Tons of baloo_file_extr processes and Maximum number of clie
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mani001
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Tons of baloo_file_extr processes and Maximum number of clie Reply with quote

Hi,

since I updated to Plasma 5, I'm having problems with baloo, and the funny thing is that it is disabled in Plasma settings :?

Anyway, my problem is that, after Plasma has been running for a while, I'm not able to start GUI programs anymore, e.g. "kwrite"
Code:

Maximum number of clients reachedkwrite: cannot connect to X server :0

and if I do ps -A to check the running processes I find that there are a lot of baloo_file_extr processes. In fact,
Code:

manu@xxx ~ $pgrep baloo_file_extr | wc
    164     164     984

Anyone else hit by this?

For the time being, my "fix" is
Code:

pgrep baloo_file_extr | xargs kill -9

elegant huh? :roll:

Cheers!!
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, unfortunately I see a lot of bugs which could be related:

https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=baloo_file_extr&list_id=1351569

It's working fine for me though (~amd64, kde-overlay, no keyword unmasking, Plasma 5.6.3, Apps 16.04, Frameworks 5.21 -- full kde meta apps install).

In the past I did run into an issue with the maximum open file limit being reached and it acting strangely. As a shot in the dark you might check for that happening and investigate your open file limits.

There are some commands also you might want to try. To see a list do as a normal user:

Code:
balooctl help

For example:

Code:

balooctl stop
balooctl disable

I'm not familiar enough with the codebase to say whether this will stop the extractor processes though. It might just stop the file indexer.

Also I see a couple months ago another user reported the same problem:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/4499/how-can-i-diagnose-debug-maximum-number-of-clients-reached-x-errors

Likely it is segfaulting or something and left in a bad state which is causing the issues??
mani001
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried disabling baloo with those commands, but it didn't change anything.

I think this is a baloo/Plasma thing, so I don't want to tweak any X parameters (it was fine with KDE 4.14), so I think I'll just wait for the next Plasma update (it's annoying but not a showstopper). I'm right now in Plasma 5.5 (stable Gentoo), so hopefully this will go away when I am in Plasma 5.6 as you are now. Actually, right now baloo version is still at version 4.14.3 (quite confusing this mixture of versions :? ).

Thanks for your input, anyway.

Cheers!
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mani001 wrote:
I tried disabling baloo with those commands, but it didn't change anything.

I think this is a baloo/Plasma thing, so I don't want to tweak any X parameters (it was fine with KDE 4.14), so I think I'll just wait for the next Plasma update (it's annoying but not a showstopper). I'm right now in Plasma 5.5 (stable Gentoo), so hopefully this will go away when I am in Plasma 5.6 as you are now. Actually, right now baloo version is still at version 4.14.3 (quite confusing this mixture of versions :? ).

Thanks for your input, anyway.

Cheers!

Yes the different versions for baloo along with the varying behaviors and configuration options between versions make it a huge mess to support. Even the differences between qt5 versions of baloo can be pretty significant. I hope soon we get past all this.

One other thing I thought of:

Perhaps you can try linking (or replacing) the '/usr/bin/baloo_file_extractor' to '/bin/true' or such? While I can't say for sure what would happen it should in theory be safe enough as /bin/true does nothing. If you try it make sure to save the old executable though (although it should be simple enough to regenerate).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: