Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
wrap-up ... or lose it?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

He's not the messiah (He's a very naughty boy)
Yes, I agree
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Yes, I agree
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: wrap-up ... or lose it? Reply with quote

Good news, a tenth circle has been added to hell ...

can,we,have,the,developers,who,introduced,garbage,such,as,use_expand_n(-)?,use_expand_n1(-)
?,use_expand_n2(-)?,-use_expand_n3(-),-use_expand_n4(-),use_expand_n5(-)],explain,how,
users,are,supposed,to,provide,such,an,expression,in,the,places,where,support,is,provided,while
,being,readable,within,said,places?Did,anyone,think,about,how,this,might,work,out,for,those,
supporting,this,garbage?Do,we,need,to,do,likewise,and,make,bug,reports,using,similar,strings,
so,that,they,can,grasp,how,competely,annoying,it,is,when,an,unbroken,line,causes,the,text,to,
nolonger,wrap?

edit: wrapped :P

Last edited by khayyam on Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stupid_scripting_language_targets_fubar getting to you too? :lol:

This is why I prefer perl...
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
stupid_scripting_language_targets_fubar getting to you too? :lol:

Ant ... basically, yeah, it seems that every other thread requires that I scroll back and forth
constantly, which it not a good use of my sanity ;) I'm almost tempted to adopt the standard and
's/ /_/g' on all my posts. You have been warned ;)

best ... khay
Section_8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I run into one of these wide threads, I run this script on it:
Quote:
javascript:(function(){var%20D=document;F(D.body);function%20F(n){var%20u,r,c,x;if(n.nodeType==3){u=n.data.search(/\S{45}/);if(u>=0){r=n.splitText(u+45);n.parentNode.insertBefore(D.createElement('wbr'),r);}}else%20if((n.tagName!='STYLE')&&(n.tagName!='SCRIPT')){for(c=0;x=n.childNodes[c];++c){F(x);}}}D.body.innerHTML+='%20';})();

I have assigned to a button on the firefox bookmark bar.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Things certainly could be more wrappy at times... and while I do make them so when I come across them, I don't check each and every topic (well, sometimes I might, but not all the times!), so reports of such posts (or just topics they dwell in) are helpful. :]
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: wrappy times Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
Things certainly could be more wrappy at times...

Chiitoo ... the problem lies with the portage developers, and we might do all manner of things to
address it, but why should we need to. I doubt you could find a single post pre-dating use_expand
multilib, use_expand python, which needs reported/fixed, and that is the issue. If you develop
software that makes the process of supporting that software more difficult (and portage output
is already mind numbingly opaque without this added gumpf) then you are working against
development, not for it. That's what annoys me, I'm inclined to think that developers are
satisfying themselves in whatever they do, irregardless of anything else.

best ... khay
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the reason for the long lines might not lay here, but I do blame the forum software a bit for allowing things to get too wide, and I don't mind doing a bit of work to make things better in that regard. ^^

Curiously, the one you reported doesn't seem to be going too wide for me on QupZilla (QtWebEngine edition), and someone tried with Firefox and Chromium, and reported things looked fine for them as well.

Which browser does it happen with there? Normally I do see it as well, like in this topic I do at 1280x720 browser window-size already.

I'll do some more testing tomorrow/later today.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
Curiously, the one you reported doesn't seem to be going too wide for me on QupZilla (QtWebEngine edition), and someone tried with Firefox and Chromium, and reported things looked fine for them as well. Which browser does it happen with there? Normally I do see it as well, like in this topic I do at 1280x720 browser window-size already.

Chittoo ... firefox-38.7.0 ... and the resolution is 1280x800, with the browser full screen.

best ... khay
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hum. Just to confirm, khayyam, do you still see the issue in that particular post?

I have now additionally tried Firefox versions 45.0.1 and 38.7.1, Opera 12.16, Midori 0.4.3, and QupZilla 1.8.9 (QtWebKit edition), none of them revealing me the issue. That said, I do have a report here telling me that an elder version of Firefox did show a good amount of wideness.

What are the chances of something affecting this having occurred betwixt 38.7.0 and 38.7.1... -.^
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ocurring with latest palemoon 26.2.1 as well
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
Hum. Just to confirm, khayyam, do you still see the issue in that particular post?

Chiitoo ... yes, obviously, I wouldn't have reported it otherwise ;)

Chiitoo wrote:
What are the chances of something affecting this having occurred betwixt 38.7.0 and 38.7.1... -.^

Slim, because this is an ongoing issue (since the advent of expand_use multilib, python, etc).

best ... khay
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting .postbody { word-break: break-word } in the CSS would help a lot. And being a CSS-only thing, it has the advantage of not breaking copy+paste (much).

I'm not sure about browser support, but it's better than nothing.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam,

Finally got it with the help of Palemoon 26.2.1 (not sure why I didn't think of trying that one before; thanks, Tony0945!). The bugger might still not be pretty, but it should fit between 1280 pixels at least.

For this browser (QupZilla med QtWebEngine) this page gets only 1360 pixels wide (browser size) before the scroll bar appears, so something here must force the line changes. The breaks are after each question mark, as well as after the "n5(-".

For the bugger post that was mentioned, I had to go as low as 670 pixels wide before getting the scroll bar to appear. Testing with Palemoon, there's not a single break on the “can,we,have...” line in this topic.

Ant P.,

I'll pass that idea along via the tubes of mystery!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: