How to connect to an xfinity hotspot??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crayztechnique
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: How to connect to an xfinity hotspot?? Reply with quote

Really curious about this. Trying to get an install going out at a campsite and we have to be able to connect to this xfinity hotspot. However you are normally redirected to a webpage where you enter your account credentials and only after that are you given internet access. I personally called xfinity and they said they don't support Linux so that doesn't help. Anyone know of an alternative to this??
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to connect to Xfinity just fine by connecting to their wifi and then entering your credentials in your browser. This assumes that you have a browser like Firefox to log in on. You will probably also want something like wicd, network manager or even the wpa_gui rather than trying to fight the command line on a strange network.

They will cover their behind all day but the fact is there is nothing OS specific about the log in process. The reason I can say with some confidence that this will work is because I've done it about a year ago with no issue whatsoever.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Networking & Security as it fits better here.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
crayztechnique
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
This assumes that you have a browser like Firefox to log in on.

Ok but I am not aware of the minimal installation image providing firefox. I'm wondering how to connect to this during an installation since I need internet. Does the live dvd provide firefox? I haven't used it before.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, sorry I misread your initial post.

But the answer is don't use the minimal CD since you need Firefox or similar. Use something suited to the task.

Third option is don't use internet at all. Copy /usr/portage from a working gentoo over via sneakernet and problem solved.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: