KDE4: "konversation" broken due to KDE5 support
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomtom69
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: KDE4: "konversation" broken due to KDE5 support Reply with quote

Hi,

eselect news showed that KDE4 will be unmaintained in the future but I did not expect this to happen this fast.
Due to KDE 5 support by default, net-irc/konversation got an update from version 1.5.1 to 1.6. However version 1.6 wants to pull in a lot of KDE5 stuff which causes many conflicts/blocks.
So I masked konversation>=1.6 and unmasked =konversation-1.5.1 to keep the KDE4-compatible konversation.
But now I cannot update my system because a dependency of konversation-1.5.1 also got removed. When trying to update world, I get the following:

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "app-crypt/qca-ossl:2".
(dependency required by "net-irc/konversation-1.5.1::gentoo" [installed])
(dependency required by "@selected" [set])
(dependency required by "@world" [argument])

Any hint on how to keep konversation with KDE4 for a little longer?
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Teegrins, tomtom69!

I've been maintaining, sort of, a kdepim-free build of Konversation for some time, and I think it should still work fine for you as well... however, I really need to give it some time to make sure it's all up-to-date still, and I need to do that soon.

The app-crypt/qca-ossl issue is due to a changed dependency, which occurred already before version 1.6 (if memory serves me right-like... it very well might not), and one can satisfy it with a simple edit of the ebuild. It needs to have something like

Code:
crypt? ( app-crypt/qca:2[openssl]

instead of the old (I'd suggest making a local overlay for it if you want to give it a go).

Another short-term workaround could be simply excluding Konversation from your world updates, so that you'd at least get those done (for example by making use of the '--exclude' option). Keeping old versions of things around will likely introduce issues sooner or later, though, which is definitely something to keep in mind!

Sore wa sore, kore wa kore.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konversation:5 does not pull in kdepim stuff, just frameworks.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, didn't mean to say that at all. Apologies for making it seem like that!

Indeed, it's the old 1.5.1 that I was referring to.

To add a few thoughts on my first post: it might be better in general to go for the Plasma/Frameworks 5, for which much guides and help exists already here, and at our wikki, but if that's not a real option for the time being, this definitely isn't something that should block a world update (and it doesn't, with some tinkering or simple added options).

That said, I'm still using KDE4 myself, with lots of Qt5 around but indeed haven't made the jump to... hmmm, “KDE Split”. Maybe soon.

Sore wa sore, kore wa kore.
tholin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also ran into this problem with konversation. For now I removed konversation from my world file but that's not a longterm solution. The ebuild for the old 1.5.1 konversation is already gone from portage. When kde 4 was first released there was an overlay with the old kde 3 stuff called kde-sunset I think. Is there anything similar for kde 4? I know it's a very bad idea to use outdated software but plasma 5 is nowhere near ready right now and probably won't be for a few years still.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tholin wrote:
When kde 4 was first released there was an overlay with the old kde 3 stuff called kde-sunset I think. Is there anything similar for kde 4?

No reason we can't start one; kde-quatro would be a nice name. :-)
Quote:
I know it's a very bad idea to use outdated software but plasma 5 is nowhere near ready right now and probably won't be for a few years still.

Absolutely. It's clear from the other thread, that Plasma and KDE5 are still in beta-test stage; which is fine in and of itself, but not so great if people aren't interested in beta-testing, but want a working desktop they can ignore for the most part, because it just does its job unobtrusively.

KDE has progressively got later and later at shipping a reasonable desktop; used to be, X.1 would be stable, and X.2 decent, then it slipped a bit: 3.2 was stable, and it got good (for me) at 3.4.
Then 4.x was awful, not even stable until you disabled semantic-craptop, made simpler by just disabling nubkit first.
It took til 4.6 or 4.7 before I could get it working reasonably, and it only seemed like an upgrade at 4.9 when "Attach as Tab to.." came in, a simple use of the "process" abstraction which mitigated the awful "zany" taskbar behaviour.

We're going to wait at least a couple of years before chancing KDE5.

Personally, I'd love a working KMail1 again, though we switched to mutt rather than take on semantic-craptop and the full-blown, crappy SQL database server on every desktop and laptop (not to mention the various layers of "convenient" database "abstraction".)

Still, kde-quatro sounds fun, and useful for at least a couple of years.
Got a server we can host it on, but I'm useless at maintaining an overlay of ebuilds.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Personally, I'd love a working KMail1 again, though we switched to mutt rather than take on semantic-craptop and the full-blown, crappy SQL database server on every desktop and laptop (not to mention the various layers of "convenient" database "abstraction".)

Fyi, Gentoo still provides pre-akonadi kmail-4.4 and it is usable even in a Plasma-5 workspace. Probably not a lot of people are aware of that.
tomtom69
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for yor help.
At the moment I use "--exclude konversation" which enables me to keep my system updated.

Quote:

Fyi, Gentoo still provides pre-akonadi kmail-4.4 and it is usable even in a Plasma-5 workspace. Probably not a lot of people are aware of that

Oh, that's good to know. Moving to a different kmail is one of the things that kept me from updating to plasma.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: