3    none    swap   sw               0 0

+ there were no problems when executing grub installation and config generation.

I would be very thankful for any help regarding this topic!

All the best,
Wojciech

Last edited by danilo2 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
danilo2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to an awesome help of @Kelsar via IRC the issue was solved. It was caused by too old grub - in fact we had to unmask the newest 9999 grub to make it working. The reason behind is that the current stable grub doesnt support NVME disks (SSDs connected directly to PCIe). After emerging new grup, and re-installing it, everything started to work out ouf the box! :)
Rossy65
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: My solution was to use UEFI (no grub) Reply with quote

I gave up as unmasking to get the newer grub for my 4.4.6 kernel was a bit more work than I wanted to do.
This link helped me get my ASROCK MB to boot using EFI only. I found I had to use PARTUUID as the argument passed to the kernel (builtin command) /dev/nvme0n1p3 would cause kernel panic.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7965444.html#7965444

I'm hoping these breadcrumbs help others. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: