kde plasma 5 desktop and two x servers
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hebbe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: kde plasma 5 desktop and two x servers Reply with quote

Hi,

I have updated KDE to newest plasma 5. I had a configuration with two monitors and two x servers in KDE 4 and it was working fine. After updating to plasma 5 my right screen is just black. When I move my mouse cursor to it I get the X cursor symbol. I have spent some time to try to understand what is happening, but I don't know. If I look in nvidia-settings I get a confirmation that I have two screens. I have switched to sddm.

Can somebody please help?

Thanks!
Markus09
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried to configure your two monitors using the "system settings" from kde?
System Settings -> Display and Monitor -> Display configuration

Do you see the monitors there?
hebbe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only see one screen in System Settings -> Display and Monitor -> Display configuration.

Isn't that correct since I have tried to configure with 2 x servers and they will work independent.

My impression is that the x server on the right screen doesn't start for some reason, but I don't know for sure.
allistarM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an issue of needing two separate X servers a couple of years ago with a version of KDE that wouldn't allow it. In the end I ran a difference desktop (lxde) on the 2nd x-server. Since then I have upgraded to an Nvidia card that allows for "twinview" with 4 monitors, so I can now have a single KDE (or plasma) session spanning my 3 displays. If you can't get it working perhaps you need to go with a different display manager on the other x server.
hebbe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. How do I actually configure a setup like this? I have no idea about how to start.
allistarM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick was to define two screens in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, like this:

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
  Identifier "Default Layout"
  screen 0 "Screen A"
  screen 1 "Screen B" RightOf "Screen A"
  InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
  InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
EndSection

I think the nvidia settings gui application will do this for you. In my case "Screen A" was defined as a twinview screen which consisted of two monitors, screen B was running a separate X server on a third monitor. You can move the mouse between the X screens but you cannot drag windows between them. I didn't mind this, but my setup is much nicer now that I have an nvidia card which support 4 displays.
MasterPrenium
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I was having the same setup and also the same problem (black second screen, just mouse pointer).
So I did the same as you, go a a single kde session which is expanded across the two monitors (1 XScreen).

But, I'm getting a really annoying issue, it seems bvirtual desktop of both monitors are linked and cannot be independent. Its really a pity for me I need to be able to switch to virtual desktop on monitor 1, while monitor 2 stays on its current virtual desktop.

That's why I'm thinking of working again to get a separate Xscreen... Will keep you in touch if I succeed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: