KDE5 slow and lagging after upgrade from KDE 4 [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagmat84
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: KDE5 slow and lagging after upgrade from KDE 4 [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hello,

I have two KDE 5 installation. The first and older one was a clean install on a new laptop some month ago, when KDE5 was still in the unstable branch. This installation is running smoothly and responsive. Yesterday, I decided to upgrade my KDE 4 installation to KDE 5 on my (productive) desktop PC, because of the message from the portage news system. I expected no problems due to my experiences from the experimental setup on my laptop. Although my desktop PC is much more powerful than my laptop in every respect, KDE 5 is slow and lagging. The UI randomly gets unresponsive for some seconds and then everything goes on.

For example, if I right click somewhere for the first time, everything pauses for 1-2 seconds until the context menu pops up. Same thing holds if I open a menu, an application, a dialog for the first time. After that the same item is very quick, if I repeat the same action. But if I do not use the same menu/.../... for some hours the same slack appears again.

I guess it has something to do with broken caches that still contain old and outdated items from the previous KDE 4 installation. But I might be wrong.

Any ideas what I could try out? At the moment working with my desktop PC is fun at all.

Thanks, Matthias

Last edited by nagmat84 on Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
mrbassie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same little issues but they seemed to just go away on their own after a couple of days. Do you use preload? That's what I put it down to on my machines, although it's purely a guess.
nagmat84
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is "preload" and how do I enable/disable it?
kharitonow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: KDE5/Plasma/KF5 slow and lagging after upgrade from KDE Reply with quote

nagmat84 wrote:
Hello,

I have two KDE 5 installation. The first and older one was a clean install on a new laptop some month ago, when KDE5 was still in the unstable branch. This installation is running smoothly and responsive. Yesterday, I decided to upgrade my KDE 4 installation to KDE 5 on my (productive) desktop PC, because of the message from the portage news system. I expected no problems due to my experiences from the experimental setup on my laptop. Although my desktop PC is much more powerful than my laptop in every respect, KDE 5 is slow and lagging. The UI randomly gets unresponsive for some seconds and then everything goes on.

For example, if I right click somewhere for the first time, everything pauses for 1-2 seconds until the context menu pops up. Same thing holds if I open a menu, an application, a dialog for the first time. After that the same item is very quick, if I repeat the same action. But if I do not use the same menu/.../... for some hours the same slack appears again.

I guess it has something to do with broken caches that still contain old and outdated items from the previous KDE 4 installation. But I might be wrong.

Any ideas what I could try out? At the moment working with my desktop PC is fun at all.

Thanks, Matthias

I had the same issue. The problem for me was in the baloo file indexer, which took the whole time of a processor core for indexing of my pretty big home folder. After switching it off I got pretty responsive system. Exactly the same issue like you have happens for me at the file deletion in dolphin but nowhere else more.
mrbassie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagmat84 wrote:
What is "preload" and how do I enable/disable it?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Preload

If you don't know what it is then you're not using it.
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE5/Plasma/KF5 slow and lagging after upgrade from KDE Reply with quote

kharitonow wrote:
nagmat84 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks, Matthias

I had the same issue. The problem for me was in the baloo file indexer, which took the whole time of a processor core for indexing of my pretty big home folder. After switching it off I got pretty responsive system. Exactly the same issue like you have happens for me at the file deletion in dolphin but nowhere else more.

Hi, it could be baloo. You are quite right. However they've worked quite a bit to try to make it less of a problem. What I believe happens is that when you switch to Plasma and the qt5 baloo it has to regenerate the index or otherwise scan the files on the filesystem.

If you want to use baloo then you can just be patient and probably overnight it will finish. If not you can use balooctl to control the file indexer by pausing or even stopping and disabling it:

Code:

$ balooctl help
Usage: balooctl [options] command status enable disable start stop restart suspend resume check index clear config

Options:
  -v, --version  Displays version information.
  -h, --help     Displays this help.

Arguments:
  command        The command to execute
  status         Print the status of the indexer
  enable         Enable the file indexer
  disable        Disable the file indexer
  start          Start the file indexer
  stop           Stop the file indexer
  restart        Restart the file indexer
  suspend        Suspend the file indexer
  resume         Resume the file indexer
  check          Check for any unindexed files and index them
  index          Index the specified files
  clear          Forget the specified files
  config         Modify the Baloo configuration

So to pause it do:

$balooctl suspend

To disable:

$balooctl disable

I guess I am an odd one though because I actually use baloo extensively and love it.

Btw if baloo is the issue it should show up in the system monitor utilities (top, etc) where it is using a lot of cpu. I wouldn't disable it unless it is a problem as it will limit some other functionality.
kharitonow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE5/Plasma/KF5 slow and lagging after upgrade from KDE Reply with quote

davidm wrote:
kharitonow wrote:
nagmat84 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks, Matthias

Hi, it could be baloo. You are quite right. However they've worked quite a bit to try to make it less of a problem. What I believe happens is that when you switch to Plasma and the qt5 baloo it has to regenerate the index or otherwise scan the files on the filesystem.

If you want to use baloo then you can just be patient and probably overnight it will finish. If not you can use balooctl to control the file indexer by pausing or even stopping and disabling it:

Code:

$ balooctl help
Usage: balooctl [options] command status enable disable start stop restart suspend resume check index clear config

Options:
  -v, --version  Displays version information.
  -h, --help     Displays this help.

Arguments:
  command        The command to execute
  status         Print the status of the indexer
  enable         Enable the file indexer
  disable        Disable the file indexer
  start          Start the file indexer
  stop           Stop the file indexer
  restart        Restart the file indexer
  suspend        Suspend the file indexer
  resume         Resume the file indexer
  check          Check for any unindexed files and index them
  index          Index the specified files
  clear          Forget the specified files
  config         Modify the Baloo configuration

So to pause it do:

$balooctl suspend

To disable:

$balooctl disable

I guess I am an odd one though because I actually use baloo extensively and love it.

Btw if baloo is the issue it should show up in the system monitor utilities (top, etc) where it is using a lot of cpu. I wouldn't disable it unless it is a problem as it will limit some other functionality.

Thanks. I've also added some path exceptions for indexing and baloo did the job in ca. 2 hours. I forgot to mention that during the indexing baloo wasn't shy to eat a lot of memory. In my case it was about 1.4 GB.

Now searching seems to work fine for me.

The problem is that baloo starts indexing after first login instantly e.g. after an update from kde4 and can make the very first impression of a sluggish DE.
nagmat84
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balloo was not part of my problem. I had and still have:
Code:

$> LC_ALL= LANG= balooctl status
Baloo File Indexer is running
Indexer state: Idle
Indexed 67451 / 67451 files
Current size of index is 1.14 GiB

And I did not want to disable Baloo because I actually use the semantic search. But anyway, as one can see Baloo is idle.

It was actually a cashing problem. I did the following:

• Log out of KDE
  • Switch to console
  • And for every user $user
    Code:

$> cd /var/tmp/kdecache-$user/
    $> find . -type f -exec rm '{}' ';'
    $> cd ~$user/.cache
    $> cd ~$user/.thumbnails

Now, KDE bolts.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks nagmat84,

Nice tip!
Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.29-r6, gcc-9.2.0 kernel-5.3.7-gentoo USE=experimental
John5788
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagmat84 wrote:
Balloo was not part of my problem. I had and still have:
Code:

$> LC_ALL= LANG= balooctl status
Baloo File Indexer is running
Indexer state: Idle
Indexed 67451 / 67451 files
Current size of index is 1.14 GiB

And I did not want to disable Baloo because I actually use the semantic search. But anyway, as one can see Baloo is idle.

It was actually a cashing problem. I did the following:

• Log out of KDE
  • Switch to console
  • And for every user $user
    Code:

$> cd /var/tmp/kdecache-$user/
    $> cd ~$user/.cache
    $> cd ~$user/.thumbnails

Now, KDE bolts.

Thanks for providing that tip. Running those commands helped clear up a lot of problems I was experiencing when upgrading from KDE4 to the new Plasma desktop
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: