[Solved] hplip headache
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: [Solved] hplip headache Reply with quote

Trying to install HP M127fn network printer. Got the scanner working, but printing is no go. Ran hp-setup, it finds the printer and reports success. Any attempt to print ends with I/O error. What are the troubleshooting steps with that hplip?

Code:
 ~ $ hp-info

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.16.8)
Device Information Utility ver. 5.2

Copyright (c) 2001-15 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.16.8)
System Tray Status Service ver. 2.0

Copyright (c) 2001-15 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

error: Unable to communicate with device (code=12): hp:/net/HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M127fn?ip=192.168.2.10
error:  Unable to open device hp:/net/HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M127fn?ip=192.168.2.10.

Last edited by Buffoon on Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
russK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffoon,

'hp-check' sometimes gives a helping hand.

Things to consider,

do you have the snmp USE flag?

do you use CUPS? When I built without snmp but with hpcups, my gnome printer applet found my HP 8600 printer and printed fine.

It was not until I added snmp use flag did hp-setup find the printer and set up the fax queue etc.

My 'equery uses':
Code:
$ equery uses hplip
[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[        : I - package is installed with flag     ]
[ Colors : set, unset                             ]
 * Found these USE flags for net-print/hplip-3.16.3:
 U I
 + + X                        : Enables scanner GUI dependencies with USE="scanner" where media-gfx/xsane is preferred over
                                media-gfx/sane-frontends
 - - doc                      : Add extra documentation (API, Javadoc, etc). It is recommended to enable per package instead of globally
 + + fax                      : Enable fax on multifunction devices which support it
 + + hpcups                   : Build the hpcups driver for cups (by HP)
 - - hpijs                    : Build the IJS driver for cups (Foomatic)
 - - kde                      : Enables kde-misc/skanlite as scanner GUI with USE="scanner X"
 + + libnotify                : Enable desktop notification support
 - - libusb0                  : Depend on virtual/libusb SLOT 0. Some old printers do not work with virtual/libusb SLOT 1.
 - - minimal                  : Only build internal hpijs/hpcups driver (not recommended at all, make sure you know what you are doing)
 - - parport                  : Enable parallel port for devices which require it
 + + policykit                : Enable PolicyKit authentication support
 + + python_targets_python2_7 : Build with Python 2.7
 + + qt4                      : Add support for the Qt GUI/Application Toolkit version 4.x
 + + scanner                  : Enable scanner on multifunction devices which support it
 + + snmp                     : Add support for net-analyzer/net-snmp which enables this driver to work over networks (both for server
                                and client)
 - - static-ppds              : Use statically-generated PPDs instead of Dynamic PPDs. Although this is deprecated some printers may
                                still need it to work properly. Use this flag if hp-setup fails to find/create a valid PPD file

HTH
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply. My log is here: https://paste.pound-python.org/show/kLHrUMCAFuZWMs6GrrgF/

I said earlier the scanner is working, it is not any more. I purchased this unit only because it is claimed to support Linux fully ...
russK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things that stuck out to me in your log were in the "INSTALLED CUPS PRINTER QUEUES" section, here's mine:

Code:
hp-check[6005]: info: :| INSTALLED CUPS PRINTER QUEUES |
hp-check[6005]: info: :---------------------------------
hp-check[6005]: info: :
hp-check[6005]: info: :[01mOfficejet_Pro_8600[0m
hp-check[6005]: info: :[01m------------------[0m
hp-check[6005]: info: :Type: Printer
hp-check[6005]: info: :Device URI: hp:/net/Officejet_Pro_8600?ip=192.168.1.20
hp-check[6005]: info: :PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/Officejet_Pro_8600.ppd
hp-check[6005]: info: :PPD Description: HP Officejet Pro 8600, hpcups 3.16.3
hp-check[6005]: info: :Printer status: printer Officejet_Pro_8600 is idle.  enabled since Mon 03 Oct 2016 09:10:45 PM EDT^M     ready to print^M
hp-check[6005]: info: :Communication status: Good
hp-check[6005]: info: :[01mOfficejet_Pro_8600_fax[0m
hp-check[6005]: info: :[01m----------------------[0m
hp-check[6005]: info: :Type: Fax
hp-check[6005]: info: :Device URI: hpfax:/net/Officejet_Pro_8600?ip=192.168.1.20
hp-check[6005]: info: :PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/Officejet_Pro_8600_fax.ppd
hp-check[6005]: info: :PPD Description: HP Fax4 hpcups
hp-check[6005]: info: :Printer status: printer Officejet_Pro_8600_fax is idle.  enabled since Mon 03 Oct 2016 09:01:09 PM EDT^M
hp-check[6005]: info: :Communication status: Good

Your ppd file was failed to be read and your queue said disabled. Did you do anything with the queue through the CUPS interface? Can you ping the printer IP address?

HTH
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed the ppd issue, had to add user to lp group. Didn't think it was necessary with network printer.

https://paste.pound-python.org/show/S1L0VID0201m4D9VkPI8/

Still same:

Code:
error: Unable to communicate with device (code=12): hp:/net/HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M127fn?ip=192.168.2.10
error:  Unable to open device hp:/net/HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M127fn?ip=192.168.2.10.
russK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another difference between your and mine is in External Dependencies, I have:

Code:
hp-check[6005]: info: :--------------------------
hp-check[6005]: info: :|  External Dependencies |
hp-check[6005]: info: :--------------------------
hp-check[6005]: info: : gs                   GhostScript - PostScript and PDF language interpreter and previewer REQUIRED        7.05            9.15            OK         -
hp-check[6005]: info: : scanimage            scanimage - Shell scanning program                           OPTIONAL        1.0             1.0.24          OK         -
hp-check[6005]: info: : xsane                xsane - Graphical scanner frontend for SANE                  OPTIONAL        0.9             0.999           OK         -
hp-check[6005]: info: : cups                 CUPS - Common Unix Printing System                           REQUIRED        1.1             2.1.3           OK         'CUPS Scheduler is running'
hp-check[6005]: info: : policykit            PolicyKit - Administrative policy framework                  OPTIONAL        -               0.113           OK         -
hp-check[6005]: info: : network              network -wget                                                OPTIONAL        -               1.18            OK         -
hp-check[6005]: info: : avahi-utils          avahi-utils                                                  OPTIONAL        -               0.6.32          OK         -
hp-check[6005]: info: : dbus                 DBus - Message bus system                                    REQUIRED        -               1.10.8          OK         -

I have net-dns/avahi installed.

I tried to look up my printer's IP address with 'avahi-resolve --address <IP-Address>'

It complained the daemon was not running.

I started the daemon and then it resolved.

Perhaps the daemon is not needed but maybe check if there is an avahi dependency.
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I have, do I need to enable some more flags?
Code:
 ~ $ equery u avahi
 * Found these USE flags for net-dns/avahi-0.6.32-r1:
 U I
 + + abi_x86_32               : 32-bit (x86) libraries
 - - autoipd                  : Build and install the IPv4LL (RFC3927) network address configuration daemon
 - - bookmarks                : Install the avahi-bookmarks application (requires dev-python/twisted-core and
                                dev-python/twisted-web)
 + + dbus                     : Enable dbus support for anything that needs it (gpsd, gnomemeeting, etc)
 - - doc                      : Add extra documentation (API, Javadoc, etc). It is recommended to enable per
                                package instead of globally
 + + gdbm                     : Add support for sys-libs/gdbm (GNU database libraries)
 - - gtk                      : Add support for x11-libs/gtk+ (The GIMP Toolkit)
 + + gtk3                     : Build the avahi-ui-gtk3 library, and use gtk3 for the avahi utilities under
                                USE=utils
 - - howl-compat              : Enable compat libraries for howl
 - - introspection            : Add support for GObject based introspection
 + + ipv6                     : Add support for IP version 6
 - - mdnsresponder-compat     : Enable compat libraries for mDNSResponder
 - - mono                     : Build Mono bindings to support dotnet type stuff
 - - nls                      : Add Native Language Support (using gettext - GNU locale utilities)
 - - python                   : Add optional support/bindings for the Python language
 - - qt4                      : Add support for the Qt GUI/Application Toolkit version 4.x
 - - test                     : Workaround to pull in packages needed to run with FEATURES=test.
                                Portage-2.1.2 handles this internally, so don't set it in
                                make.conf/package.use anymore
 - - utils                    : Install the avahi gtk+ utils avahi-discover, bssh, and bvnc
russK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. Mine is slightly different, I assume it's due to my profile, I don't have anything explicit in my /etc/portage otherwise:

Code:
# equery uses avahi
 * Found these USE flags for net-dns/avahi-0.6.32:
 U I
 + + abi_x86_32               : 32-bit (x86) libraries
 - - autoipd                  : Build and install the IPv4LL (RFC3927) network address configuration daemon
 - - bookmarks                : Install the avahi-bookmarks application (requires dev-python/twisted-core and
                                dev-python/twisted-web)
 + + dbus                     : Enable dbus support for anything that needs it (gpsd, gnomemeeting, etc)
 - - doc                      : Add extra documentation (API, Javadoc, etc). It is recommended to enable per
                                package instead of globally
 + + gdbm                     : Add support for sys-libs/gdbm (GNU database libraries)
 + + gtk                      : Add support for x11-libs/gtk+ (The GIMP Toolkit)
 - - gtk3                     : Build the avahi-ui-gtk3 library, and use gtk3 for the avahi utilities under
                                USE=utils
 - - howl-compat              : Enable compat libraries for howl
 + + introspection            : Add support for GObject based introspection
 + + ipv6                     : Add support for IP version 6
 - - mdnsresponder-compat     : Enable compat libraries for mDNSResponder
 - - mono                     : Build Mono bindings to support dotnet type stuff
 + + nls                      : Add Native Language Support (using gettext - GNU locale utilities)
 - - python                   : Add optional support/bindings for the Python language
 + + qt4                      : Add support for the Qt GUI/Application Toolkit version 4.x
 - - test                     : Workaround to pull in packages needed to run with FEATURES=test. Portage-2.1.2
                                handles this internally, so don't set it in make.conf/package.use anymore
 - - utils                    : Install the avahi gtk+ utils avahi-discover, bssh, and bvnc
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to think this printer of mine is not supported properly, although hplip claims full support. Maybe I should open a bug with them.
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SNMP was disabled in printer setup. It appears SNMP is needed for hplip to function properly.
russK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffoon,

I assume you mean the printer settings of the printer itself, yes I see it's enabled on my printer as well. I'm glad you found the solution.

I added this to the hplip troubleshooting section of the wiki: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/HPLIP

Regards
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

russK,

I installed W7 into a virtual machine to test the printer and it scanned and printed with SNMP disabled, so this is strictly Linux hplip requirement.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: