How to make icons visible in GTK3 app under KDE
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: How to make icons visible in GTK3 app under KDE Reply with quote

Hi, ALL,
I have one very weird situation.

I'm running KDE 4 and trying to develop for GTK+/wxWidgets.
What I'm seeing is:

- when the program compiles against GTK+2 and wxWidgets 3.1 everything is good - I can see all the icons (e.g. on the OK button).
- when the program compiles against GTK+3 and wxWidgets 3.1 the icons on the buttons are not visible.

I recently updated my compiler to gcc-5.2 to work with C++11. Then I ran revdep-rebuild against libstdc++6.
After revdep-rebuild finishes ones of the atoms said in the post-install message - if you don't see icons in you GTK application you can install a theme.

How do I know which themes are available? Is there a specific one for GTK+3? Which ones are known to work good and compatible with GTK+2?

I will try to upgrade an old machine to place GTK+3 with GNOME 3 but that will be really painful. Laptop wasn't updated for a long time....

Thank you.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you built systemsettings with USE=gtk you get a configuration module (inside 'Window Appearance' or sth like that) where you have control over the GTK2/3 themes in use.
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm,
Yes, I did:

Code:

IgorDellGentoo igor # emerge -pv systemsettings

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] kde-base/systemsettings-4.11.22-r1:4/4.11::gentoo  USE="gtk handbook kscreen opengl usb (-aqua) -debug {-test}" 0 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 KiB

So how do I set everything properly? Where is this configuration module? Also, it is working out of the box for GTK+2. Why do I need to install something for GTK+3?

Thank you.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to utilise your own curiosity there a bit, as I can not name you the exact location it was placed in KDE4. Maybe in 'Application Style'.
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently it looks like default theme does not provide the GTK+3 icons for KDE 4.
GTK+2, however, does.

Is there a theme for KDE4 which has the same set of icons as a default GTK+3 theme?

Thank you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: