KDE4 applications won't start [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesnow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: KDE4 applications won't start [solved] Reply with quote

I recently started to upgrade to kde5 because the eselect info news message tole me to.

Big mistake. It's not stable for x86.

Problem is, kde4 doesn't work properly any more. Problem 1 is taskbar (what is it now called? Kicker was kde3) with the k menu doesn't start. I get a blank screen, the saved workspace appears, but no taskbar. System settings won't work from the command line.

Code:

jesnow@armstrong ~ $ systemsettings &
[1] 31060
jesnow@armstrong ~ $ systemsettings(31060): KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly.

[1]+  Exit 255                systemsettings
jesnow@armstrong ~ $

I had recompiled dbus and was back to sort of normal, now this. Seriously messed up and I don't know how to get back.

Last edited by jesnow on Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be the prelink/glibc bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=579546
jesnow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Seems to be the prelink/glibc bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=579546

Wow. I would never have figured this one out on my own. I did notice there was something to do with dbus, but the interaciton with prelink and glibc I would never have gotten. It seems to me that glibc is the culprit. I am running stable, so my prelink and dbus have been around forever, and glibc was rebuilt in recent memory, like a few days ago.

I will mask off the current glibc-2.22-r4, downgrade to 2.21 and restart everything and see what happens. BUT I should redo prelink too, right? Anyway I should have a data point for the bug discussion soon.

Many thanks.

Jon.
jesnow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, masking off glibc-2.22-r1 did the trick, with recompiling and rebooting just for good measure. As soon as they get 2.22 working again or stabilize 2.23, the fixed version will show up automatically.

Thanks again to genstorm.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: