Please manage the Best / Favorite / Prefered apps topics
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blugendoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Please manage the Best / Favorite / Prefered apps topics Reply with quote

Hi,

I suggest to archive/hide the old topics about
- Best App to...
- Favorite Tool for ...
- Preferred Way to ... (app related)
when they are really outdated.

There are often new tools, or completely redesigned apps, new versions that challenge previous choices, etc.

Those topics are nice to share tips and discover tools, but many of them are useless or they can even be misleading when they are too old.

Starting over a new thread would be much better, a few people wouldn't mind saying it again if their preferred app is still the same.

I gathered some examples:

BEST window manager for laps -- not KDE/Gnome
Best gui for Gentoo distro
best all around movie player?
Best mail client?
The Best Console App Thread
What is the best IRC client?
Best C++ IDE?
Which is the best UML tool for Gnome?
Best image viewer?
Favorite ripping tool?
Favorite Mail Reader?
Your favorite Jabber client?
Favorite KDE window decoration
Favorite IDE?
What's your prefered Internet Browser ?
Lightweight web browsers
Whats the prefered GUI?
Upload app

Some can still be relevant, maybe Starting X the prefered way?

My suggestions:
- Move those threads to a forum cemetery
- Create a Best/Favorite/Preferred (App/Tool) subforum
- Or suggest a standard "Best/Favorite" title format to ease search.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Please manage the Best / Favorite / Prefered apps topics Reply with quote

blugendoo wrote:
I suggest to archive/hide the old topics about - Best [...] - Favorite [...] - Preferred Way to [...] when they are really outdated.

blugendoo ... no, firstly, that would require a moderator to go through all such threads and decide what is relevent, or not ... a time consuming task. Secondly, what criteria would they use to judge relevency. Thirdly, these are opinion/comment threads, and as such may also contain their rational, code, configuration, etc, which may still be relevent. Fourthly, what benefit is to be gained ... contrasted with time/effort.

blugendoo wrote:
There are often new tools, or completely redesigned apps, new versions that challenge previous choices, etc.

Not for me their isn't ... I use the same tools today, pretty much, as I used when I first started using linux in the early to mid 90's. If we followed this logic then we should also move all non-systemd threads to the cemetery as that, being "new", "completely redesigned", etc, etc, is the only thing of relevence.

blugendoo wrote:
- Create a Best/Favorite/Preferred (App/Tool) subforum

Gentoo's userbase is, for the most part, experienced, capable, etc ... we are not Ubuntu, Mint, etc, and so don't need to treat our users as dumb. The above rings of some sort of product placement exercise.

best ... khay
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may summarize that for the gentoo wiki

the gentoo wiki should be the place for that.
blugendoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@khayyam
I agree with most of your points.

Regarding threads not becoming irrelevant I beg to differ, some things have really changed :
- Web browsers, 2010: Firefox 4x new design drove crazy many users that left it for another browser ( and some project started in reaction: [product placement]Pale Moon, my new choice[/product placement] )
- Image editor and Gimp vs Photoshop: what about the new Gimp fork tailored to mimic Photoshop ? [product placement]that's Gimpshop, if you ask[/product placement]
- Image editors: there some new comers here (I spare you the product placement)
- Movie Players: XBMC changed (not only the name), VLC has some great new features, there's media boxes everywhere.
- Web browsers again: new Opera fork coming, worth a try?
- KDE: 4 , 5/plasma ... enough said

@tw04l124
I see what you mean for the wiki. I feel it would lack some direct feedback. If each task/activity theme has at least a few maintainers it could work.

Regarding khayyam remark about Gentoo's user base, what I read in this forum lead me to think:
- Gentoo users are interested in some app advice or by what others use for a task.
- Gentoo community is dynamic and involved
Maybe I was mislead, but if it's true and if we can organize this, that would spare me periodic reviews and googling about "10 best xxxx tools for xxx" with random results and often outdated advice.
Sourcing the right tool for a task is time consuming, and sharing what one has found is valuable.

Anyway, we'll have to stick to google sourcing as main inspiration.
Thanks for replying :wink:
MarioCorleone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in Linux, it's all about choice. There are no "best" anything for a given "task", there are always a few/many different tools for the same "task". It's really about what the user needs/prefers. What one person uses and "gloats" about could be complete opposite of what the other three think and feel. I'll usually see what's out there to handle "task x", read several reviews, try a few to see which one I like better, and go that route.

User preference
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blugendoo,

The Gentoo userbase are all system admins. Many of them may not recognise that but its a role that using Gentoo foists upon a user.

Every system admin is free to select the tools that there use to suit their own (or their user base) working environment.
The forums serves as a repository of knowledge and opinions, all of which change with time.
The forum is ill suited to keeping current as it can only be organised by the forum mods and admins. Forum mods and admins explicitly do not have an editorial role in the forums content.

What you suggest certainly has a place but it needs to be a place where editing and organising is expected, even encouraged.
That would be a wiki.

I actually find the old information on the forum useful too but see Old Fashioned Gentoo Install to see why.

Do not confuse 'New' with better or 'Changed' with improved.
New usually means 'broken' and changed is really just different.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
blugendoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all answers.
I understand, and I'll think about it some more before suggesting something else about this idea. :idea:
Right now I have a Gentoo install to complete... :o
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blugendoo wrote:
Regarding threads not becoming irrelevant I beg to differ, some things have really changed :

blugendoo ... that is a matter of opinion, and regardless, the existance of new apps does not make those threads "irrelevant".

blugendoo wrote:
- Web browsers, 2010: Firefox 4x new design drove crazy many users that left it for another browser (and some project started in reaction: [product placement]Pale Moon, my new choice[/product placement] )

There are various threads/discussions on the subject of alternatives to firefox/chromium ... palemoon, midori, dwb, qupzilla, dillo, etc ... and similarly on the design/direction of mozilla/chrome. Even if this were not the case, it would still not make threads discussing firefox, etc, "irrelevant".

blugendoo wrote:
- Image editor and Gimp vs Photoshop: what about the new Gimp fork tailored to mimic Photoshop ? [product placement]that's Gimpshop, if you ask[/product placement]
[... snip ...]

You're not really making your case, so there is a fork of x,y,z , does that necessarily imply that users need informed of its existance? That is what I ment by "product placement", if anyone has a question on the subject they can post it, but we don't really need to advertise such things, we're not selling "hot new apps", we are a support community.

best ... khay
blugendoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@khayyam : thanks for coming back and having the patience to elaborate on your views, I appreciate that.

As said above, I'll try to suggest something else with those remarks in mind, maybe from my brand new Gentoo if I succeed :wink:
MarioCorleone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with you build, its not bad/hard at all, as long as you follow the handbook/guides.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: